Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Going crazy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

happinessseeker

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:34 am
It might take a week or so of some very exhausting evenings with him excited about his newfound freedom but eventually he’ll get used to it, realize his bed is for sleeping like the crib and he’ll stop coming out. Be prepared for the transition stage but it’s so worth it! It’s so much better than fighting with them to sleep in the crib. We transferred my daughter at 18 months and she’s now so happy to sleep in her bed (and doesn’t come out).

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
[/b]
Because it will stop the power struggle. He won't feel locked in and you will come to terms with this new stage. Smile

This

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:53 am
As per advice of the wonderful imas on this website, this is what I did:
My almost 3yo discovered how to escape his crib the day before my baby's bris. So there was literally nothing holding him back from walking all over the house at 3 a.m.
Step #1- put him in a toddler bed or a bed with a bar. You dont want him hurting himself climbing out of the crib.
Step #2- put up a baby gate by the stairs so he can't walk down.
Step #3- put a crib mattress in the corner of your bedroom with a pillow and small blanket so that he doesn't wake you up if/when he comes into your room in middle of the night.
Step #4- bribe him with ice cream to stay in his big boy bed the whole night

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:46 am
If you want your kid to stay in his crib, I have two words for you - duct tape. Wink

But seriously, I agree with Trixx. If you want to see the method in action, just go to YouTube and see Nanny Jo put kids in their beds. It really does work.

DD wouldn't always stay in her bed, but I told her she needed to stay in her room, and she could play with toys as long as she was quiet. I'd find her sleeping in the oddest places and positions! LOL As long as there was no power struggle, I didn't care where she slept in her room.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I still haven't found a solution to that so as of now my 2 y.o sleeps in my room with door locked.

Why not leave the door open but with a baby gate?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:49 am
agreer wrote:
I put my baby's mattress on the floor. Like totally on the floor. Unhooked it from the crib frame, but the wire part down on the floor and the mattress on top of it. My sister did the same and it worked for her baby too.

Didn’t work for my 2 year old monkey!

SuperWify

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:52 am
Thanks all. I prefer to go straight to a bed. I’d a bed with a safety rail the same as a toddler bed?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:02 am
SuperWify wrote:
Thanks all. I prefer to go straight to a bed. I’d a bed with a safety rail the same as a toddler bed?

I never used a toddler bed. When my 2 year olds climbed out, they got regular beds.

Search “foam bed bumpers” on amazon - this is what I used for all my little kids. It goes under the sheet and really keeps them from falling off, and it’s very soft and comfortable.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:05 am
Some toddlers feel a bit lost and insecure in a full size bed. In that case it takes them longer to adapt. Others aren't bothered.

Practically speaking though, a full size bed with a bar works exactly the same way as a toddler bed. The theory is that that they lie on the mattress and go to sleep. The practice my diverge somewhat from the theory, in either bed!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:16 am
If you have a kid who roams the house at night, put them to sleep in a Pack n' Play. Even a 5 year old can't climb out of one of those.

I still think it's better to sleep train your child to stay in bed, but if it's a matter of your child's safety, a Pack n' Play is your best option.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I never used a toddler bed. When my 2 year olds climbed out, they got regular beds.

Search “foam bed bumpers” on amazon - this is what I used for all my little kids. It goes under the sheet and really keeps them from falling off, and it’s very soft and comfortable.

Thank you! Will do.

keym

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:38 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you have a kid who roams the house at night, put them to sleep in a Pack n' Play. Even a 5 year old can't climb out of one of those.

I still think it's better to sleep train your child to stay in bed, but if it's a matter of your child's safety, a Pack n' Play is your best option.

All my kids climbed out of Pack n' Plays by 2.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

Our crib was converted to a toddler bed. We wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

We used a foam bumper for a few years and it worked out well. A pain when changing linen but did its job.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:58 am
keym wrote:
All my kids climbed out of Pack n' Plays by 2.

Surprised Your kids must have really long legs, and super upper body strength!

Was there anything in there that they could stand on to get a boost, or did they just go up and over?

DD was a stubborn, really determined kid, and she never did figure out how to get out of one.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:07 am
we put a stair gate on by her door. Yes she has worked out how to climb over it but most of the time she doesn't try. I like to know at least she is somewhat safe and won't be wandering the house at 5 in the morning when she wakes up. She usually just sits by the gate and plays-she can see out so she doesn't feel trapped.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

My kids all climbed out of the pac n' play at 2. but they find their way up onto the freezer and stack-able washing machine too. Very Happy

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

All my kids climbed out before the age of 2.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:22 pm
My son just figured out how to climb out of his pack 'n play and he's just under 16 months.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My son just figured out how to climb out of his pack 'n play and he's just under 16 months.

Surprised Don't scare me. I dread the day my now 17 month old figures this out.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:36 pm
Rappel wrote:
He stayed in a crib until he was 2.5? You lucky devil! Time to teach a new bedtime routine though. You'll just have to calmly and firmly return him to his bed each time he gets out of it. Each night, you'll need to do it less.

He’s actually 3 next month. Yes, I counted my blessings until last night...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics