Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Zanvel Zevulun's Chanukah PTSD
Previous  1  2  3  4

top mom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:54 pm
MangoSmoothie wrote:
Um, not sure how that could be possible. I don't want to be yenta-ish with my math, but if she was in her first trimester last chanukah at the end of December, then that would mean the triplets should have been born in May at the very earliest if they were early, so I don't see how it's possible for them to have younger siblings yet. But maybe the triplets are changing their own diapers while Mommy is on bedrest again?

How did you guess? Wink
And! It's quintuplets this time!
I outdid myself! There's actually no one else to outdo Tongue Out
I asked the Rabbi if there's any exemption for someone in my situation, he checked several reliable sources, and he claims that, nope! Chanukah minhagim are extremely heilig. If we drop even one donut flavor in our generation, who knows where our precious offspring will end up? Will they even know what a ky jelly donut tastes like? How about eggs and liver donuts? Salmon donuts!
These are part of our mesorah!
So.... Back to the frying pan I go... I mean hobble.

top mom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:07 pm
ETA I did get some heterim for this year, though, before all you modern women start your tirades!
But! Don't think this applies to anyone, UNLESS! you also have newborn triplets, are on bed rest with quints, and have toddler quads, so remember to AYLOR!
So this year, actually, a flavor may be repeated up to 3 times, I do not have to wear heels during frying, Shabbos flats are fine, I can wear my comfortable sheitel, as long as it's freshly set, I do not need a full face of make-up, some light lipstick, blush and eyeliner is fine. I only have to polish the menorah every other night, phew Whew , and I can use the food processor for the latkes!
Wow, I feel like I'm being such a lousy, lazy Rebetzin, with all these heterim. I will obviously push myself to not have to rely on them.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:39 pm
I just wanted to interrupt briefly to extend my heartfelt thanks to Yael for creating imamother. If not for her I would never have had the opportunity to learn about KY jelly donuts. I will never look at a chanuka donut the same way again.

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:59 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
this had me cracking up. does anyone know the actual spelling or pronunciation of this word?
this entire thread it's purely hysterical. where was I erev chanuka 2019??

Mima nafshuch?
https://judaism.stackexchange......shuch

tante_feige

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:01 pm
MangoSmoothie wrote:
Um, not sure how that could be possible. I don't want to be yenta-ish with my math, but if she was in her first trimester last chanukah at the end of December, then that would mean the triplets should have been born in May at the very earliest if they were early, so I don't see how it's possible for them to have younger siblings yet. But maybe the triplets are changing their own diapers while Mommy is on bedrest again?

Did you miss the reproductive examples set by Chava and the noshim tzidkonios in Egypt?

MangoSmoothie

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:43 pm
top mom wrote:
ETA I did get some heterim for this year, though, before all you modern women start your tirades!
But! Don't think this applies to anyone, UNLESS! you also have newborn triplets, are on bed rest with quints, and have toddler quads, so remember to AYLOR!
So this year, actually, a flavor may be repeated up to 3 times, I do not have to wear heels during frying, Shabbos flats are fine, I can wear my comfortable sheitel, as long as it's freshly set, I do not need a full face of make-up, some light lipstick, blush and eyeliner is fine. I only have to polish the menorah every other night, phew Whew , and I can use the food processor for the latkes!
Wow, I feel like I'm being such a lousy, lazy Rebetzin, with all these heterim. I will obviously push myself to not have to rely on them.

I'm horrified! The Shabbos flats heter I've heard of, although I thought it was for the more modern, the light makeup heter I'll admit to using the day after birth, but polishing the menorah every other night?!?! How exactly will R' Zanvel fulfil his holy obligation for persumai neisa with a menorah that isn't perfectly gleaming? And using a food processor for the latkes?!?! No words, really no words. Didn't you go to the food processor asifah last year? I'll be dan lkaf zchus that it was when you were in the hospital after birth... I would really question which rav is paskening for you. I know it might be tempting to go to a more modern rav but for someone on your madreigah...

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I just wanted to interrupt briefly to extend my heartfelt thanks to Yael for creating imamother. If not for her I would never have had the opportunity to learn about KY jelly donuts. I will never look at a chanuka donut the same way again.

Makes me think of what might be hiding out in the custard? 🤢
Yup, thanks Yael. I’ll have an easier time refraining this year.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:51 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Makes me think of what might be hiding out in the custard? 🤢
Yup, thanks Yael. I’ll have an easier time refraining this year.

You should NOT give in to your taives like that that’s totally going down a slippery slope of starting to go down this route.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:42 am
top mom wrote:

Wait, are you bringing your shailos to someone other than your heilig ZZZ?

top mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:07 am
imasinger wrote:
Wait, are you bringing your shailos to someone other than your heilig ZZZ?

OBVIOUSLY NOT! Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
I mean- duh!
That's why it was important to me to clarify that it's only for someone in my very specific situation, but rest assured that Rabbi ZZZ kept on encouraging me to not be bedieved, and rely on these heterim.
I'm just picturing myself, a triplet in each arm, one in a baby carrier, attached to my back, my pregnant tummy adorning my front, blissfully frying donuts, while tottering in 5 inch heels, trying not to bite my lips, my face done up- Chassunah style, curly sheitel framing my dripping face, blowing side to side to get the bangs out of the way, 4 toddlers threatening to get my freshly dry cleaned white skirt to the floor, this scenario should earn me SOME schar? No??

Mango smoothie, I have to admit- food processor asifa had me LOL LOL LOL
I was actually one of the main speakers, remember the pregnant one? Mine is still in its plastic wrapping obviously, I hope I'll get through another Chanukah without having to succumb to its yetzer hara! Amein!

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:36 am
I am... speechless (with laughter). Not worthy

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:46 am
Wow Topmom
You really are so over the top
I’m in awe

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 12:01 pm
Mrs. Z, I am horrified by the amount of heterim you've found yourself.
Don't you know the story of the man who found different shitas for everything and when he died he was given a cup of tea according to the shita that tea is gan eden? Well that was my grandfather and since then we always, always, go according to the more machmir shita.
This year the father of my children (I don't know what is wrong with the 'h word' but my teacher in high school was makpid to only say it like this [BTW I'm serious]) found a new chumra. We are going to deep fry everything likovod chanuka!
I started already. I've made 72 types of doughnuts (chai times daled minim), deep fried 32 types of latkes (8 days times daled minim) deep fried all the shoes (they are now waterproof against the snow and rain) and the babies bottles. They're just a bit out of shape now.
My only problem is, and maybe you can help me with this? Is that I'm very very makpid only to wear horsehair shaitels, so that it should be as obvious as possible that it's fake.
Now that I've deep fried my shaitel my children's father says that it looks now exactly like my hair (black and oily). Like my hair before the wedding of course, now I shave. So do you maybe have some purple hair dye? I thought that could help.

InnerMe

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:21 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Don't you know the story of the man who found different shitas for everything and when he died he was given a cup of tea according to the shita that tea is gan eden? Well that was my grandfather and since then we always, always, go according to the more machmir shita.
This year the father of my children (I don't know what is wrong with the 'h word' but my teacher in high school was makpid to only say it like this [BTW I'm serious]) found a new chumra. We are going to deep fry everything likovod chanuka!
I started already. I've made 72 types of doughnuts (chai times daled minim), deep fried 32 types of latkes (8 days times daled minim) deep fried all the shoes (they are now waterproof against the snow and rain) and the babies bottles. They're just a bit out of shape now.
My only problem is, and maybe you can help me with this? Is that I'm very very makpid only to wear horsehair shaitels, so that it should be as obvious as possible that it's fake.
Now that I've deep fried my shaitel my children's father says that it looks now exactly like my hair (black and oily). Like my hair before the wedding of course, now I shave. So do you maybe have some purple hair dye? I thought that could help.

I am truly sorry about your dilemma but purple hair dye????? That is very unbecoming and untzenius. I suggest you rather dip it into grey paint.

Ps. Have you fried yet your child's father's yarmulka? Also his glasses and undershirt? I think that'll do the trick.

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:48 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

Have you now tossed your deep fryer? Horsehair is TREIF! The chumra way to fix this is throwing out the deep fryer, the bottle of oil used to fill it, and any utensils used to put it in or remove it from the fryer. Also, it would be best if you changed your countertop that the fryer sat on. Is there a cabinet above the fryer? If yes, everthing inside needs to be tossed out along with the cabinet itself.

I really hope you didn't do the frying in a pan or pot on the stove as you would need to replace the stove-not just the stove top, but the entire oven too! You can never be too careful!

By the way, if the shoes you fried are leather-same problem. How do you know if the leather came from an kosher animal and if the kosher animal was shechted according to halacha!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics