Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does a magazine that represents klal yisroel exist?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sky

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:07 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
The hamodia had a special coverage on it

Pages and pages. I was so moved by the coverage.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:12 pm
Tbh I didn't get to read the whole article, was repulsed almost immediately when they reported it like some scoop they found on some eccentric community in a remote location. So there are some 100 satmar families, does that make it a satmar tragedy? Was this a crime against satmar? Come on
Imagine if kletzky story was reported as, in the BP community being that the a lot of mothers allow their 9 year olds to walk the streets alone.. or Mumbai.. being that chabad sends their young couples to far flung locales with questionable security... who would focus on shtussim like that? It's a tragedy for all of klal yisroel, everyone from the right to left was involved, only the mishpacha makes it seems like some squirmish in some remote setting that they unearthed. To those who didn't want to read about it, did you honestly not expect it? Wasn't it worth writing about? The reason it rubbed me like that is also because I've lately suspected that they are becoming more condescending of those not exactly like them. That's really what's bothering me. Btw it bothers me when the political pieces are so 1 track minded, their candidate can do no wrong, everyone else is the worst ever... right orleft, it's sad when publications are so narrowminded

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:12 pm
Humans by nature are narrow-minded. We try to be better but it's a default setting that will always be something to overcome. (I say this not as commentary on magazines or anyone just on the human condition)

This is why we have checks and balances - aka the Reader's Page. Write how you feel! Only you have your voice. Share your passion the way the writer of the article shared his/hers.

A writer/magazine is not Moses coming down from Sinai with the word of G-d, only another human's point of view that happened to be printed where a lot of other humans can see it. That is a great responsibility, and sometimes it succeeds, and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, give voice to the other side of the story that you see and the writer doesn't!

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:14 pm
I read the article and all I saw was a tragic event that happened to all Jews. I don't know why you're interpreting it the way you have, but I didn't interpret it that way at all.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:16 pm
I read the mishpacha coverage. I didn't that "tone" from it at all.???
Also, maybe this coming week they will have more. The chanukah issue was probably already planned mostly months in advance and they needed another week to cover this tragedy properly and do it justice.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:25 pm
Perhaps it's all in my head as some have mentioned, halevei
As of now I'm just so done with the mag I can't stomach the thought of buying them this week. Do you think the ami is more inclusive, all things being equal?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:26 pm
Ami is less inclusive imo.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:28 pm
Any suggestions? I'm literally pining for a mag that can be for every yid, do I need to start it??😳

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:35 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Any suggestions? I'm literally pining for a mag that can be for every yid, do I need to start it??😳

I'm so confused. I find Mishpacha to be quite inclsuive, they feature all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds- they don't push one way, or one sect. They even had pictures of all the victims, breaking their usual stance on pics of women ( yes it was a tiny pic, but a picture just the same). You didnt even read the article! I just dont understand how you can bash coverage you didnt read?? It's honestly bizarre.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:42 pm
Honestly I think the main issue your having is that the journalist who covered this particular piece did so in a professional manner as opposed to taking a more emotional/ heimish warm approach, I.e acknowledging the pain of the greater jewish world here, not just the 100 so families in JC. You're having an issue with one man's rushed piece, lets not put his inability to deliver on an entire magazine. no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:59 pm
I'm not sure why noticing the pic of the victim would make me or the victim or her loved ones feel better. I don't need to read the whole article to find they wrote from a distance since it was what I felt from the beginning. The mishpacha is basically an Agudah magazine. They claim to represent all jewry but that's a stretch. I was disillusioned, that's all

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:05 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Honestly I think the main issue your having is that the journalist who covered this particular piece did so in a professional manner as opposed to taking a more emotional/ heimish warm approach, I.e acknowledging the pain of the greater jewish world here, not just the 100 so families in JC. You're having an issue with one man's rushed piece, lets not put his inability to deliver on an entire magazine. no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Like many mentioned it's a magazine not a newspaper, which makes the "professional approach" even weirder. It sounded like a secular oot newspaper may have reported it. Also like others mentioned it was almost a week later, why would you say its rushed? And who's interested in reading it like the basic news bit if they heard the basics already? All that's left is the warm condolences which were blatantly missing. For shame. Ftr the secular media was more comforting imo

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:08 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Like many mentioned it's a magazine not a newspaper, which makes the "professional approach" even weirder. It sounded like a secular oot newspaper may have reported it. Also like others mentioned it was almost a week later, why would you say its rushed? And who's interested in reading it like the basic news bit if they heard the basics already? All that's left is the warm condolences which were blatantly missing. For shame. Ftr the secular media was more comforting imo

Which only proves my point, this particular journalist didn't do a good job. It's disappointing.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:26 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Which only proves my point, this particular journalist didn't do a good job. It's disappointing.

Neh I've been getting this vibe that its become more close minded lately and I've be buying this for years. This was the last straw

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:28 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Neh I've been getting this vibe that its become more close minded lately and I've be buying this for years. This was the last straw

What types of articles/ op eds/ features would u include in your magazine for every yid

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:43 pm
Lifesagift,it sound like you are Satmar from home.
I am not. Not even chassidish. (I used "from home" because you said your heimish.)

I read the article. You're right that it wasn't as gut wrenching as the coverage of other tragedies, but be dan lkaf zchus. You don't know the back story of why this is so. Neither do I.

It easy a snub against satmar. Mishpacha is very inclusive, IMO, featuring all types of ppl, from Chabad to MO, chassidish to yeshivish to out of all the boxes! Lol! Smile

I think that since your close family and friends live in Jersey City, it harder t you.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:45 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
What types of articles/ op eds/ features would u include in your magazine for every yid

Good question, I would fsure try to have a mix of all types working together to get that... who's in....Wink

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:49 pm
lifesagift wrote:
Good question, I would fsure try to have a mix of all types working together to get that... who's in....Wink

Do you think Mishpacha has only "Agudah people" working for them? Because I know for a fact the staff is comprised of all types from all over, chassidish, yeshivish, MO, etc.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Do you think Mishpacha has only "Agudah people" working for them? Because I know for a fact the staff is comprised of all types from all over, chassidish, yeshivish, MO, etc.

All of these can be agudah people.. satmar is specifically not Agudah. In Israel politics also... oy don't get me started..

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:59 pm
lifesagift wrote:
All of these can be agudah people.. satmar is specifically not Agudah. In Israel politics also... oy don't get me started..

In Israel politics...what? Just curious...
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room