Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Websites for Kids

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 1:54 pm
Practical question: What websites are out there for kids (mine is almost 5) to go on to play games, learn basic skills, hear stories etc. that are also slightly educational? I know of pbskids and disney.com. Any others?

Hashkafic question: How do you as frum mothers feel about your kids spending time on these sites?

cindy324

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 2:03 pm
Noggin.com is also a very good site. NickJR.com has some cute games, too.

Momof2kiddies

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 2:06 pm
starfall.com and pbskids.org

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 2:20 pm
www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 2:54 pm
fisherprice.com has a bunch of educational games for younger kids. Crayola also has a fun website.

chabad.org has some good kids stuff as well - especially for yomim tovim.

We used to let our kids go on these sorts of sites. Now they (well osme of them) are older, we don't let them - but we let them play games on cds or already on the computer, just not on the internet. (my 6 year old is becoming a real chess whiz!) Once they started to find websites on their own, we stopped them.

Just keep a good eye on what they are doing.

lst

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 4:00 pm
another fan of starfall.com, its great

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 4:03 pm
Besides for chabad.org, does anyone know of other jewish websites for kids?

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 4:05 pm
Also, are people not bringing up hashkafic problems with these websites because no one has any, or are the women with hashkafic problems not posting on this thread?

ffbmom

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 6:57 am
Mickey Mouse's clubhouse is OK. Also, I think there's a website for kids by Aish.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 1:52 pm
Sparkle wrote:
Practical question: What websites are out there for kids (mine is almost 5) to go on to play games, learn basic skills, hear stories etc. that are also slightly educational? I know of pbskids and disney.com. Any others?

Hashkafic question: How do you as frum mothers feel about your kids spending time on these sites?

I don't let my kids play on the computer. Period.

gamekeeper

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 3:20 am
chossidmom, I appreciate that you dont let your kids on the comp period... I have been holding of the same thing myself.... but right now (as of yeterday) I am wondering if this is not being extreme...

my dd is experiencing some difficulties at school, my mom bought her a jump start cd that I was doing with her. I wouldnt let her on the comp for long periods of time bec I know that that would defeat the purpose... but I am really impressed with the programme and I can see where it would help her develope those specific skills she is struggling with...

sooooooooo my question is... is there room for computer work for children-WITHOUT THE NET!!!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 6:16 am
Gamekeeper,
You have to ponder on that one. I used to let my kids play math games on the computer. They loved it and were constantly begging to play and it got to be a bit much. Also, it was good for the multiplication table but that's about it. Alot of the skills they need are on paper skills, if you know what I mean.
Also with reading. Kids have to learn how to read from a book. It's alot less fun and interesting to read from a paper than from the screen.

I don't let them on the computer at all anymore and I'm much happier about it. But everyone has to make their cheshbonot.

Best of luck to you with yours!

grin

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 7:44 am
I see it also as very harmful at least until school-age - the longer you can keep them away the better, since it denies them hands-on feelie skills (Otherwise known as motor-coordination) as well as limiting their own imagination and ability to occupy themselves without it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers