Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School closed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:08 pm
any one in nyc was told that school wont be open until after the summer? I'm getting so anxious already!

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:53 pm
No but it’s my expectation. It doesn’t seem like kids will go back any time soon.

Just One

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:56 pm
I would be surprised. I don't think most experts are expecting this to last another 3 months. NYC is already quite far along in the cycle

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
any one in nyc was told that school wont be open until after the summer? I'm getting so anxious already!

In Los Angeles the schools are officially closed for the rest of the year. Expect the same.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:51 pm
Even if other restrictions are lifted, schools may stay closed.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 7:11 pm
Schools won’t be open until after the summer at the earliest.

I would be surprised if camps operated in the summer either.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 10:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
Schools won’t be open until after the summer at the earliest.

I would be surprised if camps operated in the summer either.

Says who?

Amarante

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 10:53 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Says who?

It’s not an edict.

it’s a realistic assumption based on how long it will take before the virus no longer represents an existential threat to the medical system.

Italy is still in lockdown and it was in a crisis before the USA

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:42 pm
In Crown Heights that would mean a horrific summer of crime. It's bad enough when the public school kids are out in the summer but 5 full months without school will make the streets terrifying

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:14 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
In Los Angeles the schools are officially closed for the rest of the year. Expect the same.

Officially? I thought this was just a prediction. Last we heard from YRITEA was that they are definitely closed till after pesach.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:00 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Officially? I thought this was just a prediction. Last we heard from YRITEA was that they are definitely closed till after pesach.

The public schools are officially closed for the year, and the whole reason the frum schools announced closure (some weren't taking it seriously) was because it would be a chillul Hashem for the Jewish schools to be open when the public schools weren't.

That will remain the case. This is the new normal.

ladYdI

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:34 am
Does anybody know how the online learning is going for local public schools?
What about for your kids?
My kids only had a few days and it was really very little learning and only by phone because they don’t believe in using computers.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:39 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The public schools are officially closed for the year, and the whole reason the frum schools announced closure (some weren't taking it seriously) was because it would be a chillul Hashem for the Jewish schools to be open when the public schools weren't.

That will remain the case. This is the new normal.

Neither the public schools nor the Jewish schools in my community have announced anything about being closed. They said they'll see April 30th.
Hashem is in charge, hopefully by then the situation will be under control ih.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:03 am
Just One wrote:
I would be surprised. I don't think most experts are expecting this to last another 3 months. NYC is already quite far along in the cycle

Actually most experts are saying that NY hasn't even peaked yet.

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:06 am
Honestly, even if schools open, I'd keep the children home. We still dont know enough if there could be a second wave of reinfection. I'm praying for a fast vaccine with evidence of immunity. May God protect us all.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:08 am
Many places have already announced closures for the rest of the year. NY may be late getting into that game but I can’t imagine they won’t follow.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:44 am
what about New jersey its slowimg down here. I think we will be done in 2 weeks thanks to good social distancing

trixx

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
what about New jersey its slowimg down here. I think we will be done in 2 weeks thanks to good social distancing

NJ today just hit more deaths than 9/11

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:00 am
Countries that relaxed social distancing too early were hit with a second wave...hashem yagen aleinu

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 1:42 am
NYC Public schools have not publicly announced that theyre closed for the rest of the year. The mayor just said he cant picture them reopening for this year.
We really won't know anything until April 30.
Private schools will probably follow the rest of the state. If Cuomo will allow statewide schools to reopen, yeshivos probably will too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children