Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does a magazine that represents klal yisroel exist?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:55 pm
lifesagift wrote:
I do have friends n neighbors that are satmar, not sure if I mentioned it, so yeah, it hurts that they're being treated like *the other. Ftr I don't know a soul from jc, I don't even know ao who knows someone from there so it's not like I was more related here than the average yid.

Theyre not being treated as other! I'm so confused what's fueling your anger and what your problem here is!
You're quoting five different thigns that bothered you with this article, and you just seem angry at them in general.
I'm a true blue Satmar through and through and Mishpacha is my favorite magazine. I've written for them, I'm on a first name basis with a lot of the staff, I've been in touch with Sruly Besser numerous times.
They are all wonderful people from top to bottom.
I don't understand what your problem is.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:17 am
I guess I came with high expectations and just experienced a huge letdown, sorry, I guess I need to reshuffle reading sources a bit. I'm sure the people working for mishpacha are wonderful people, never doubted that. Yisroel Besser is 1 of my favorite writers there, I'm gonna venture a guess that if either 1 of you would've been tasked to write it up it would've been more meaningful. I truly apologize if I offended anyone, pls lmk, it was not intended.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:11 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
You know, this thread is rather revealing.
Nobody said “Are you nuts? Would you want to read a magazine with articles by Hashomer Hatzair lurking between articles by the Skverer Rebbe and Rav Herschel Schachter? “ Nobody said “Ha! You’d never get anyone from Agudah to contribute to a publication that accepts articles by Reform writers .”

Nobody mentioned non-Orthodox or secular Jews at all. The logical conclusion is that imamothers consider Klal Yisrael to be made up solely of Orthodox Jews running the vast gamut from MO lite aka barely frum to ultra Orthodox aka meshugeh-cult frum, and who, as we know, make up at least 95% of the world’s Jewish population.

NOT. Orthodox Jews comprise a minuscule portion of the world’s Jewish population. Even in the US, only 10% of Jews are Orthodox. Many who self-identify as Orthodox mean that the synagogue they attend, be it once a week or once a year, is Orthodox, even though they themselves are not Sabbath observant and do not keep kosher.

But imamothers know best. Only the Orthodox get Klal Yisrael membership cards.
I did write, a page or so back, that I did not think one magazine for all of klal yisrael would work. This one wouldnt like what that one wrote and that one wouldnt write what this one wanted.
It would NEVER work in a million years.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:19 am
ectomorph wrote:
This website is for frum women.

And yes, someone who is mechalel shabbos in public, like most non observant Jews, is not considered "amecha". The proof is yayin nesech.
Wow, Ive read some disturbing things on this site over the years, and Ive been here a long time, but this is really disgusting. Im sorry but ALL jews are AMECHA.
ALL JEWS!!! It does not matter if he wears a shteimel or no kippa.
It doesnt matter if she keeps shabbat or if she has a x-mas tree in her home.
It doesnt matter if she covers all of her hair or if she wears a bikini on the beach.
ALL JEWS ARE BRETHREN!!!!!

And for someone to say otherwise, that the non religious, non practicing jews are not amecha, I am truly disgusted.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:50 am
Let's not judge ourselves from our enemies

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:52 am
I'm really wary to continue this thread... but I still think there could and should be a paper that is of interest for every yid equally regardless of affiliation. Im not on Vin often but they don't seem to be a particular brand of Jews and yet they don't run out of stuff. I guess, like everything today, the bottom line is everything, ugh. I'm not saying mishpacha is terrible, it's not, probably still my favorite after all. I just expected better and totally overreacted. Maybe hormones, who knows

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 8:42 am
lifesagift wrote:
I'm really wary to continue this thread... but I still think there could and should be a paper that is of interest for every yid equally regardless of affiliation. Im not on [...] often but they don't seem to be a particular brand of Jews and yet they don't run out of stuff. I guess, like everything today, the bottom line is everything, ugh. I'm not saying mishpacha is terrible, it's not, probably still my favorite after all. I just expected better and totally overreacted. Maybe hormones, who knows

Some of the news sites aren't for one brand of Jew but they're distasteful in tenor, and in the comments section.
I don't think we can have a magazine that represents us all, and in the same magazine you will have divergent points of view. (Mishpacha has a never-Trumper writer.) But we can all read anything, and pick what we like from it.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:27 am
I agree pinkfridge that the comments on vin can be distasteful but I don't think that the magazine has the same issue, ppl do post without thinking (like I did with this post hehe, probably wouldn't have gotten to the editor). Otoh I'm not expecting ppl to agree with everything obviously, but a magazine should be unbiased and as inclusive as possible if not, what's the point? If we only read what we want to read how we want to believe it is, is that not akin to reading a communist paper? I for 1 would prefer if the papers were more glasnost. I believe there are many in the community that are genuinely interested in more than their dalet amos.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:38 am
lifesagift wrote:
I agree pinkfridge that the comments on vin can be distasteful but I don't think that the magazine has the same issue, ppl do post without thinking (like I did with this post hehe, probably wouldn't have gotten to the editor). Otoh I'm not expecting ppl to agree with everything obviously, but a magazine should be unbiased and as inclusive as possible if not, what's the point? If we only read what we want to read how we want to believe it is, is that not akin to reading a communist paper? I for 1 would prefer if the papers were more glasnost. I believe there are many in the community that are genuinely interested in more than their dalet amos.

Do you mean that they have to be totally pareve, or have a variety of opinions?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:59 am
Hey OP: In this week's mishpacha there's a story about how a Skverer chossid partnered up with an Amish farmer to bring organic dairy & eggs to his community. There are pictures of amish girls in the article. Not blurred out Smile.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:06 am
I see pics of ppls faces are a big deal here I don't care either way, I accept both. its just not my peeve. I'm more concerned about including a variety of opinions. if I wanted pareve I could read a phonebook. It shouldn't read like a school journal or something

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:18 am
Wait. You want a variety of opinions, you want raw grief, and youre upset that they were focusing on the Satmar community.
I'm so confused!
Bkitzur, bottom line, you don't like this magazine. no problemo. move on. Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:40 am
lifesagift wrote:
I see pics of ppls faces are a big deal here I don't care either way, I accept both. its just not my peeve. I'm more concerned about including a variety of opinions. if I wanted pareve I could read a phonebook. It shouldn't read like a school journal or something
Options on what? Different news stories?
One main reason why you wont find any newspaper that will be for all jews is because many people DO care if there are faces (thats just one reason).

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:42 am
ectomorph wrote:
This website is for frum women.

And yes, someone who is mechalel shabbos in public, like most non observant Jews, is not considered "amecha". The proof is yayin nesech.

Hate to break it to you
Reb Moshe and the Chazon Ish dont agree with you

Ever heard of a tinok shenispa

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:47 am
I realize I was harsh with my posts which I regret now. I was consumed with grief, and not in a healthy way. I hear most people were getting over it by the time the issue was coming out, but I was still in the early stages... being the crazy overreacting sensitive person in the house, my dh n kids are wary of sharing details so I was still trying to process the story when the mag was out and I was hoping to get something spiritual and comforting when I cracked it shabbos. I found it sorely lacking and lashed out with this tirade post. I have since gleaned details on the web which is not my first choice since once I go on I find it hard to climb out... hopefully I can now go on doing better things which I imagine is what the victims would've wanted.

cbsp

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:14 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Hate to break it to you
Reb Moshe and the Chazon Ish dont agree with you

Ever heard of a tinok shenispa

Really?

Reb Moshe and the Chazon Ish allowed a non-shomer Shabbos yid to deal with wine that wasn't mevushal?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room