Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Im living under a rock!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:09 pm
Every once in a while something will happen that will make me realize I am just not a part of this 21st century / tech and social media loving generation!
I have a family, work from home (actually do shmooze with customers) and im overall pretty busy. Dont read the news, dont really know what's flying unless someone fills me in. So of course I knew about the siyum hashas but I DID NOT realize what a big deal it is! My husband and father dont learn the daf so it wasnt even a discussion if I should go. I assumed that it was mostly for families of people completing shas and people who work for the agudah and extended families (cuz they get tickets) and then "hockers" lol because they attend everything. Then I see a thread on imamother about kids being off of school because most of the classes are going. Im scratching my head like huh?! So I asked a neighbor of mine when I saw her outside yesterday- "whats the deal with so many people going to the siyum " and she tells me of course its a huge thing. Tons of people are going for the kiddush hashem and kovod hatorah. I feel like I really just missed the boat. Im 28 years old and I feel like a 90 year old based on how out to lunch I am!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:34 pm
If you read a weekly Jewish magazine you'll be up to date.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
If you read a weekly Jewish magazine you'll be up to date.

I like reading but the Jewish magazines do not appeal to me. But maybe thats what it takes LOL

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:17 pm
You're not really missing out on much..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:25 pm
hodeez wrote:

Someone hugged me. They must think I am! Laugh

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:28 pm
Now that you're aware, put the next one on your calendar Very Happy

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:54 pm
Relax. Not everyone goes. To me it sounds like a huge yawn fest. I have no interest in going or watching a video feed, nor do I personally know anyone else who has. In fact the only placeI have seen anybody expressing interest is right here on imamother.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I like reading but the Jewish magazines do not appeal to me. But maybe thats what it takes LOL

There are freebies like the Flatbush Jewish Journal and the like.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:51 pm
I’m watching the live stream in Yeshiva World and when I watched the dancing part I felt a strong desire for Moshiach to come. It was so special to see such a huge gathering to celebrate the Torah I can only imagine what it would be like when Moshiach comes. I actually teared up.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:13 pm
I attended my first siyum Hashas hookup in 1997, when our whole school got free tickets to one of the local hookups. I had never before felt such a feeling of connection to the Jewish people. I remember when we davened mincha, and hundreds of thousands of people said kadosh, kadosh, together, I was sure Moshiach was coming any second. It was an electrifying feeling.
I don't understand posters here who are minimizing what a big deal this is.
The daf Yomi program by definition was designed to connect klal yisroel, so that people all over the world are on the same page. If a jew travels to another city or country, he can join any shiur and be current. That is the appeal of the siyum. It celebrates the completion of finishing all of shas and that the Torah is the one thing that unifies us all. It includes jews of every type and stripe.
Even if your husband doesn't learn the Daf yomi, it's hard to believe that you don't know many, many people who do. It has become part of the fabric of our society.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:18 pm
hodeez wrote:

Really? I disagree
I think it’s such a beautiful accomplishment

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:30 pm
I was crying as chazzan Helfgot recited the Kel Malei Rachamim with the few holocaust survivors nearby. What a moment.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I’m watching the live stream in Yeshiva World and when I watched the dancing part I felt a strong desire for Moshiach to come. It was so special to see such a huge gathering to celebrate the Torah I can only imagine what it would be like when Moshiach comes. I actually teared up.

I agree.
It’s very beautiful and there is an indescribable sense of unity.
We should grab these opportunities and savour then instead of dissing it.

If one doesn’t appreciate this, don’t knock it & downplay it

Abby2

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:35 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was crying as chazzan Helfgot recited the Kel Malei Rachamim with the few holocaust survivors nearby. What a moment.

Me too! It was so powerful

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:39 pm
Agreed! I’ve been watching the live stream as well and I am so emotional. The sheer amount of Yidden together celebrating Torah is just..... awesome beyond! My kids and I were dancing along after the Siyum was made... and yes listening to chazzan helfgot and watching the holocaust survivors (especially the one with the piercing blue eyes) was a sight I can’t even describe... a generation that saw the almost absolute destruction of Jewry to be at such an awesome event is just absolutely incredible. If you don’t feel connected or inspired that’s your right. But please don’t minimize it

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:47 pm
The highlights for me:
The beautiful stories of the boy who is sick and was mesayeim Brachos today (can anyone post his tehillim name?), the man with ALS who completed Shas, Kaddish, the dancing- it was so beautiful and uplifting in the face of what we have experienced lately, the amount of people there (can you imagine it's not even a 1/20 of the amount of people killed in the Holocaust???), the singing of Ani Maamin and recitation of Keil Molei.
It was so beautiful and I teared up so many times.

b.chadash

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:11 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Same here.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:15 pm
I live OOT, and many, many of our friends flew in to attend the main event, even though there are some local smaller events.
OP, not to make you feel bad, but yes, this is a huge deal. I can't think of another event that can rival this. Every stream of yiddishkeit is represented, from chassidish to MO and everyone in between.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:33 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Relax. Not everyone goes. To me it sounds like a huge yawn fest. I have no interest in going or watching a video feed, nor do I personally know anyone else who has. In fact the only placeI have seen anybody expressing interest is right here on imamother.

Yawn fest???? Really?

To watch 95,000 people celebrate the Torah with another 20,000 in a satellite location, with another million across the world joining in via hookups?

That to you is a yawn fest?

Please enlighten me as to what could possibly be more inspiring Jewish wise other than moshiach?

I'm floored. I can't think of anything that unites Jews more than this.

I will agree that speeches can be tedius but it was a lot more then just that.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 7:57 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Yawn fest???? Really?

To watch 95,000 people celebrate the Torah with another 20,000 in a satellite location, with another million across the world joining in via hookups?

That to you is a yawn fest?

Please enlighten me as to what could possibly be more inspiring Jewish wise other than moshiach?

I'm floored. I can't think of anything that unites Jews more than this.

I will agree that speeches can be tedius but it was a lot more then just that.

So much was powerful.
The siyum moments were so poignant - my kids really got them. Especially the man with ALS.
Davening - when it was silent.
Kaddish.
Kabbalas oil Malachus shamayim
94,000 + 20,000 with one thought and purpose.
Dancing
Remembering the kedoshim - chazan helfgot.

I actually thought they kept the speeches to a minimum and appreciated the English translation of Yiddish and Hebrew.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers