Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Decorating basement into playroom
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:42 pm
My house has a small basement (no windows) that is never used. It's basically just used for storage (but most of the storage down there belongs in the garbage).

With the kids home now, I thought it would be a good idea to turn the basement into a fun place for the kids to play. I want it to be super kid friendly (but not babyish) My kids range from 10- newborn boys/girls. want it to be gender neutral. I want it to be a kid haven (did I mention I'm on a budget!?)

I'm terribly not creative when it comes to decorating so need your advice!
- paint colors: I want it to be fun and lively. right now it's a horrible brown, so anything is an imporvement!
- what "things" can I put down there to make it extra fun- like a reading corner, arts n crafts place (but nothing remotely dangerous b/c I don't want to have to worry about their safety down there

anything else? every suggestion is appreciated!! be creative (and include links if you have!)

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:00 pm
I just renovated my basement and have this fantastic playroom now ( with windows though)
I painted one wall in geometric triangles in diff shades of gray with some yellow and black for a fun look.
I added a fun rug to match and cozy up the place.
A couch is crucial in my opinion. If there isn’t comfy seating then adults and older kids won’t like being there....if I sit with my kids a bit then they will continue playing after I get up etc.
A desk is also good for homework crafts etc.
A good toy storage that’s easy to maintain.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:18 pm
I did a triangle geometric wall in coral, light grey, light green and ivory. It's gorgeous! The other walls are a soft white.
Google for ideas and DIY tutorials.
https://www.google.com/search?.....=2.63

I put in tons of lighting so the room is bright.
I got a cute junior couch from IKEA in vibrant colors.
Have a few bookcases for all children books.
Hung up a big whiteboard on one wall.
I'm not done yet so I'll be following this thread for more ideas.
I'd like to put in a desk somewhere with cabinet space for crafts supplies, but it's not a priority.
I also want a big cozy cute rug but unsure how to keep it clean. Do you vacuum it and roll it up when you wash the floor? Isn't it a pain?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:47 am
Either a rug or foam flooring.

If you can afford it, making 1 wall chalkboard paint is fun.

If there are no windows, you’ll need some sort of good fan down there.

Beanbags

Think about if you need to make it baby safe or if it’s a big kid only zone where they are allowed to leave legos on the floor.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:19 am
A lot of parents think their kids will play in a basement. The reality is that most kids hate it.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:39 am
chocolate moose wrote:
A lot of parents think their kids will play in a basement. The reality is that most kids hate it.

That's if it looks like a basement. Kids will go there if its bright and looks like a fun zone.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
That's if it looks like a basement. Kids will go there if its bright and looks like a fun zone.

Nah. I know people with the most inviting basements and the little kids STILL shlep up the toys to the LR so they're not missing the action upstairs.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:41 am
chocolate moose wrote:

The little ones may not want to go down, but big ones may enjoy having a space to themselves where the little ones can't mess up their games and toys.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:44 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
The little ones may not want to go down, but big ones may enjoy having a space to themselves where the little ones can't mess up their games and toys.

This. My kids are ages 9-14 and they love my basement playroom. I can't say they're there every single day but once they get involved in something they're there for hours!
It's also especially helpful when they have friends over.
I love my basement playroom.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Good point. Also if a mother has the time to stay down there with them little kids will also.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:37 am
amazing advice. thank you all!!

can someone post a link to the rugs you bought?

can someone post a link to the ikea couch or another couch that is afforadble enough for kids to be allowed to jump on it (without constant supervision I cant expect them not to!)

I have a playroom. its not crazy fun zone for kids, but a great place for kids to play which is local to the rest of the house (with couches etc...)

I wanted to redo the basement as an additional place for kids to go, but they wont go unless its inviting. im not expecting them to live down there

keep the idea coming!

paint color ideas?

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:37 am
my kids never played in the basement
but recently they made the basement into a office
it is cozy and has a couch

mommyW

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:13 am
My friend painted her basement playroom in the primary colors. One wall has stripes across in 4 primary colors with thin white stripe in between. So lively and happy!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:25 am
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/k.....4636/

We have this. The cover is removable and washable.
It's comfortable enough too, even I sit on it. It's not a sink in super plush kind of comfy but perfect for a playroom.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:36 am
https://I.imgur.com/4EQU0se.jpg

A partial view of my basement. There’s a couch and window on the other side.
It’s very bright.
My older kids are there a lot especially with friends.
My younger kids I need to settle down there and then they stay there for ages, and definitely with friends.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:39 am
my kids 5 and 10 LOVE their basement playroom. It's their big kid area. They listen to music, younger one jumps on trampoline, we have an art area for older one, hanging swing...

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:48 am
Other things in my basement: my sons keyboard - he spends hours on it. A kitchen set and tool bench for the younger ones.
Things I would try: chalkboard wall and small trampoline.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:48 am
doodlesmom wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/4EQU0se.jpg

A partial view of my basement. There’s a couch and window on the other side.
It’s very bright.
My older kids are there a lot especially with friends.
My younger kids I need to settle down there and then they stay there for ages, and definitely with friends.

so beautiful. looks fancy!
my kids love to play downstairs. I put in a huge rug from wayfair that covers most of the room so they can sit and play. I have a kiddie table and chairs where they currently do all their school work.

chose two three colors that you like and decorate using those colors. match your rug and accessories to the paint. chose calming or lively colors.

regarding the rug, I do not move the rug often to wash underneath. I vacuum the whole room and wash around the rug. my children don't really eat downstairs. we eat at the kitchen table so that helps make cleanup easy.

good luck. this is a fun project to undertake.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:53 am
I also don’t wash under the rug very often, but if I have a high traffic occasion I roll up the rug because it’s light colored and harder to clean if it needs more than a vacuum.
( my pesach kitchen is off the play area so on pesach I roll it up because of all the food down there.)

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:59 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I also don’t wash under the rug very often, but if I have a high traffic occasion I roll up the rug because it’s light colored and harder to clean if it needs more than a vacuum.
( my pesach kitchen is off the play area so on pesach I roll it up because of all the food down there.)

I love your playroom colors! Beautiful.
Where did you get the desk?
I don't allow food in the basement either but I don't have a great vacuum cleaner for carpet. What do you use to vacuum it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics