Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
What to do - I hate my wig
1  2  Next

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:44 pm
This is a bit of a vent and a bit of a request for help.
I bought a new wig a couple of months ago. At the sheitel macher, it looked wonderful. I came home and suddenly in my own mirror it's just not right. I tried pulling it forward, pushing it back, tucking behind my ear, putting in a Bobby pin, I checked every mirror in the house with all different lighting... its just not working. The style doesn't suit me.
I was thinking of trying to sell it, then read some posts on here about people looking to sell second hand wigs and it turns out you don't get nearly what you paid for it.
So I'm venting because it feels unfair that such a big-ticket item is something that is by definition non-returnable.
But I'm posting about it to see if anyone has any suggestions. Is it reasonable to ask my sheitel macher to take it back for a store credit? I'll gladly buy a different wig to replace it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

computergirl

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:47 pm
I think it's reasonable to ask but be prepared that she may not offer you as big of a store credit as you would want because once it's cut and colored the value does decline. But first why don't you make sure that you really really don't like it? Maybe take it back and ask her what she can do- maybe mess with the color, add hair, cut it, change up the style (wavy/straight) add baby hairs...

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:49 pm
Take it back and see if anything can be done to get you to like it better. A recut, hair removal or adding hair, a dye, bands, a lace front ect. She should try and make it better for you. HOWEVER, Once it’s cut, and a few months later no less- you can’t except store credit- it’s really not fair to her. You can ask for a cost price or partial refund or try reselling it.

Good luck! I know it’s extremely frustrating!

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:49 pm
computergirl wrote:
I think it's reasonable to ask but be prepared that she may not offer you as big of a store credit as you would want because once it's cut and colored the value does decline. But first why don't you make sure that you really really don't like it? Maybe take it back and ask her what she can do- maybe mess with the color, add hair, cut it, change up the style (wavy/straight) add baby hairs...

I see we crossed posted but this is exactly what I’m saying...

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:52 pm
Sheitels are like diamonds and new cars. The second you buy them, they lose half their value.

I seriously doubt the sheitelmacher will give you store credit, unless she is certain she will have another buyer for it.

What specifically is not working? Is it the part, the bangs, the overall cut, the color? A lot of these things can be fixed very cheaply. If the fit is off that's a touch more expensive, but it can still be done.

Sheitels are such tricky things. I bought a brand new one when I got married, and it was a lemon. No matter what I did, it never lay right on my head, tangled up at the back of my neck, and generally just looked a hot mess.

Someone here was selling the EXACT same sheitel, same company and model, same color, cut, everything, and I bought it for less than half the price of the original. The hair is gorgeous! Soft and sleek and the waves are just right, it lays very naturally, and I always get tons of compliments for it.

Go figure. Rolling Eyes

So let me know what you hate about yours, and maybe I can suggest some ways to get it to cooperate for you.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:54 pm
computergirl wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
The wig was more expensive than standard because it's a blunt cut, no layers. I don't want to pay even more money to add hair or to have it recut, because what if I still don't like it?
Another issue which I forgot to mention in my OP, is that the cap isn't so comfortable. So I'm more inclined to see if there's a way to get rid of the wig but not at a big loss.
I guess I'm looking for a solution which doesn't really exist Speechless

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:57 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion.
The wig was more expensive than standard because it's a blunt cut, no layers. I don't want to pay even more money to add hair or to have it recut, because what if I still don't like it?
Another issue which I forgot to mention in my OP, is that the cap isn't so comfortable. So I'm more inclined to see if there's a way to get rid of the wig but not at a big loss.
I guess I'm looking for a solution which doesn't really exist Speechless

Why do t you post all the details here and maybe someone will be interested?

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:02 pm
It's an Irene 23" blunt cut wig, size medium.
Color is 1-2-8, with slight highlighting around the face.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:04 pm
Thank you all for commiserating. Every time I see the sheitel sitting in my closet I feel sad all over again, but it's nice to know someone sympathizes with me! I know these things happen all the time with clothes, but a wig is expensive enough that the disappointment is magnified.

penguin

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:04 pm
There may be s/t to be done to make it fit better, adding material or taking away, adjusting ear pieces. If you're willing to say where you live, there may be recommendations for places that are good at that.

silverlining3

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:07 pm
Whenever I buy a new wig my sheitel macher wants me to be satisfied and always tells me I can come back if I don't like style or cut. But u said it's a few months old already so not sure. I guess trying to go see what your sheitel macher has to offer doesn't cost money. Good luck

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:09 pm
penguin wrote:
There may be s/t to be done to make it fit better, adding material or taking away, adjusting ear pieces. If you're willing to say where you live, there may be recommendations for places that are good at that.

The sheitelmacher I use is great, and I'm sure she can fix the wig. But I'm a bit wary of spending money on making changes that might still not end up being right for my head and face.
I should probably change the title to "vent" instead of "what to do" Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:11 pm
Is the cap too small or too big?

If it's too big, it's pretty easy to take it in.

If it's too small, it's a bit trickier to let it out, especially depending on where it is feeling too tight.

I'm right between a medium and a large, and I'm prone to migraines. Fit is everything!

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:14 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Whenever I buy a new wig my sheitel macher wants me to be satisfied and always tells me I can come back if I don't like style or cut. But u said it's a few months old already so not sure. I guess trying to go see what your sheitel macher has to offer doesn't cost money. Good luck

When life goes back to normal (specifically, when my sheitelmacher reopens), I'll do this. Thank you!

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is the cap too small or too big?

If it's too big, it's pretty easy to take it in.

If it's too small, it's a bit trickier to let it out, especially depending on where it is feeling too tight.

I'm right between a medium and a large, and I'm prone to migraines. Fit is everything!

The cap is tight Sad
I'm also between a medium and large cap and prone to headaches; I usually take a large to be on the safe side. This sheitel was just bashert to bring me some heartache, I guess.

cnc

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:19 pm
How much would you sell it for

Librarian

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:19 pm
Two years ago I HATED my new wig. In my case, it was layered too much but I could not really blame the sheitle macher as I probably did not give enough specific direction. She tried to help and got longer hair to replace some of the shorter layers but I was still never really happy and like you, I refused to put another penny into it out of fear of throwing good money after bad. I also did not want to sell it at a big loss. I wore it because I had no choice but I was unhappy. After about 18 months enough time seemed to have passed to make me reconsider spending the money. I replaced the entire top for $900 which is a ton of money but much cheaper than a new wig. And now I am THRILLED. I feel like I have a new wig. So perhaps you just need to wait until the sting wears off a little and then try again. You may end up happy like I am Smile

Librarian

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:21 pm
Oh and I had another wig that gave me headaches - the sheitle macher sent it out to someone to make it bigger it did not cost much and now is very comfortable. So it can be done and it's worth it.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:29 pm
Librarian wrote:
Two years ago I HATED my new wig. In my case, it was layered too much but I could not really blame the sheitle macher as I probably did not give enough specific direction. She tried to help and got longer hair to replace some of the shorter layers but I was still never really happy and like you, I refused to put another penny into it out of fear of throwing good money after bad. I also did not want to sell it at a big loss. I wore it because I had no choice but I was unhappy. After about 18 months enough time seemed to have passed to make me reconsider spending the money. I replaced the entire top for $900 which is a ton of money but much cheaper than a new wig. And now I am THRILLED. I feel like I have a new wig. So perhaps you just need to wait until the sting wears off a little and then try again. You may end up happy like I am Smile

Thanks for the validation. This is exactly how I feel.

Librarian

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:51 pm
Maybe this will help even more - I also cried Smile)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels