Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Bklyn: quarantine concerns in apt

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:50 am
I have a 3y and a crawling baby. Do you think quarantine will come here? I'm not worried about food but about how to possibly not make us all go crazy indoors the whole day. Shabbos is bad enough (no eruv). What does quarantine look like in places where it is?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 8:57 am
watch news 12 westchester
young isreal of new rochelle has 1000 people self quarantined in their homes the shul has 380 members the rabbifink has it and his wife
the people in the area have stopped getting the mail
when people come to the door ti drop thing off they wear a mask
the national guard came to help
cnn.com
people knock on doors to check to see if people in madatory quarantine y 70 cases have it
sar high school has 30 cases

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
watch news 12 westchester
young isreal of new rochelle has 1000 people self quarantined in their homes the shul has 380 members the rabbifink has it and his wife
the people in the area have stopped getting the mail
when people come to the door ti drop thing off they wear a mask
the national guard came to help
cnn.com
people knock on doors to check to see if people in madatory quarantine y 70 cases have it
sar high school has 30 cases

This doesn't answer the q at all bc ppl there live in houses. And it's suburbia. Can't even compare the view out the window.
If you have further details as to how daily living works, not just numbers, please share, otherwise pls don't spam my thread too.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 9:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This doesn't answer the q at all bc ppl there live in houses. And it's suburbia. Can't even compare the view out the window.
If you have further details as to how daily living works, not just numbers, please share, otherwise pls don't spam my thread too.

There is something in the news today about how people in tiny apartments are supposed to cope with quarantine. I have limited access to Internet here but I think that it's a NYT article.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:08 am
I also hate to say this but someone is going to make money off of quarantine survival kits where someone delivers a daily supply of exciting goodies according to the interests of the recipient.
Maybe organizations will do that.

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:36 am
I spend every winter in quarantine bc my kids get sick so fast. Books, toys, video, doing chores together...

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a 3y and a crawling baby. Do you think quarantine will come here? I'm not worried about food but about how to possibly not make us all go crazy indoors the whole day. Shabbos is bad enough (no eruv). What does quarantine look like in places where it is?

In Riverdale, there are plenty of kids quarantined in apartments. They're ... surviving.

As the parents aren't quarantined, and can get packages, I've sent things like puzzles. I'd lay in a supply. Also, even if you don't usually do TV, consider a tablet. If for nothing else but facetiming friends and remote learning for the toddler.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:44 am
Also, there are reports from people in quarantine in EY, where there's even less space.

Let's brainstorm a list of to-do activities for each age/gender, and I'll pin it.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:54 am
Videos, arts and crafts, books, new toys, bubble baths, games by window (find something orange, count 10 people walking past wearing a hat..,)
My mother in law who is a war survivor said that when they were locked up in a room with their mother it was not traumatic for the kids at all because as long as kids are with their mother they are ok. She thinks it was a lot harder for her mother who didn’t have food for the kids, was worried about them the whole time, caring for them when they were sick etc.
Your kids will be fine. It will be a boring 2 weeks but it will pass and they’ll barely remember. Let’s talk about how you will handle it.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:56 am
imasinger wrote:
Also, there are reports from people in quarantine in EY, where there's even less space.

Let's brainstorm a list of to-do activities for each age/gender, and I'll pin it.

I’ve seen pictures of quarantined Israelis out on their porches. True their living space is much less but they usually have access to closed off outdoor space.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:04 am
I think it will help if you incorporate movement activities. Some ideas off the top of my head, for different ages:

Treasure hunt around apartment
Turn on music and dance!
Simple Simon says
I would maybe dedicate one bed ( like a hi riser on the low setting) or couch cushions on the floor to allow jumping, for these weeks only.
Gymnastics shows/competitions! (Each kid takes a turn making a show, or each kid makes a move and everyone copies)
Freeze dance
Each kid gets to lead an "exercise class" for the family
Animal walks races (army crawl, walking on hands and feet, in a bride postiton... )
Hard work chores, like vacuuming, washing walls/cabinets/mirrors/windows
Water fight/spray bottles in bathroom

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:05 am
Books, puzzles, crafts, goo and ooblek, cooking, online learning for older kids / story time for younger kids, home school style learning, treasure hunts. Don't forget to exercise.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:08 am
For your age kids OP--bubbles!

Shabbosiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:14 am
You can also set up obstacle courses using pillows, furniture, under tables or chairs...
Spinning contests
Tickling with lots of belly laughs!

momofone613

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:03 pm
Set up a routine! It makes it easier for u and kids, you know what to expect. A set time for meals, snacks, play time.... Activities are pretty easy for that age. Arts and crafts/coloring books, bubbles, puzzles, reading books,etc....

Give a long bubble bath every night in between dinner and bed, so fun for them, and relaxing for all 😁

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:13 pm
imasinger wrote:

I know this was not your point, but not everyone in Isrsel lives in tiny apartments. Just so you realize.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 12:25 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I also hate to say this but someone is going to make money off of quarantine survival kits where someone delivers a daily supply of exciting goodies according to the interests of the recipient.
Maybe organizations will do that.
Prime Now offers delivery in 2 hours and they have great Melissa & Doug type craft kits.

OP if it comes down to it, get a Netflix subscription. They probably have an option to cancel without being locked into a contract.
I agree that shabbos will be hard. You'll need books, magazines, games, shabbos party treats and lots of patience.
Just take one day at a time and practice good hygiene and go about your days. No need to panic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics