Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
When do u start thinking about dinner ?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 4:57 pm
When do u start your dinner preps and start to think whats for dinner?? When is dinner usually done?? Dont make me jealous please, but in the other hand I would love to know!

israelmama

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:02 pm
Depends on the day/week. Some weeks I’m organized and have a menu, other days I decide dinner 30 minutes before!

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:04 pm
If you want to have all ing in your home when you decide to make dinner, you should think about dinner when you shop for the week or better yet draw up a menu for the week even before you start shopping

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:05 pm
When I wake up, is when I check my inventory and decide what supper will be. If it’s a crockpot dinner, I put it up in the morning. If it’s a quick cooking dinner I’ll start preparing and cooking around 3:00. Prep takes between 10 and 30 minutes depending on what it is. Dinner is always ready latest by 5:00

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:07 pm
I cook Sunday night for Mon, Tues and Wed dinner. Its the only way I survive. When I walk in the door I put the food to warm up. Dinner is ideally around 6-6:30.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:10 pm
We plan a monthly menu. I generally start cooking when they get home, around 5:00. This way it can be fresh warm, not rewarded.

pizza4

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:20 pm
I made a monthly menu, but don't follow it exactly. I decide in the beginning of the week or end of the last, (not so organized with grocery shopping always) what that weeks suppers will be. Kids supper needs to be ready by 5ish. If it's a quick heating up kind of supper I start at 4, once a week I'll do a crockpot supper which means taking the chicken out of the freezer night before preferably...
It's hard to stick to menu but makes things much easier and calmer.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:22 pm
It depends on the day. Sometimes we decide as a family what we are in the mood for and make it right then (nothing that takes more than 30 - 40 minutes tops)
We eat at 7 pm so there is time after people are home from work / school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:22 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When I wake up, is when I check my inventory and decide what supper will be. If it’s a crockpot dinner, I put it up in the morning. If it’s a quick cooking dinner I’ll start preparing and cooking around 3:00. Prep takes between 10 and 30 minutes depending on what it is. Dinner is always ready latest by 5:00

I like this: dinner always ready by 5 . That is what I need to work on. Lately by me 5 is when I start to cook. Its very out of hand . Dinner starts anywhere around 7 then night runs late. I wish I can start being this mom again to have 5 dinner ready to serve. So far isnt happening,(

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do u start your dinner preps and start to think whats for dinner?? When is dinner usually done?? Dont make me jealous please, but in the other hand I would love to know!

I menu plan and prepare my shopping list on Monday for the week before. Unpack groceries and season all meat and chicken before freezing on Tuesday nights.

The next week, I remove the raw seasoned food either the night before or the morning of. Set the oven or crockpot before I leave the house in the morning. Ready when we walk in most days.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:27 pm
I plan my menu Motzaei Shabbos, go shopping on Sunday. If I'm careful, I can have dinner ready by 5. Not tonight Can't Believe It

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:28 pm
I make a menu on Saturday night, shop on Sunday, and prep the night before if necessary so I can pop the main dish in the oven.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 5:32 pm
Also, I dont menu plan. After I had my baby last spring I signed up to get menu plans/recipes/shopping list from Prep and Rally. It took a huge stress off my shoulders.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:53 pm
Like a few others said, if I'm organized I have my menu and shopping done on Thursday for the next week. Otherwise I decide what I want to make before I leave work and I stop into the grocery/meat/fish store for ingredients. I usually start prepping as soon as my kids are settled and I've changed into comfortable clothes.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 6:57 pm
I plan motzei shabbos and go grocery shopping on Sunday. Most of my dinners involve minimal prep for a good reason. It's generally something I can throw in the oven when we walk in the door or cook in under 5 minutes when the littlest is asleep and everyone else is chilling.

asweet

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:10 pm
I keep suppers very simple as that's what the kids will eat
Pretty much the same menu every week with small variations therfore I always have the ingredients in the house and I decide the night before so I can defrost chicken the night before and cook first thing in the morning and finish up before supper time 5 o'clock as that's where everyone comes home starving.

Chicken cutlets or baked or cooked chicken or grilled if a busy day
Sides potatoes rice or noodles
Soups squash, vegetable split pea or potatoes
Fresh or frozen veggies
Dairy pasta or pizza once a week

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 7:48 pm
Motzie shabbos or Sunday. Monday the latest- My menu for the week is planned. The planning is easy because every day is a basic category. For example:
Sunday leftovers
Monday chicken
Tuesday fish
wednesday meat or chop meat
Thursday dairy

Shopping for missing ingredients Tuesday

Meal prep in the morning

Cook dinner 1/2 hour before we need it!

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I plan my menu Motzaei Shabbos, go shopping on Sunday. If I'm careful, I can have dinner ready by 5. Not tonight Can't Believe It

Same same same!

But I really only plan for suppers for mon tues and wed.
Sun night is shabbos leftovers, Thursday night im cooking for Shabbos so thats make your own supper night. Usually some form of sandwich maker/eggs/hot cereal...

SisterSix

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 9:45 pm
LOL sorry but this thread title reminded me of the “clickbait” thread

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 11:08 pm
SisterSix wrote:
LOL sorry but this thread title reminded me of the “clickbait” thread

Exactly....first time I read title thread....you know where my head jumped to, right away!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics