Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much should I budget to redo my kitchen?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:48 am
Trying to save up money to redo my average sized kitchen. Would need new floors, cabinets, backsplash, sinks etc. The only thing I think I’m okay without replacing is the appliances.
How much should I budget if I’m hoping for a “mid range” remodel (not the cheapest but definitely not the most expensive or anywhere there)...
TIA

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:50 am
At least $50,000.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:50 am
Such a vague question
So hard to answer
Where do you plan to purchase the things you need?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:51 am
My large kitchen cost 100 k

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:53 am
Wow. I guess I’m not redoing it any time soon then 😢. It’ll be a while until I have $50k+ saved up (my kitchen is not large though)

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. I guess I’m not redoing it any time soon then 😢. It’ll be a while until I have $50k+ saved up (my kitchen is not large though)

I have a normal sized kitchen and cabinets only we're $20,000. Not high end. You're doing backsplash, floors, sinks, it adds up.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:00 am
I did some renovations in my house recently. I showed the handyman my kitchen. He said that he can put in an IKEA kitchen for under 10k (didnt discuss details, but I think it's just the cabinets and countertops)

My parents once did this for a tenant apartment. They put in a home depot kitchen. It was really nice.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:05 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I did some renovations in my house recently. I showed the handyman my kitchen. He said that he can put in an IKEA kitchen for under 10k (didnt discuss details, but I think it's just the cabinets and countertops)

My parents once did this for a tenant apartment. They put in a home depot kitchen. It was really nice.

An IKEA kitchen is a waste of money. It cannot withstand the wear and tear of a frum family.
Home depost sells regular brand kitchens, it's not cheap.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:17 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

I put in a peach kitchen this yr. I had a small contractor do it. I told him I want the cheapest kitchen and somewhat decent quality. He got me a fabuwood kitchen. He claims that home Depot is by far not the cheapest.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 3:55 am
I put in a fabuwood kitchen, kept my old appliances put in cabinets, floor, backsplash, quartz counter for less than ten thousand. It looks beautiful three years later.

saralem

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 4:00 am
I love my IKEA kitchen. You can do your kitchen with medium grade products for $20,000, including installation, from ikea. The quality is far superior to Home Depot.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 4:05 am
It really depends. Are the cabinet boxes themselves okay? Can you just replace or refinish the doors? Will you need to move things around - walls, windows, doors, appliances (plumbing)? Is your floor in good structural condition, and can you just put a floating floor on top, or will you need to rip up and replace?

If the layout is fine, and the structural condition is fine, I.e. this is mainly cosmetic, you can probably figure out how to do it for $10,000-$15,000 or so. New cabinet doors and hardware, counters, sinks, backsplash tile, and floating click flooring can be done for not so much, and if you're willing to DIY part of it, even less.

It will cost much more as soon as you need to replace cabinets completely, rip up flooring and refinish the base, move plumbing or electricity, etc. If it is an old house it may be very expensive to bring things up to code.

See here for some inspiration: https://www.apartmenttherapy.c.....30538

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:29 pm
There is no such thing as an average sized kitchen. What size is the room?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:31 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I put in a peach kitchen this yr. I had a small contractor do it. I told him I want the cheapest kitchen and somewhat decent quality. He got me a fabuwood kitchen. He claims that home Depot is by far not the cheapest.

Right. Home depot carries high end kitchens. They also carry Fabuwood kitchens but for the same price as any other kitchen store.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:32 pm
saralem wrote:
I love my IKEA kitchen. You can do your kitchen with medium grade products for $20,000, including installation, from ikea. The quality is far superior to Home Depot.

Home depot carries many brands and different quality kitchens.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:39 pm
Why don’t you start shopping around there are fabiwood kitchens which are reasonable and also salko kitchens which are also reasonable.
Issues I’ve heard with Home Depot is that they don’t know kosher kitchens so it’s hard to work with them. Also regarding countertops there are places that are way cheaper then the regular some people travel out for that you really need to shop around

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don’t despair.
Everyone has different standards.

Check out some of these posts to see a more realistic budget Smile

It also depends on your location.

My kitchen was put in last year, some of the items were really high end, such as the backsplash, and it cost nowhere near 50k. It’s a small kitchen, though, but even if the kitchen would be double the size, it STILL wouldn’t be near 50k.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....74896

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....71626

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:45 pm
We spent about $15 K . Our kitchen is on the smaller side and we did not redo the floors or backsplash. We replaced the broken down cabinets and counters and made two sinks.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:49 pm
I put in a pesach kitchen this year. It cost me all together under 2K with the appliances. I put in cabinets both floor and wall, countertops, sink, and a stove.

DH is in a construction related field. He says he can do my on the larger size kitchen, for about 10k-15k.

Home Depot is definitely not cheap. My sister put in a nice size kitchen, Home Depot wanted 10K justfor cabinets. She went to another place and got the same quality cabinets for 4K. Her whole kitchen cost her 5.5 k including appliances.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
It really depends. Are the cabinet boxes themselves okay? Can you just replace or refinish the doors? Will you need to move things around - walls, windows, doors, appliances (plumbing)? Is your floor in good structural condition, and can you just put a floating floor on top, or will you need to rip up and replace?

If the layout is fine, and the structural condition is fine, I.e. this is mainly cosmetic, you can probably figure out how to do it for $10,000-$15,000 or so. New cabinet doors and hardware, counters, sinks, backsplash tile, and floating click flooring can be done for not so much, and if you're willing to DIY part of it, even less.

It will cost much more as soon as you need to replace cabinets completely, rip up flooring and refinish the base, move plumbing or electricity, etc. If it is an old house it may be very expensive to bring things up to code.

See here for some inspiration: https://www.apartmenttherapy.c.....30538

This was helpful. I likely only need to replace the cabinet doors, the floors are fine and the layout etc is staying the same with two exceptions: there’s an empty space (about the width of a stove) that the previous owners stuck a keter cabinet in but I’d want to put regular cabinets (top and bottom) there. I also want to install an approximate six foot island WITH a sink (which I assume would require plumbing?)

I have around $25k saved up but it took me forever to accumulate it and I don’t really see adding much to it in the foreseeable future.

Is what I want to do possible on this budget?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics