Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Mikvah during birthright trip
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:51 am
We are scheduled to go on a birthright couples trip but my period is late and it looks like I’ll need to go to the Mikvah during our trip. I know there are lots of Mikvah’s all over Israel but I’m nervous about being able to get to a Mikvah with all the traveling and being surrounded by so many people. I was hoping if any of you have experienced a birthright trip and could tell me if Mikvah would be at all doable. If not I’m afraid I’ll need to cancel and forfeit my deposit plus give up on a great opportunity of seeing Israel for the first time in our lives.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:01 am
Totally doable. When I went on Birthright we were stationed in the Old City. I'm sure there is a Mikva there that can be walked to. (Not sure how nice or modern it would be, but think about the holiness).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:06 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Totally doable. When I went on Birthright we were stationed in the Old City. I'm sure there is a Mikva there that can be walked to. (Not sure how nice or modern it would be, but think about the holiness).

Thanks. Yes we were thinking it would be a beautiful experience especially since we are ttc. But my understanding was that you keep traveling to different areas throughout the country and are always together as a group.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:18 am
My trip was 10 days. We were in the Old City the whole time for the night, except for one night in Teveria.

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:20 am
No personal experience with this, but I assume that the itinerary for your trip has been set. If you've already got it, look to see where you'll be on the nights you're most likely to need to go, and then look online and/or post here for your options in those locations. If they haven't sent you the itinerary yet, you should be able to email them and ask for it.

If you'll be in a small place far from cities like Yerushalayim, be aware that the local mikvah may not be open so late, and you may need to contact them in advance to make special arrangements, if you're not free to go until after the Birthright programming has finished for the day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My trip was 10 days. We were in the Old City the whole time for the night, except for one night in Teveria.

Thank you! Did you have free time at night with enough privacy to have gone to the Mikvah without making an announcement?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:23 am
Didn’t they give you an itinerary? Don’t you know where you’ll be staying?
On the night you have to go just tell them that you’re meeting up with some people and you’ll be back in two hours.
If you tell us where you’ll be staying we can direct you to a nice Mikva.
Of course don’t cancel the trip because of the Mikva! You’ll be in a Jewish country with access to so many mikvaos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:23 am
doctorima wrote:
No personal experience with this, but I assume that the itinerary for your trip has been set. If you've already got it, look to see where you'll be on the nights you're most likely to need to go, and then look online and/or post here for your options in those locations. If they haven't sent you the itinerary yet, you should be able to email them and ask for it.

If you'll be in a small place far from cities like Yerushalayim, be aware that the local mikvah may not be open so late, and you may need to contact them in advance to make special arrangements, if you're not free to go until after the Birthright programming has finished for the day.

Thanks! I’m waiting for them to email me the exact trip itinerary since I joined this group last minute. I was just wondering if Mikvah would be at all shayech given that I’m bound to a schedule and a group of people

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Didn’t they give you an itinerary? Don’t you know where you’ll be staying?
On the night you have to go just tell them that you’re meeting up with some people and you’ll be back in two hours.
If you tell us where you’ll be staying we can direct you to a nice Mikva.
Of course don’t cancel the trip because of the Mikva! You’ll be in a Jewish country with access to so many mikvaos.

Thanks I appreciate your response. I just started freaking out about my schedule being messed up and all. You’re helping me calm down

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:29 am
Yes there was plenty of free time on my trip. What a fun trip it was. A number of couples got married after that trip (it was an Orthodox, coed, slightly older population trip - I was 25).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:39 am
I had to go while in Israel. I ended up pushing off because mt husband wasn't there and I don't speak Hebrew and was just worried of the stress.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:45 am
What about birth control to push your cycle iff? Is that doable?

banana123

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
What about birth control to push your cycle iff? Is that doable?

Or the progesterone-only pill that isn't birth control but pushes your period off.
Here it's called Primolat Nur.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:57 am
banana123 wrote:
Or the progesterone-only pill that isn't birth control but pushes your period off.
Here it's called Primolat Nur.

AFAIK you could only take that a week before ur expected period. I’m on day 32 of my cycle

clowny

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
AFAIK you could only take that a week before ur expected period. I’m on day 32 of my cycle

Maybe you’re pregnant??? Is that at all possible?? And in that case- no need to worry about mikvah??

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:28 pm
Or maybe you ovulate late, like I do. Time to invest in some ovulation test strips.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are scheduled to go on a birthright couples trip but my period is late and it looks like I’ll need to go to the Mikvah during our trip. I know there are lots of Mikvah’s all over Israel but I’m nervous about being able to get to a Mikvah with all the traveling and being surrounded by so many people. I was hoping if any of you have experienced a birthright trip and could tell me if Mikvah would be at all doable. If not I’m afraid I’ll need to cancel and forfeit my deposit plus give up on a great opportunity of seeing Israel for the first time in our lives.

I wouldn‘t worry about mikva in Israel, it will be everywhere and in any case every evening the program ends sooner or later. Yes the day is packed but at the evening people eventually have to go to sleep or go out to explore etc., you can always say that you are going to meet up a friend who made alia years ago. When you know the day you can ask here and people will tell you where to go. I wouldn‘t mess with medications.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:01 pm
Not true about needing to take something a week before- call dr today

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 2:46 am
OP, when you know your schedule, let us who know mikvaot in Israel, try to help you out with where you can go near wherever you are staying on mikvah night.
Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 4:11 pm
Thank you for all the offers to help w Mikvah in Israel. At this point it does look like I might be able to go before leaving but only the day of our flight. We are flying out of Newark at 9pm. Technically I cud go near the airport but they wrote on the email that we need to be there by 4 which is before the shkiya. Any clue why we need to be at the airport 5 hrs before takeoff?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics