Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Harsh letter from rabbanim in Florida (not about visitors)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

fleetwood

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
You may know people who went, but I know many people who changed their plans and did not go. If it's true what you are saying about New York hospitals, then certainly we do not want that to be happening in Florida hospitals too. Keep the germs where they are until they die out. Stay home and stop the spread.

Please let's not forget the snowbirds who brought it back to New York. I guess that was ok.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:42 am
watergirl wrote:
The whole thing is so sad. So many things are coming out that I wish I did now know about. I hear you on those lines. I would not know about the secret schools if I didn't read those threads... and no one forced me to. I would be a lot happier if I did not know what I know. But is ignorance bliss?

I don't know if it's bliss. I think it's possible to be somewhat ignorant yet not naive, I.e. believe that regrettably we're still in galus so things could be happening and I don't need to know everything.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:42 am
fleetwood wrote:
Please let's not forget the snowbirds who brought it back to New York. I guess that was ok.

No it was not OK. I know snowbirds that stayed in Florida, and are still there. For their own sake, they should not be able n planes, nor should they be taking road trips.
Stay where you are, stay home and stop the spread. If you don't want to listen to the rabbis, listen to the experts in infectious disease. (not talking about those with political agendas.)

By staying home, you are actively stopping the spread.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:52 am
fleetwood wrote:
Why fake news..I know the Rabbi personally,my mom is a member of the congregation.

She got the letter?
What I'm finding hard to believe about this letter, is that we're living in a time of PC, when we're so sensitive to people, and yet a rabbi opens a letter with that wording.
The same thing can be said in a way that is befitting of a rabbi's position. More often, letters such as these would begin with something along the lines of 'it pains me'.
The wording here makes me feel that this is either a power struggle, or someone MAD that has to show how MAD he is, or a host of other things I won't name. It doesn't reflect well on the writer.
To top that off, I hear that this letter is directed to 70 and 80 year olds.
I just find this awfully offensive and disrespectful to that age group.

fleetwood

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
She got the letter?
What I'm finding hard to believe about this letter, is that we're living in a time of PC, when we're so sensitive to people, and yet a rabbi opens a letter with that wording.
The same thing can be said in a way that is befitting of a rabbi's position. More often, letters such as these would begin with something along the lines of 'it pains me'.
The wording here makes me feel that this is either a power struggle, or someone MAD that has to show how MAD he is, or a host of other things I won't name. It doesn't reflect well on the writer.
To top that off, I hear that this letter is directed to 70 and 80 year olds.
I just find this awfully offensive and disrespectful to that age group.

First of all, nobody named names. Second, this letter came on the heels of numerous warnings for the past 2 months. It's disrespectful to put elderly at risk because you want to say kaddish.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:16 am
If the vast majority of this shul is elderly, isn't it likely that the people who conducted the minyan were also elderly? So the elderly were putting the elderly at risk?

You can't control people forever, no matter how much authoritarians would like to. People, and yes even elderly people, will eventually need to be allowed to make their own risk-benefit calculations. And yes, that is true even when it effects others. If it wasn't, we'd take away people's licenses starting at age 70 considering they cause a high proportion of car accidents.

moonstone

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:17 am
This is good, but I wish rabbis would be this harsh with men who refuse to give their wife a get.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:15 pm
fleetwood wrote:

Not at all ok. Thanks for reminding us that the traveling taking place both to and from FL was on behalf of NYers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:15 pm
moonstone wrote:
This is good, but I wish rabbis would be this harsh with men who refuse to give their wife a get.

This. So much this. And men who molest children.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This. So much this. And men who molest children.

They only come out against things that are politically expedient for them, apparently.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
If the vast majority of this shul is elderly, isn't it likely that the people who conducted the minyan were also elderly? So the elderly were putting the elderly at risk?

You can't control people forever, no matter how much authoritarians would like to. People, and yes even elderly people, will eventually need to be allowed to make their own risk-benefit calculations. And yes, that is true even when it effects others. If it wasn't, we'd take away people's licenses starting at age 70 considering they cause a high proportion of car accidents.

Rules of the shul. If these congregants felt the need, that is their choice, but they are thereby making the choice to leave the shul.
Now the others know and they can decide if it is worth it to them. Go to minyan, then find another shul.
Like others have said, it is refreshing to see a shul that stands by their word. Three strikes and you're out. Or, to quote my favorite movie, there's no crying in baseball.

fleetwood

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Not at all ok. Thanks for reminding us that the traveling taking place both to and from FL was on behalf of NYers.

Actually snowbirds was not the correct term. I know plenty of Florida residents who came up north for pesach and brought a lovely gift with them..guess what that gift was....

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:44 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Actually snowbirds was not the correct term. I know plenty of Florida residents who came up north for pesach and brought a lovely gift with them..guess what that gift was....

Really? How many do you know? I leave in FL and I'm an active member of the community here. I'm not aware of even one family that traveled for pesach this year. Everyone cancelled their plans and stayed home. People would have to be pretty stupid to travel there for pesach, since NY was in really terrible shape at the time, while it was BH much less intense here. Who was dumb enough to fly right into the lion's den?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Yes it was disgusting the way they went about it. To go to the governor and complain about Jews that’s disgusting. There are nicer ways they could have achieved what they wanted. It shows the true colors of Floridians and seeing what they did pesach and what the rabbis of the shuls did on pesach telling the people to tell on their neighbors if they have guest to the authorities. This letter didn’t come out of a vacuum. I’m not surprised being that most people lost respect for the Florida rabbis after pesach anyways this just shows their true colors.

Another entitled NYorker showing her true colors

fleetwood

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:23 pm
Really? How many do you know? I leave in FL and I'm an active member of the community here. I'm not aware of even one family that traveled for pesach this year. Everyone cancelled their plans and stayed home. People would have to be pretty stupid to travel there for pesach, since NY was in really terrible shape at the time, while it was BH much less intense here. Who was dumb enough to fly right into the lion's den?

I'm not naming names but a bunch of people from South Florida. Luckily my mom was smart enough to stay put.

fleetwood

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Another entitled NYorker showing her true colors

And another out of towner that's obviously jealous of those lucky enough to live in New York.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:29 pm

I’ll say the same. I’m in NMB, I don’t know of anyone who traveled north for Pesach this year. We all made it here in our homes!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:53 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I'm not naming names but a bunch of people from South Florida. Luckily my mom was smart enough to stay put.

I didn't ask for names, I asked for a number. How many families do you know who live in Florida all year and traveled to NY for pesach this year?

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:11 pm
Honestly I saw the letter yesterday and I was horrified. Combined with the way the Florida community acted pesach time to new Yorkers I think that if we want Maschiach to come they better work on their bein Adam l’chaveiro.

Who are u horrified at? The Rabbis taking action, or the rogue minyan makers ?

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:15 pm
Hello that was at the height of corona it’s different now. Now they are allowing porch minyanims and in New Jersey they are talking about opening up minyanim this week or next week.

Florida is basically opened already. the beaches are opened and universal studios is opening this week.

Did they really do something wrong? It seems to me more the rabbi has an ego that he told them not to do it and they didn’t listen and he can’t get over his pride. I’m not surprised seems like Orlando rabbi I’m fight with each other and in boca the rabbonim fight each trying to be the best rabbi so really this is nothing new.

Yeah, Come on, let the lashon hara rip, we don’t have enough problems!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics