Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Son is very shy & introverted-no social interaction

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 12:49 pm
Son is preschool age. I get very sad when I observe him. I know he's young but he's still not on par with others his age. Other kids are giggling talking playing. He is a watcher, he's very quiet, he doesn't interact with kids, he's super cautious and scared of everything-like anything new, and also is a bit sensory-doesn't like touching certain things, doesn't like getting dirty... It could be I was like that as a kid, in terms of shyness and loner type, I still work on my shyness today. I just want to save my son and help him so in elementary school and on he won't struggle with social anxiety/shyness like I did, and he'll be well liked and blossom instead of staying in his shell which is what he does now....I want to help him be super confident and proud...Please give me tips. Thanks so much!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 1:04 pm
At this young age you can push things along more so than with an older kid. Can you invite 1 or 2 boys over to play?

oneofakind

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 1:05 pm
Get him OT for his sensory. It might also help his anxiety.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Dec 28 2019, 6:51 pm
Kudos to you for being a good mother. You may want to consider taking him to a social skills group to help. It's good to try and address these issues when children are younger. Having playdates is a good idea, but I'd recommend having only one child over at a time (otherwise he could be the odd man out). Having more than one could be problematic. Doing an activity, like baking -something where you can help things along would be good. For example, have them each take turns putting ingredients into the bowl. As long as you're raising him in a positive environment, modelling good social skills you will help him achieve his potential. Best of luck.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Dec 28 2019, 7:15 pm
Are you sure that he is both shy and introverted? It sounds like he is just shy.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 12:13 am
If he's happy, then leave him alone. If he's anxious in general, he may need help, but it's possible he just wants to observe more than participate. Unfortunately our society values extroverts more than introverts. Don't make it worse by giving him the impression that something is wrong with him. Love him unconditionally and watch him flourish. Not become an extrovert, just be himself. Please value that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics