Home

Moving to Philadelphia -- University of Pennsylvania

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 5:42 pm
Hello,

DH and I may be relocating to Philadelphia for him to attend law school at UPenn. We are in our early 20s (just graduated college in May), don't have children yet, and are RWMO.

Do you know anything about the frum student community at UPenn, or where young frum student families might live?

Would it make sense for us to live outside of the University neighborhoods, more towards Northeast Philadelphia/Lower Merion, etc.? If so, do you know of neighborhoods where there are young families, especially in graduate school?

Thanks so much

amother

Cerise

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:24 pm
You will be in good company. Why not contact the OU-JLIC couple at Penn to see where the current married grads are living? My own kids are now done with Penn and living in Bala Cynwyd (Lower Merion) and I know there are some Penn grad students living there too.

amother

OP

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
You will be in good company. Why not contact the OU-JLIC couple at Penn to see where the current married grads are living? My own kids are now done with Penn and living in Bala Cynwyd (Lower Merion) and I know there are some Penn grad students living there too.

That’s a great idea!! Thank you so much and thank you for the info about Bala Cynwyd

icedcoffee

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:36 pm
I went to Penn for grad school. There's a very nice active student community. I know a few couples who lived in Center City and went to Mekor Habracha, but there are definitely more options than that. I would probably reach out to Hillel, Chabad, and even Meor. All have solid presences and it'd be good to introduce yourselves!

amother

OP

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:48 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I went to Penn for grad school. There's a very nice active student community. I know a few couples who lived in Center City and went to Mekor Habracha, but there are definitely more options than that. I would probably reach out to Hillel, Chabad, and even Meor. All have solid presences and it'd be good to introduce yourselves!

Great to know—thank you!

wordsmith

Post  Wed, Feb 05 2020, 6:57 pm
Also, just FYI, Chabad in Center City is in the midst of building a mikvah. (I think it's on Lombard maybe, around 4th or 6th ... it's been a long time since I was lived there. I'm sure you can google it.)
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating