Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Mid Winter vacation soooo expensive!!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:04 am
And I'm not referring to an actual trip/vacation to some warm place to relax. I'm referring to the extra money I needed to shell out to pay for the time my kids were off so that I can go to work.

Winter vacation is totally unnecessary, and if there is a need, at least all schools should give off at the same time!!!!!!

Venting here

Chaya123

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:32 am
agree 100%! However, nothing we can do about it as it won't change. Also, the older girls really do need the break.

small bean

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:37 am
What about older boys?

It is expensive but if you don't look at school as childcare then it is just part of having kids. They are expensive. Many of us choose to have them anyway.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:52 am
I'm not sure where you live but here in Lakewood mid-winter vacation is a grand total of 3 days(including a friday!)!!
I think it's great for kids to get a break even the little ones. Not having to rush out of the house, no h.w...
Maybe not playgroup age kids, but for that age, the moros need a break!
In most places mid winter vacation is at least a week!
You're entitled to your vent, it is hard when you're working to figure out babysitting arrangements for everyone but get used to it! It won't change anytime soon.
Personally, I'm tired of hearing ppl complaining about it! We have kids we have to take care of them, that's life!!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:56 am
I don’t mind my kids having off a snow day. We stay home we do baking or organizing or relaxing. But midwinter my kids expect to do stuff and go places like all there peers and it all adds up to lots of money no matter which way you turn. I agree abolish midwinter. The high school girls have plenty off half days by midterms and for this or for that. I don’t find it necessary at all.’

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I'm not sure where you live but here in Lakewood mid-winter vacation is a grand total of 3 days(including a friday!)!!
I think it's great for kids to get a break even the little ones. Not having to rush out of the house, no h.w...
You're entitled to your vent, it is hard when you're working to figure out babysitting arrangements for everyone but get used to it! It won't change anytime soon.
Personally, I'm tired of hearing ppl complaining about it! We have kids we have to take care of them, that's life!!

Good for you that it's only over a weekend. Two of my children had three full days off and another one had a full week off. And both these vacations didn't overlap at all.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

For sure! But its long. My school had off thurs, Friday and then a whole week. So when the kids got home on Wednesday afternoon, they weren't going back to school for a week and a half... until the following Monday morning. I understand because we live far out of town and people want to travel and visit relatives and they need time to do that, But since most people just end up going to Florida. Anyway, I really don't understand why we need such a long break.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I don’t mind my kids having off a snow day. We stay home we do baking or organizing or relaxing. But midwinter my kids expect to do stuff and go places like all there peers and it all adds up to lots of money no matter which way you turn. I agree abolish midwinter. The high school girls have plenty off half days by midterms and for this or for that. I don’t find it necessary at all.’

Are you serious a high school girl gets half a day off from midterms to study and they stay up until late hours studying doesn’t need vacation.

You are a real work horse. I hope you change your mind once you have high school
Kids.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Are you serious a high school girl gets half a day off from midterms to study and they stay up until late hours studying doesn’t need vacation.

You are a real work horse. I hope you change your mind once you have high school
Kids.

I’m seriously my girls take the midterm for 2 hours come home go out with there friends for lunch or ice cream! They study 3 hours and then shmooze with friends rest of the time! So yes it’s a break for them!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I’m seriously my girls take the midterm for 2 hours come home go out with there friends for lunch or ice cream! They study 3 hours and then shmooze with friends rest of the time! So yes it’s a break for them!

I don’t know what school your girls are in and I don’t know if they are 100 students.

But if your daughter is in a hard high school and cares about her marks then midterms is not a break at all.

Of course girls that fail
Through high school has fun by midterms but a girl who is serious about school she needs a vacation.

You are right that a girl who fails through high school doesn’t need a vacation she probably has a vacation all year she probably never shows up to class.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:08 pm
You don’t need to pay for babysitting when your high schooler is on vacation.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
For sure! But its long. My school had off thurs, Friday and then a whole week. So when the kids got home on Wednesday afternoon, they weren't going back to school for a week and a half... until the following Monday morning. I understand because we live far out of town and people want to travel and visit relatives and they need time to do that, But since most people just end up going to Florida. Anyway, I really don't understand why we need such a long break.

I totally hear you, that's one very long vacation!!
I was only referring to ppl that kvetch nonstop about our 3 days of vacations!!
It's true my high school girls get days off here and there for the day before/after the play, mid-terms and others but I don't feel the need to entertain them!
They catch up on their sleep. My daughter organized a paint party at home with a bunch of friends, I bought supplies and asked everyone to bring in $5, they had a great time!!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:13 pm
tigerwife wrote:

There are some communities where it is expected that girls will fly to warmer cities for vacations
Was talking to a high schooler recently from ny and she told me 4 girls in her school didn’t go on a vacation by plane

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 12:34 pm
tigerwife wrote:

So it's a high-school girl's job to spend her vacation day babysitting her younger siblings?

Personally, I think they will have enough years ahead of them juggling parenting, working, days off, etc...in the future. Taking care of my kids on vacation days is and always has been my job.

When my kids were younger, I used to switch off with a friend whose DD was friends with my DD. She went into work one day and I her kids over, and we did various age-appropriate activities - sort of like a Mommy camp - and the next day I worked and it was her turn.

As they got older, sometimes they had plans with friends, and sometimes I take off to spend time with them.

I do admit it's easier in Lakewood where there aren't as many days off. Don't know what I'd do if it was a full week plus.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 1:04 pm
I am just responding to why vacation is necessary. My husband is self employed and we just take a loss during vacation times so its a little different. My 9 year old son goes to school six days a week. I think he is entitled to a break. He had 5 week days off and it was just enough. I think he was refreshed but not climbing the walls.

I used to be more meek when it came to telling my boss I was using my personal days for vacation when my kids are off. I realized this past year that I have worth and even if he goes away for break the office wont burn down if I take my kids away for 2 days. I am entitled to a life too. It was soooo freeing.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:19 pm
I live OOT and the kids have a four day Chanukah break, a ten day yeshiva week, a four day President day weekend, two professional days, every legal holiday off, and a 13 week summer. It's completely out of control and I get really upset when I think about it , so I made the decision not to think about it.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:32 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
There are some communities where it is expected that girls will fly to warmer cities for vacations
Was talking to a high schooler recently from ny and she told me 4 girls in her school didn’t go on a vacation by plane

BH I don’t live in such a community, although I do live in NY. This “it’s expected” attitude is exactly what is wrong, not the winter vacation. Kids “expect” to do things. It’s “expected” that girls will go to a warmer climate. How about if it’s expected that the kids, no matter what age, just appreciate that they get a break and their parents have to work, and they will do the best they can?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 7:37 pm
Chayalle wrote:
So it's a high-school girl's job to spend her vacation day babysitting her younger siblings?

Personally, I think they will have enough years ahead of them juggling parenting, working, days off, etc...in the future. Taking care of my kids on vacation days is and always has been my job.

When my kids were younger, I used to switch off with a friend whose DD was friends with my DD. She went into work one day and I her kids over, and we did various age-appropriate activities - sort of like a Mommy camp - and the next day I worked and it was her turn.

As they got older, sometimes they had plans with friends, and sometimes I take off to spend time with them.

I do admit it's easier in Lakewood where there aren't as many days off. Don't know what I'd do if it was a full week plus.

I think the person that posted it meant that this thread is not referring to highschool kids because they don't need to be sent to a babysitter Wink

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:09 pm
small bean wrote:
What about older boys?

It is expensive but if you don't look at school as childcare then it is just part of having kids. They are expensive. Many of us choose to have them anyway.

I get so tired of this refrain. School is not childcare, we all agree on that. BUT school is the set establishment where kids spend their days. Our lives, as is most of the world too, is structured around this system. So constantly interrupting the flow of it, creates unnecessary hardships. Unless you're a SAHM, which so many of us don't have the pleasure of being.

If the school would take things in consideration, and shows some restraints in scheduling off-days, then perhaps it wouldn't be so unsettling. But our schools generally takes advantage of both the secular system and the Jewish Calendar, all for themselves. There's RH, YK, Sukkos, chanukah vacation, 3 days for Purim, 2-3 weeks for Pesach, Shavuos, and Lag B'omer (new trend). Now add in mid-winter vacation and president's week & selective Holiday Days. Now, that's not enough. Let's throw in every Erev YT, and Isru Chag too, and how about a Teacher's workshop day too? Oh, lets not forget about Asara B'Teves.

The schools are very well aware of how many parents are struggling financially, and they're also very well aware that the climate has changed. Majority of the mothers are working nowadays. Why can't they moderate the days off, in a way that gives the mothers some breathing room? Especially since they're the ones encouraging the girls to be the breadwinners and/or are very familiar with the high cost of a Jewish life.

Or at the very least - at least coordinate the mid-winter vacation with other schools in town.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 8:18 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Well, I don't have to pay as much but I still need to pay. Usually when my high schooler babysits for me, she's turned down a different job in order to stay home. Because other people need the same time. So we pay her a much smaller rate, but we to give her something.

Also, sometimes when you have older siblings caring for younger siblings for a long time like when someone is out at work, it's not always a recipe for happiness after hours and hours. I can come home to a very hard afternoon and evening.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics