Home

What % of your Amazon, etc. purchases are worthwhile?
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:30 am
I'm using Amazon as an example, but it could be Costco, Amazing Savings, or any similar vendor.

I haven't gone back and looked through my purchases, but I'd guesstimate that it's about 60%. I'm not even counting the things I've returned, just the items I've kept.

The bulk of the 40% are items that I didn't need or weren't helpful. Examples: a visor to cover my toddler's head when bathing (totally didn't work), a washing cup that was supposed to help with the same thing (total bust), a stainless steel water bottle when I decided to do my ecological good deed of the day (used it once), a thermos to take soups and other hot food to work (never toiveled), etc.

Then there are the things I forgot to return so they were a total waste.

How about you? Any strategies to prevent the buildup of such items?

Mama Bear

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:34 am
my amazon purchases are always things I need.
I try not to impulse shop at local stores. but online shopping is usually things I cant get in local stores that I need.

groisamomma

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:35 am
I only order something online if it's something I'd physically need to go to a store to buy. In other words, necessities only. Therefore, I'd venture to say 99.9% of the stuff I buy online are successful. I mean, how can garbage bags and detergent go wrong?

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:37 am
Mama Bear wrote:
my amazon purchases are always things I need.
I try not to impulse shop at local stores. but online shopping is usually things I cant get in local stores that I need.

It's not really impulse shopping, exactly. Many of these things are thought out but just don't end up as planned. For example, I really do need a solution to bathe my toddler.

Also, I shop on Amazon because I don't have time to run out to stores.

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:38 am
groisamomma wrote:
I only order something online if it's something I'd physically need to go to a store to buy. In other words, necessities only. Therefore, I'd venture to say 99.9% of the stuff I buy online are successful. I mean, how can garbage bags and detergent go wrong?

I once bought some spray to take out wrinkles (on Imamother recommendation). They're still sitting in the box Sad that's something I very well could've bought in-store.

Madam F.

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:59 am
Very often I add things to my shopping cart and leave it there for a while and then my urge to buy passes. If its really important ill order it or just end up buying locally. Even so I use amazon a lot. And I always make sure to send back the returns it often sits around a few weeks but I keep in a place where it annoys me so that I shouldnt forget about it. Why shouldnt I get a refund? All these little things add up fast.

groisamomma

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:04 am
imanonymous wrote:
I once bought some spray to take out wrinkles (on Imamother recommendation). They're still sitting in the box Sad that's something I very well could've bought in-store.

Takes out wrinkles from clothing or face? If the latter I would have told you not to waste your money! If from clothes then push yourself to try it once. If it was recommended here then it's probably useful!

DrMom

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:29 am
I only buy things on Amazon that I cannot get locally, or that are significantly more expensive locally... and for which I have a definite use case.

I don't buy much there.

banana123

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 4:00 am
I only buy on Amazon what I cannot get locally, and only after a lot of research and weighing the various options and products. So about 99% of what I've bought on Amazon is useful to me.
I did buy one thing that is useful but I need to borrow an appliance to use it and haven't done that yet.

ra_mom

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:09 am
I really enjoy my purchases. Sometimes the items I want are too easily available, and maybe I don't need a replacement for the kitchen item that is worn out but usable, maybe I don't need that extra belt for my wardrobe. But I always enjoy the items I buy.

There are times I buy something I want to try to fill a need, and it doesn't work out. Like a special product for acne or a specifically formulated spray for paint stains. But even if it doesn't work out, I had to try, given my need for a solution to an issue and the great reviews the product had. I would have purchased those items at a store to try too, if they had been available.

lkwdlady

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:19 am
I feel like we order something from amazon a few times a week. It’s not only me but I notice my neighbors getting frequent deliveries too.
The only reason I order from amazon is for the convenience of returns. While I do return things often I think I keep most.

Zehava

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:26 am
I do have the occasional thing that is a bust. But over the years I learned what pays and what doesn’t. I barely buy deals anymore unless it’s something I know I’ll use AND it’s a company I know. So by now I’d say 90-95% of what I order I know I’ll use.

flmommy

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:29 am
Close to 100%. If it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to Insend it back.

Shuly

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:31 am
Now that Amazon is free shipping to Israel, I put what I need in my cart and place the order when I have enough things that equal the $49 minimum for free shipping.
There are also free returns so the 2 things that I ordered that didn't fit, I sent back right away.

Tzutzie

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:56 am
99%
Of it doesnt work I send it back

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:58 am
groisamomma wrote:
Takes out wrinkles from clothing or face? If the latter I would have told you not to waste your money! If from clothes then push yourself to try it once. If it was recommended here then it's probably useful!

Clothing. LOL

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:59 am
Tzutzie wrote:
99%
Of it doesnt work I send it back

Sometimes I don't use the item right away, and by the time I realize it doesn't work, it's too late to send it back.

imanonymous

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 9:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
I really enjoy my purchases. Sometimes the items I want are too easily available, and maybe I don't need a replacement for the kitchen item that is worn out but usable, maybe I don't need that extra belt for my wardrobe. But I always enjoy the items I buy.

There are times I buy something I want to try to fill a need, and it doesn't work out. Like a special product for acne or a specifically formulated spray for paint stains. But even if it doesn't work out, I had to try, given my need for a solution to an issue and the great reviews the product had. I would have purchased those items at a store to try too, if they had been available.

I think that's what I'm talking about, ra_mom. I may order an extra accessory or whatever, and that I'll usually either enjoy or return. I'm referring to items that are supposed to help with a specific issue and don't work out despite great reviews.

Chayalle

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 9:31 am
Like everyone else, most of my amazon purchases are things like tissues, flossers, toothpaste, detergent, etc....basics in the brands that my household already uses/likes.

The things I've returned are more like clothing items. For example, I ordered sweatshirts for my girls (that I plan on turning into Purim costumes with the use of iron-ons) and the sizes were totally off - they were enormous - so they are going back.

ra_mom

Post  Fri, Jan 17 2020, 10:46 am
Zehava wrote:
I do have the occasional thing that is a bust. But over the years I learned what pays and what doesn’t. I barely buy deals anymore unless it’s something I know I’ll use AND it’s a company I know. So by now I’d say 90-95% of what I order I know I’ll use.

Same. I buy when I need not based on sales.
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains