Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Harsh letter from rabbanim in Florida (not about visitors)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Really? How many do you know? I leave in FL and I'm an active member of the community here. I'm not aware of even one family that traveled for pesach this year. Everyone cancelled their plans and stayed home. People would have to be pretty stupid to travel there for pesach, since NY was in really terrible shape at the time, while it was BH much less intense here. Who was dumb enough to fly right into the lion's den?

What about people that went there recently from NY? That’s what a family on my block did. For a few weeks.

imasoftov

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
... most deaths happened Over Shabbos or yom tov when the Jews were celebrating Shabbos or yom tov and the Jewish nurses weren’t working. Every Sunday there were over 70 levayas.

Where might one be able to find data on this? I haven't been able to find data for just NYC by day, and even if I did, it probably wouldn't be broken down by religion.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:26 pm
Honestly I think it's shameful how some Jews are acting. We have seriously lost our way. How does "science" and government demands lead to so much hate and ridiculous decisions by rabbis? The florida rabbis are very wrong and to pretend they have torah on their side is pathetic.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 5:31 pm
what Im surprised is why they are mad about it now when FL is reopening already?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Honestly I think it's shameful how some Jews are acting. We have seriously lost our way. How does "science" and government demands lead to so much hate and ridiculous decisions by rabbis? The florida rabbis are very wrong and to pretend they have torah on their side is pathetic.

Right, the Torah is all about conspiracy theories. If a scientist says it's a threat to human life we need to assume he has an ulterior motive and do the exact opposite of what he recommends. .

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:09 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Another entitled NYorker showing her true colors

Chareidi bashing, NY bashing.
What is your problem?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:25 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
what Im surprised is why they are mad about it now when FL is reopening already?

FL reopening doesn't make the senior population any less vulnerable (possibly more vulnerable).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
FL reopening doesn't make the senior population any less vulnerable (possibly more vulnerable).

Not to mention, many rabbanim and organizations have said that shuls should wait at least 2 more weeks to reopen once the government lifts restrictions.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:28 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Where might one be able to find data on this? I haven't been able to find data for just NYC by day, and even if I did, it probably wouldn't be broken down by religion.

local chevra kashida, funeral homes, Misaskim.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Chareidi bashing, NY bashing.
What is your problem?

I love NY, lived there most of my life Very Happy

I was just addressing one specific poster

zaq

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know how to upload a screen shot, but I found a link to the letter on Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/avi.....68992
Maybe someone who is better at this can post the picture. In short, it says that anyone in their community who disobeyed the clear medical and halachic guidelines to refrain from davening with a minyan will be stripped of any leadership positions and will not be allowed to have any kibbudim.

What do you think of that?

ETA: https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

I think the leadership is 100% right and I applaud the action. The perps flouted not only medical advice but every.single.rabbinic.leader of their community. They deserve to be publicly whipped, imo, but without a genuine beit din with such authority, kicking them off the shul board and denying them kibbudim is all the rabbinic leadership could do. It's not cherem and nobody is denying the perps burial in a Jewish cemetery.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 4:55 pm
I believe all the negative remarks are from people who wanted to come to FL and couldn't, they're angry and need places to blame.

I live in FL, we love living here, we left NY a few years ago and are so proud of our Rabbonim for standing up to spoiled NYers who are mad they didn't get their way.

Grow up and stop posting negative posts because you couldn't do what you want!
I had to change travel plans and missed an important event because Corona messed it up, I survived.

All the high and mighty Nyers who say they will go elsewhere to teach FL a lesson for Daring them not to allow them to bring Corona here as if it's good enough for Nyers to die by the thousands, why not spread the goodness.

Please don't come here, we hate when you do, the attitude and chutzpah makes us embarrassed to be frum. Yes, some places will suffer. but they'll figure it out if business slows down.

All the negative posts lately are making me really not want ti see anyone from NY!!!

fleetwood

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I believe all the negative remarks are from people who wanted to come to FL and couldn't, they're angry and need places to blame.

I live in FL, we love living here, we left NY a few years ago and are so proud of our Rabbonim for standing up to spoiled NYers who are mad they didn't get their way.

I had to change travel plans and missed an important event because Corona messed it up, I survived.

All the high and mighty Nyers who say they will go elsewhere to teach FL a lesson for Daring them not to allow them to bring Corona here as if it's good enough for Nyers to die by the thousands, why not spread the goodness.

Please don't come here, we hate when you do, the attitude and chutzpah makes us embarrassed to be frum. Yes, some places will suffer. but they'll figure it out if business slows down.

All the negative posts lately are making me really not want ti see anyone from NY!!!

You sound just lovely. Wonder if all the restaurants and hotels feel the same as you do..I think not. If you are an example of what Floridians are like,then trust me,noone wants to go anywhere near you. What a nasty post. Sounds like the lady doth protest too much.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:21 pm
I keep on hearing that
The Jews in Florida begged the governor to not allow NYers to come

Is there a source to this?
That the Jews did this.

I read the governor’s restrictions and it wasn’t just NY/NJ. It was NY, NJ, Louisiana, and Massachusetts, the hot spots at the time

Jews in FL. don’t have much pull in politics, here.

And BTW- the letter became public because the one who it was addressed to made it public because he’s upset with the Rabbi

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:22 pm

Considering the letter posted by the kosher restaurants in Orlando saying the community was not doing enough to support them and they are on the verge of going out of business, it doesn’t appear the FL business community is “figuring it out”.

And it’s ironic you’re saying that the negative posts are making you embarrassed, when this post has to be one of the most astonishingly disgusting and judgmental posts stigmatizing the entire NY Jewish community as if we all think with one brain. This post makes me embarrassed to be a jew more than anything I’ve ever seen on here.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:28 pm
imasoftov wrote:

Shul’s were asked to donate tallitot because there weren’t enough to bury the dead, and the shipment wasn’t coming in.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:35 pm

Additionally, the people that held this minyan were clearly native Floridians or they wouldn’t have been on shul boards. So maybe your community should look within before jumping on everyone else. Can’t fix everyone else before you fix yourself.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:50 pm
I received this rebuttal letter via whatsapp today. It puts a different spin on things:

REBUTTAL BY A RESIDENT OF CENTURY VILLAGE DEERFIELD BEACH
The rogue minyan referred to in the letter by YIDB took place at a far corner of the property of Century Village, not on YOUNG ISRAEL’s property. The Minyan consisted of 11 people, all masked, with 5 men davening on the grass, socially distant and 6 people on their respective porches spread out on three different floors, on Shabbos morning. The davening did not even include KRIYAS HATORAH and was a one-time minyan for the purpose of saying a KADDISH on a yurtzeit!

The reaction from YIDB was an extreme public shaming of the participants with abusive language, name-calling, and circulating it to thousands of people. This RECHILAS that went ‘viral’, scattered around the world was, by design, humiliating for the sake of humiliation. It was intentionally defamatory and borderline libelous with their exaggerated language especially by omitting the mitigating details.

It defies one’s logic and rationale that Young Israel of Deerfield Beach conferred this extreme punishment of ostracizing, humiliating and ridiculing Yidden publicly for the sin of davening and saying KADDISH on a yurtzeit, when, indeed, there are daily social gatherings in circles of more than 20 people at one time right here on the same lawn for hours! It is a powerful and physical reminder of a dark period in history when Jews were persecuted for praying.

The shame and humiliation Young Israel perpetrated globally and the Machlokes and Sinas Shinam that they created in a time of a global pandemic, is not retrievable and unforgiveable.

Beezras Hashem this entire episode should pass without additional damage and we look forward to a peaceful existence for all of klal yisroel.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:03 pm
fleetwood wrote:
You sound just lovely. Wonder if all the restaurants and hotels feel the same as you do..I think not. If you are an example of what Floridians are like,then trust me,noone wants to go anywhere near you. What a nasty post. Sounds like the lady doth protest too much.

Ah yes, because the hotels are what we're worried abt right now. not the old people.

fleetwood

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Ah yes, because the hotels are what we're worried abt right now. not the old people.

I'm not talking about now. And I care plenty for my elderly mom..so try again
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics