Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Math Word Problems
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:25 pm
Any ideas how to make it fun and exciting for my students? I find it difficult for children and want to teach it in an exciting, hands-on way so they won't hate the concept.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:27 pm
I used to incorporate the kids names into the word problem sheet I handed out. The kids were 15 and loved it lol

jj1236

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:30 pm
I use teacherspayteachers.com literally all the time for fun math manipulatives in my math stations. They have a ton of free stuff.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:42 pm
jj1236 wrote:
I use teacherspayteachers.com literally all the time for fun math manipulatives in my math stations. They have a ton of free stuff.

They have amazing stuff, but did not have much for problem solving except for worksheets. When I give my students worksheets their reaction is " Uch". I use it when I have to, but I don't want their attitude towards problem solving to be negative.

precious

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:49 pm
You can type up word problems on separate cards and each student has a numbered blank answer sheet. The cards can be passed around, hung up around the room, given out to small groups, etc.
You can create word problems that use real objects or manipulatives.
You can have students write up the word problems.
You can give them word problems that they don't have to solve, only select the operation or write the equation.

teachkids

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:08 pm
Have them write and trade them to solve

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:08 pm
Are you ok with them working in small groups with manipulatives and then presenting to the class?
Each group can have a different word problem and they need to explain the solution using manipulative

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:15 pm
I gave them a paper that says
Read the problem
Underline the question
Choose + or -
Solve

They keep it next to the worksheet
For every example the put a paper clip by step one. They do one step at a time and move down the clip as they go along. When they are done they keep that paper clip and put a new one by step one and do another example. They make a paperclip chain from all examples and I reward them for it

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:58 pm
can you write word problems, related to their life?

like, if it's fractions and little kids, thing about how if they have an activity that starts in 15 mintues what fraction of an hour is that?

if it's teens and percents what are the sales? how is bogo cheaper than 50% off?

etc?

I like the idea of having the kids write their own and trade. that would have made math both more interesting to me and more relevent.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:58 pm
Slip little jokes into the word problems, and also nods to the kids' personalities - if Chanie loves unicorns then you can make the word problem about how many unicorns can fit in her bedroom...
Have kids make up the problems but make it sound like that's a huge exciting privilege.
If the kids are young (through 4th grade or so) you can have some fun cues like a special thinking cap to put on, or a jingle about being a math detective, or something.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:01 pm
also this thread reminded me of this post

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:11 pm
singleagain wrote:

LOL
You made my day! Night. Whatever.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:15 pm
singleagain wrote:

Love this. I'm going to show it to my math class tomorrow.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:27 am
And $32 of it will go down the drain when he notices there is no more fizz left in a year....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:28 am
Thanks everyone for your ideas!

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They have amazing stuff, but did not have much for problem solving except for worksheets. When I give my students worksheets their reaction is " Uch". I use it when I have to, but I don't want their attitude towards problem solving to be negative.

Search again, they have more stuff than just worksheets. I just searched for 6th grade, math problems, free (used the left side search options) and came up with:
- The MATHazing Race Freebie: Multi-step Word Problems by Teachers R Us Homeschool
- Integer Math Puzzle Match by Dino Math Ninja
- The Birthday Party Word Problem Set by Parrott's Place
- Foreign Currency Conversion Project FREEBIE - Upper Elementary by Terry's Teaching Tidbits
- Word Problem Detective by Rachel Lynette
- *Free* Titanic Math by Teaching with a Mountain View - if the kids know about Titanic

you also might want to search for material under $5. If you find something good, it might be worth paying a few dollars.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:08 am
I'm the parent of a academically struggling child.

Please don't have kids make up problems and trade them.

There. Did you hear me?

My daughter's teacher does this and has the students grade each other. It is a horrible and demeaning experience for kids who often get things wrong. Even if you are a math teacher, you teach other things as well. And one of them is your sensitivity or lack thereof to others.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:46 pm
Also check Pinterest!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:19 pm
chestnut wrote:
Search again, they have more stuff than just worksheets. I just searched for 6th grade, math problems, free (used the left side search options) and came up with:
- The MATHazing Race Freebie: Multi-step Word Problems by Teachers R Us Homeschool
- Integer Math Puzzle Match by Dino Math Ninja
- The Birthday Party Word Problem Set by Parrott's Place
- Foreign Currency Conversion Project FREEBIE - Upper Elementary by Terry's Teaching Tidbits
- Word Problem Detective by Rachel Lynette
- *Free* Titanic Math by Teaching with a Mountain View - if the kids know about Titanic

you also might want to search for material under $5. If you find something good, it might be worth paying a few dollars.

Amazing! Thanks so much!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:23 pm
TpT also has amazing Escape Rooms for every topic. What topic are you on?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics