Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Any of you want to homeschool now?
1  2  Next

behappy2

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:09 pm
I was always a little pro homeschool but wouldn't have done it. Now that I see how much my daughter is learning and developing on her own I am becoming way more pro. I would almost homeschool...well, maybe I will one day. What about you? Seeing the kids be home with less structure, has it made you want to homeschool?

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:11 pm
Would prefer small groups of learning for kids out of the house, think mishnayos/parshah, with fewer hours. Would supplement at home.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:13 pm
I want to. I always had very mixed feelings about my kids' school, but now that I can see the inner workings, things are worse than I thought. We live OOT and this is the only school, but can't move right now for various reasons. If I wasn't worried about their social lives I'd homeschool them in a second.

Despite accounts I've heard on Imamother, I have never meant anyone IRL that was homeschooled and was not a social misfit, so I won't really end up doing it Confused

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:22 pm
No way.
Kids need their friends. They need another authority figure besides parents. They need to spend their day out with other people.
It's been great but when is camp.

amother
White

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:30 pm
Doing my kids' schoolwork with them has been one of my favorite things during lockdown. The hard part is managing all their different-level needs at the same time.

If I could have figured out the logistics, and found a magic source of income that let me stop working, I may have considered it. Reality being what it is, it won't happen.

Metukah

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:59 pm
No way. Never, ever.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:03 pm
I want to send for limudei kodesh and then homeschool for limudei chol.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:07 pm
There are a ton of homeschooled activities for kids to do outside of the home. I've never met anyone who was homeschooled who was a "social misfit" and I'm guessing the people who are probably have other issues going on and would have been socially awkward anyway. The only difference between kids I've met who are homeschooled vs going to public or private school is homeschooled kids seem to be kinder and more accepting. Homeschooling doesn't mean that kids are home all the time and never interact with other adults or kids and never take classes or go to clubs outside of the home.

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:10 pm
If I didn't work than I would want to. I'm loving how much freedom the kids have. How they can learn through things they enjoy. (I'm not really doing the confrences for my kids. It's optional in my my house o most of their learning is happening organically)

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
There are a ton of homeschooled activities for kids to do outside of the home. I've never met anyone who was homeschooled who was a "social misfit" and I'm guessing the people who are probably have other issues going on and would have been socially awkward anyway. The only difference between kids I've met who are homeschooled vs going to public or private school is homeschooled kids seem to be kinder and more accepting. Homeschooling doesn't mean that kids are home all the time and never interact with other adults or kids and never take classes or go to clubs outside of the home.

It could be that's your experience, personally everyone I know who was homeschooled has a hard time interacting socially

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:55 pm
No, I like having a break from my lil dudes.
But huge round of applause for the moms who do this fulltime, pandemic or not! You girls are amazing 💚

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:03 pm
Nope.
I have experience with homeschooling for a while but it’s not For me and this quarantine has cemented that fact.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:43 pm
I use to always want to homeschool but never Would do it because thought it wouldn’t be good for my kids socially. I have way more respect for the school system and teachers (thank Gd my kids really had good teachers this year). I find teaching much harder than I thought. Besides teaching misbehaved kids I think teaching in general so so so hard and I am so impressed for what teachers have to do on a regular basis !

smss

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:58 pm
I kind of do want to homeschool my son for limudei chol (what I'm doing now already). Not kodesh though.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:09 pm
Nope. My children are too far apart in age and have very different interests. It's hard enough to find something fun to do as a family that everyone can enjoy but I don't think I could homeschool them at their appropriate levels unless I could do one on one.

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:11 pm
Hell no! I'm an awful teacher.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:17 pm
Although I complain about tuition, here's another "No Way!!" It's more than enough for me having to figure out best way to deal with my kids outside their education!

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:20 pm
No!!!!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:41 pm
I’d like to homeschool through grade 8 for chol. I would send to BY and yeshiva for older. There are great comprehensive programs that are online based. I’d be happy to not have to deal with carpool ever again. I’d like the ability to make the schedule to fit some learning trips into the week instead of only Sunday afternoon.

Dina2018

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:22 pm
I‘d love to homeschool, that would be great but it‘s forbidden in my country 🙈
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics