Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How in the world are you working?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:59 pm
I keep wondering how teachers are working? Who takes care of the kids while you teach and prepare? I'm just amazed!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:13 pm
My husband is a teacher and I’m going all the kid work 😀

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:14 pm
* doing
All the house work, zoom classes,laundry, bills
Plus have my own company

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:15 pm
I work with my kids around. My DH is also working.
I don't have a baby now or else I would have to quit. My older kids keep themselves busy on their phone hotlines and my younger ones keep interrupting me.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:17 pm
They only need to teach for 30-60 min during the day. Then they can prepare at night. Like I work at night bc I'm busy with the kids all day.

lovingmommy3417

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:21 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
They only need to teach for 30-60 min during the day. Then they can prepare at night. Like I work at night bc I'm busy with the kids all day.

My husband is a special ed teacher and he is teaching about 4 hours total a day (different kids) not including prep.
I am doing all the kid watching in our house.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:30 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

I am teaching 2 hours a day, sometimes more. My kids are a bit older so they more or less manage on their own during that time, mostly because I allow them to watch things (which I would rather not do, but only so much I can juggle). I have no idea what I would do if I had really little kids. I have been staying up late every night preparing.

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:38 pm
Dh is a classroom teacher while I do seit and setss. I work from 9:30 to 10:30 and 3:30 to 4:30. Shape works the rest of the day. During my morning session, dh supervises my son's zoom therapy. In the afternoon, she and my older son sort of watch my younger son, although he does interrupt me at times.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:39 pm
BH my school is okay with recorded lessons & assignments instead of live zoom every day. I spend a lot of time working at night after bedtime. During naptime I also have live meets with students to conference and answer questions. And there's more screentime than I'd like because I do have meetings and other things I can't miss during the day.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:52 pm
DH is an accountant. Working all hours of day and night as well as helping families, businesses and schools for chesed. Out of the house 15 hours a day.

I am a teacher, working nights to prepare. Delivering class is challenging, my kids have to sit in front of TV with ice cream or popcorn so as not to disturb me.

And now, at night, I lie in bed weeping from exhaustion, and loneliness.

The school don’t know if they can cover my wages, as parents have been unable to pay school fees.
Thank G-d my husband will be paid. He just finished his first year and is still on a very low wage.
I’m trying not to get sucked into a vortex of panic.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:55 pm
It is extremely difficult, to say the least!! I have younger kids, a toddler & a baby who is currently teething. I have no help and am trying to juggle it all. Teaching over the phone requires a complete difference set of lessons and skills than the classroom. I am revamping my whole curriculum and am spending nights creating engaging lessons and worksheets. It’s so disheartening to read all the negative posts on imamother regarding this topic. If anyone has any practical advice of how to make things easier I would greatly appreciate it!! In addition to teaching, I also have to coordinate my kids teleconferences. Oh, and I live in a shoebox...

hitherehithere

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:55 pm
So actually my school is allowing to do night classes so that’s when my kid sleeps so it works out great. This is for teaching older grades...,

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep wondering how teachers are working? Who takes care of the kids while you teach and prepare? I'm just amazed!

The same way the rest of the world is working while the kids are home. At least teachers dont have to work 8 hours a day . Teachers prepare all year when the kids are home. This isn't very different . At least now they're home and they dont have to travel . Teachers are working hard just like the rest of the working parents.

Sunshine3

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
The same way the rest of the world is working while the kids are home. .

Any other job at home (except a therapist) if your child needs help logging in to zoom, if your baby needs to be nursed, if your kids get wild, the toddler wants a snack.... and so forth you can pause (at least withen the next few minutes) and quickly go take care of them and go back. Its not quite as easy when you have 25 kids watching you on zoom.....

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:31 pm
We do live zoom classes. My husband is not home- he is out working!

I have 5 kids kah - oldest is second grade.

I turn on a video- lock the door of my office and teach. All the while I have kids banging on the door. I give a dramatic and animated lesson and emerge from the office to complete utter chaos. I sit down on the couch and hold my baby and cry with them, and swear that I am quitting. my husband comes home and we devise perhaps a new strategy that perhaps will work and I naively continue teaching the next day .

For all those that their children’s teachers are moms with little kids- this is not an exaggeration. I do enjoy every minute that I am teaching- I really do!!!! But it is impossible to be a teacher and a mom at the same time

Not try to get any sympathy - not sure why I am posting this- perhaps the question triggered me as I had a @:&;$;”;’ of a week

(I teach an older grade if that makes a difference)

tryinghard

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

I turn on a video- lock the door of my office and teach. All the while I have kids banging on the door. I give a dramatic and animated lesson and emerge from the office to complete utter chaos. I sit down on the couch and hold my baby and cry with them, and swear that I am quitting. my husband comes home and we devise perhaps a new strategy that perhaps will work and I naively continue teaching the next day .

For all those that their children’s teachers are moms with little kids- this is not an exaggeration. I do enjoy every minute that I am teaching- I really do!!!! But it is impossible to be a teacher and a mom at the same time

Not try to get any sympathy - not sure why I am posting this- perhaps the question triggered me as I had a @:&;$;”;’ of a week

Would any of your kids sit and watch you teach if you allowed them in the room?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:52 pm
Thanks for the advice! My kids are high strung and don’t just sit and color and wouldn’t just sit and watch me teach quietly

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

Wow! What would happen if you would quit? I'm so sorry. Sending you big hug!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
The same way the rest of the world is working while the kids are home. At least teachers dont have to work 8 hours a day . Teachers prepare all year when the kids are home. This isn't very different . At least now they're home and they dont have to travel . Teachers are working hard just like the rest of the working parents.

The original op’s question is directed at the part where you teach a bunch of kids over zoom or a live teleconference, while trying to homeschool your own kids of various ages. I will travel to my job and teach in my classroom, while my sitter tends to my babies any time over this. I cannot hold and rock a screeching baby while I teach, neither can I guide my daughter with her zoom lesson, nor can I stop the wreck my toddler is creating while I teach. I cannot stop fights, answer my kids questions, nurse my baby, take my toddler to the bathroom, or allow myself to be distracted during the hours that I teach or have meetings because that would be inappropriate concerning the nature of my work. Unlike when I’m preparing or doing computer work, or even talking to a client..

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

You're hosting live meetings for 3 hours a day? Once I'm teaching a class, which in my school is on a set schedule, not when I decide is convenient for me, I can't get out of that chair or get interrupted, because I have an entire class waiting for me to lead them and teach them.
Yes, I'm leaving most of my preparation for evenings and Sundays just like I do normally (although there is way more of it and way way more grading since I have kids handing in work instead of just walking around and looking at their notes), but the question is more about how do you host those live classes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics