Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
I can't believe she cursed me out!
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:13 pm
A tzedukah telemarketer just called and started her spiel and I cut her off in the middle and said, " just send me an envelope, I can't pledge over the phone." She then said "oh sh.." and hung up. I am in shock.
I don't pledge to these people because I get so many calls and they sell the lists and someone that I have never heard of before usually calls and says "last year you gave us $54" when I never did any such thing. I can't give more that a few dollars because we get so many calls and we save the envelopes and deal with them a bit at a time.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:31 pm
maybe she just spilled her coffee all over her keyboard and it had nothing to do with you?

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:37 pm
Thumbs Up mama bear.

it's hard to believe that she cursed 'you'. most likely, like mama bear said, it was something else.

MahPitom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
maybe she just spilled her coffee all over her keyboard and it had nothing to do with you?

Ok you got me laughing here, seriously laughing. Good one!

mimivan

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:44 pm
Yes, I also love mamabear's response.

I imagine she was stressed out. working from home, and maybe one of the kids did something...or the coffee..

I wouldn't take it personally..(a bit surprised about the language, but maybe that coffee burn really hurt!)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 5:33 am
Well, some beggars do curse you out if you don't give (enough)...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:25 am
perhaps she doesn't get a commission for that.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:28 am
Yeah I agree, that doesn't sound like a curse to use if someone doesn't want to pledge....that's more of a hot-coffee-all-over-your-lap kind of curse.

Purplehair

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:31 am
Regardless of why she said it, she really should be more careful about how she speaks when other people can hear. This is something that, in the business world, could cost her her job. Its inappropriate in any setting, especially a public one.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 10:41 am
sometimes it's just a reflex ... having nothing to do with you as mama bear suggested ... she is probably oops embarrassed at the moment herself

Purplehair

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 11:23 am
I'm not saying that I don't understand why she may have done it, just saying it isn't such a good idea to have done such.

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 11:25 am
greenfire wrote:
sometimes it's just a reflex ... having nothing to do with you as mama bear suggested ... she is probably oops embarrassed at the moment herself

oy, when it becomes a reflex! oy

Mommish

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 12:10 pm
Before I was frum I had a telemarketing job for a jewish org. Some of the telemarketers were not even Jewish! And most of the Jewish ones were not involved in the organization. You can't necessarily expect aidelkeit from a telemarketer.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 12:24 pm
if you notice they all have the last name Klein, Cohen, Schwartz. They all make up names.

Purplehair

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
if you notice they all have the last name Klein, Cohen, Schwartz. They all make up names.

Of course they do. Did you think this board had the monopoly on that?
LOL

louche

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 8:05 pm
many of the large jewish not-for-profits--the really big ones, like UJA, hadassah, bnai brith--as well as the nonjewish ones, hire telemarketing frms, and most of the employees are not jewish. it's just a job to them, today they may be calling for the world jewish congress, tomorrow for the red cross, and the following day for Worldbank Visa..

most of the smaller ones use volunteers, but sometimes they pay teenagers if they can't get enough volunteers.

southernbubby, she uttered an expletive. it's not the same as cursing you out. cursing you out would have been saying "you @#$&!! stingy %$#@!!".
Not the thing to do, but I'd believe the spilled coffee scenario.

I hear you about the phony "last year you gave" claims. We even got a BILL--yes, a bill, followed by a second bill with a slightly threatening tone, from a certain organization. First they claimed that I pledged $50--a lie, because, like you, we never pledge. Second, even if we would pledge, we would never give to this org because they are loaded up to the gills, and we'd rather give to an org to which will actually appreciate our modest contribution.

They do this on purpose because they know there are people who, when they get these things, will say "I don't remember, but if they say I pledged, I must have pledged and it slipped my mind" and send in the donation.

After the second "collection letter", I called the number they gave and told them point blank that their bill was fraudulent, that I have no intention of donating to their organization, that if I had ever had any such intention their little scheme would have effectively quashed it, that they are to immediately put my name on the "do not call and do not mail" list, and that if they continue billing me I will sue them for fraud.

Haven't heard from them since.

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 8:22 pm
I love getting calls asking me to donate to Chay (as in Charlie) Lifeline.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 8:23 pm
I can't believe they send you "fake" bills. Actually, scratch that, I do believe it.

louche

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 8:25 pm
cassandra wrote:
I love getting calls asking me to donate to Chay (as in Charlie) Lifeline.

Dead giveaway that it's a telemarketer firm.

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 8:26 pm
Especially when it comes from a black man with a Southern accent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics