Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbors not taking precautions
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Simple1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What grade are we in?

Exactly why I don't focus too much on what others are doing wrong. There's nothing to gain from being the neighborhood tattletale. Less stress for everyone.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:08 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Exact why I don't focus too much on what others are doing wrong. There's nothing to gain from being the neighborhood tattletale. Less stress for everyone.

Neighborhood tattletale? Have you seen any evidence that I’ve revealed what neighborhood this happens in or that I told any of my neighbors? I believe it’s the height of irresponsibility to put our families in danger because of the lack of consideration from people right nearby.
Defending it is beneath contempt. But whatever makes you feel good.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:14 pm
CiCi wrote:
Of course. I'm not really going anywhere but my kids are playing with neighbors. I don't want to have to open a thread that my kids are depressed and need therapy because we are social distancing.

And I don't want to have a thread posting [removed] because the asymptomatic neighbor kid passed it to your kid, and then to you.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:15 pm
Simple1 wrote:
OP used the word disgusted first. She wasn't just bothered.

Oh god! Now I'm really the kindergarten teacher!!
Hello class! I'm Morah Middos and today we will learn about lashon hora and being nice to others.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:16 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Exactly why I don't focus too much on what others are doing wrong. There's nothing to gain from being the neighborhood tattletale. Less stress for everyone.

Tattletale?? Who exactly is she tattling to??
Why can't she vent her frustrations about her neighbors??

CiCi

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
And I don't want to have a thread posting your obituary because the asymptomatic neighbor kid passed it to your kid, and then to you.

The bottom line is that I want to stay sane and I want my kids to stay sane. I try my best, with masks in the stores ( which I barely go to anyway), washing my hands often, and standing 6 feet away from people. The rest I leave up to Hashem.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:27 pm
I'm not ivory amother. I'm not defending anyone. It's not just you OP. A lot of posters on this board seem stressed out with what others are doing. Do what you can and leave the rest to Hashem. (Edit. Cici I crossposted without seeing what you wrote last sentence.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:45 pm
What about next door neighbor declaring that it is now 'over' and then hosting a kiddush party in his side of the yard on shabbos (while guests coming through the shared driveway because he does not want them to go through his house. Or his wife would not let.) This prevented me and my family from going outdoors for hours to enjoy our side of the backyard on a beautiful shabbos day. I try not to be judgmental when people make decisions that are different than mine (yes, even about social distancing), but once their decisions start impacting others that's a deal breaker.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
What about next door neighbor declaring that it is now 'over' and then hosting a kiddush party in his side of the yard on shabbos (while guests coming through the shared driveway because he does not want them to go through his house. Or his wife would not let.) This prevented me and my family from going outdoors for hours to enjoy our side of the backyard on a beautiful shabbos day. I try not to be judgmental when people make decisions that are different than mine (yes, even about social distancing), but once their decisions start impacting others that's a deal breaker.

Oh wow! This is next level slefish and obnoxious!

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:53 pm
CiCi wrote:
Of course. I'm not really going anywhere but my kids are playing with neighbors. I don't want to have to open a thread that my kids are depressed and need therapy because we are social distancing.

Your kids don’t have to be depressed because you’re social distancing. I mean my kids aren’t thrilled about it, but they definitely don’t need therapy because of this.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:56 pm
I think you all need to take a chill pill guys!
Just breathe!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:56 pm
giselle wrote:
Your kids don’t have to be depressed because you’re social distancing. I mean my kids aren’t thrilled about it, but they definitely don’t need therapy because of this.

This is such an ignorant statement!
Thank hashem that you or your kids are not suffering from mental illness. There are many kids that will need heavy therapy after this. Including my DD that her anxiety has reached skyrocketing levels.
And yes, there are kids (and adults) that are actually depressed now. The suicide rate is climbing.
This is 100% taking a toll on our mental health.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

Please give them a call and let them know that what they do in their yard is their business, but they cannot act in a manner that makes you unable to use your yard.

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
This is such an ignorant statement!
Thank hashem that you or your kids are not suffering from mental illness. There are many kids that will need heavy therapy after this. Including my DD that her anxiety has reached skyrocketing levels.
And yes, there are kids (and adults) that are actually depressed now. The suicide rate is climbing.
This is 100% taking a toll on our mental health.

I think you misunderstood me. Your kid needs therapy specifically because she’s social distancing, and if you ignored the rules she’d be fine?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:05 pm
I dont like using such language, but since Op used it on her neighbors, I wanted her to hear back how it sounds.

I HATE HATE HATE the fact that people are busy bashing others. Can this stop already? Why is it anyones business what their neighbors are doing?
Do you take care if they have lice, or if one of their kids are sick?
Perhaps they tested for antibodies and are immune?
Do you care about the non jews that are walking around too?

Im sick of these judgements...

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:07 pm
giselle wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. Your kid needs therapy specifically because she’s social distancing, and if you ignored the rules she’d be fine?

Yes, a child suffering from depression and the depression is worse because they can't play with neighbors and they're social distancing, playing outside with other kids will make the depression much much better. When it comes to mental illness, especially in kids, any change of schedule, especially such a major change, can cause it to become way worse.
I guess you don't know much about mental illness bh.
We made cute kiddie masks and my kids wear them when they play outside.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I dont like using such language, but since Op used it on her neighbors, I wanted her to hear back how it sounds.

I HATE HATE HATE the fact that people are busy bashing others. Can this stop already? Why is it anyones business what their neighbors are doing?
Do you take care if they have lice, or if one of their kids are sick?
Perhaps they tested for antibodies and are immune?
Do you care about the non jews that are walking around too?

Im sick of these judgements...

Because the neighbors are close to my house.
If my neighbor would have lice or be sick, I'd be livid if they come next to my kids.
Neighbors not social distancing puts everyone around them at risk.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:11 pm
Just because the government says we have to do something, does not mean we actually have to. The government is not G-d, and blindly following authority is not a virtue. Your neighbours are thinking for themselves, as adults do, judging the pros and cons and the risks and benefits of their behavior.

You are welcome to think for yourself too. If you believe the government's official line, that everyone must stay 6 feet away from others (despite touching surfaces which many people have touched at the grocery store...) then fine, so be it, do as the government says. Quarentine yourself if you wish. But if other adults decide they could care less which (as they see it, ridiculous) regulations the government ad hoc makes up, then that's their choice and right.

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Yes, a child suffering from depression and the depression is worse because they can't play with neighbors and they're social distancing, playing outside with other kids will make the depression much much better. When it comes to mental illness, especially in kids, any change of schedule, especially such a major change, can cause it to become way worse.
I guess you don't know much about mental illness bh.
We made cute kiddie masks and my kids wear them when they play outside.

Look I know a lot about mental illness but there was a reasoning behind my post. I don’t want to post here. You’re welcome to pm me if you’d like. I apologize for making light of your struggles. Definitely not my intention.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:22 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Just because the government says we have to do something, does not mean we actually have to. The government is not G-d, and blindly following authority is not a virtue. Your neighbours are thinking for themselves, as adults do, judging the pros and cons and the risks and benefits of their behavior.

You are welcome to think for yourself too. If you believe the government's official line, that everyone must stay 6 feet away from others (despite touching surfaces which many people have touched at the grocery store...) then fine, so be it, do as the government says. Quarentine yourself if you wish. But if other adults decide they could care less which (as they see it, ridiculous) regulations the government ad hoc makes up, then that's their choice and right.

Where else does that apply?

I think that most stop signs are ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm going to think for myself and ignore them. If you want to stop, go ahead. If you're worried, don't cross streets. Or buy binoculars. Blowing through stop signs is my right.

I also think that the social convention of queuing is ridiculous. I'm busier and more important than most other people. I go to the front of the line. You think its a good idea? You can wait. Its my right to push my way in.

I also talk loudly at shul, because I am the only important one.

I've long since concluded that I don't care what other people do, so long as it doesn't affect me. So go ahead and enjoy your kiddush club. Just agree that when you or your loved ones inevitably become ill, you take it like a mensch and not use scarce health resources, even if it means dying at home. And so long as you don't block the OP from enjoying her own home and yard.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette