Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Please give me names of schools that will accept most kids
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:46 pm
thanks for the number correction! I believe number I posted is from last year when they were formerly toras yisroel

Simple1

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:46 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Are you planning to move to Lakewood and you can't get your kids into schools? Or are your kids currently out of schools??
I'd be wary of sending to a school that accepts everyone.

This attitude becomes part of a viscous cycle that feeds into the problem. No matter how excellent the school really is.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
thanks for the number correction! I believe number I posted is from last year when they were formerly toras yisroel

The current school has zero to do with toras yisroel. The only thing in common may be some of the student body.
It's different owners, different staff, different location, different finances.

Mommyg8

crust wrote:
I always knew there is a problem in Lakewood (as in many other communities.)

But since I've watched a woman of Lakewood talk (cry) how her kids are not accepted in any school the problem became more real in my mind and I can't wrap my head around it.

What's going on? Can someone come in with an unemotional response to this? What's the logic? How does this happen?

Let's say if I came into Lakewood today and decided I'm going to open a school with mesiras nefesh, will someone stop me?

I'm sure there are people like me in Lakewood. Why isn't it happening?

I really only want an explanation. I don't want a bashing thread.
You can pm me if you feel more comfortable but please everyone replying to me, please keep the responses respectful.

Thanks.

There are new schools - both for boys and girls - being opened every year. Existing schools are adding more classes every year.

There is also a huge internal growth (boruch Hashem), and external growth as so many new families move here every year.

Couple this issue of supply and demand with the Lakewood attitude of exclusivity, where everyone wants to send to a school that only accepts children from the "best" homes, and you have a really big problem...

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Sun, May 17 2020, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol. Call Rechnitz and maybe suggest it?

Can someone call rechnitz and suggest to him opening a school for everyone. Like toras emes in LA?

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:52 pm
got it thanks. just assumed that most of student body transferred by default. in any case tiferes yechiel is a terrific cheider from what I hear

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Tiferes Yechiel 732-835-2122
Excellent cheder!

Op above are 2 good options. Have you tried any of those?

Nope. Definitely going to call though. Thank you!

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:53 pm
I was gonna suggest Tiferes Yechiel but I wasn't sure you want a chassidish cheder.
What ages are your girls?? Bais Hachinuch is Tiferes yechiel type.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t know what the problem is, but I’ll tell you this. The schools kids go to are among the questions asked their whole life. Every application we fill out wants the cheder my husband went to and yeshiva katana etc. and
My school and my seminary. Can’t wait for the second generation where kids can’t get into school because their parents were home schooled or didn’t go to seminary.

I just want to say this - we sent to a school that "nobody" else would send to because of x,y,z reason. We were warned that we were playing with fire and our kids won't get into... won't get shidduchim... So we did what was best for our kids, and let Hashem worry about the rest. And Hashem did Smile. Our children are now teenagers and adults and there have Boruch Hashem been no problems... IMO it's all a lot of hype fed by the fear factor, ec.

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:54 pm
go for it! and keep us posted please

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:55 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
There are new schools - both for boys and girls - being opened every year. Existing schools are adding more classes every year.

There is also a huge internal growth (boruch Hashem), and external growth as so many new families move here every year.

Couple this issue of supply and demand with the Lakewood attitude of exclusivity, where everyone wants to send to a school that only accepts children from the "best" homes, and you have a really big problem...

I hate this attitude. My kids don’t need to be the best or with the best. They need to feel they belong to klal yisroel. It doesn’t count if I’m the only one who tells them they’re great.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hate this attitude. My kids don’t need to be the best or with the best. They need to feel they belong to klal yisroel. It doesn’t count if I’m the only one who tells them they’re great.

I was just answering crust's question. I'm not part of the problem...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I just want to say this - we sent to a school that "nobody" else would send to because of x,y,z reason. We were warned that we were playing with fire and our kids won't get into... won't get shidduchim... So we did what was best for our kids, and let Hashem worry about the rest. And Hashem did Smile. Our children are now teenagers and adults and there have Boruch Hashem been no problems... IMO it's all a lot of hype fed by the fear factor, ec.

And if my kids don’t go to school at all, their Shidduch prospects won’t be pretty either. Besides which my list of requirements for shidduchim is something like they need to be a religious Jew, and they need to practice mentchlichkeit. I’m super exclusive like that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:57 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I was just answering crust's question. I'm not part of the problem...

I didn’t think you were. Fear not.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I was gonna suggest Tiferes Yechiel but I wasn't sure you want a chassidish cheder.

I need all ages from primary to 8th

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Yes! I went to a mixed day school, nearly got kicked out of one high school, didn't graduate with a diploma from the second high school, AND went to a seminary that had a terrible reputation.

I still got married to an amazing man from a really special family.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in Lakewood. I wouldn’t move here without schools. It would be a nightmare. It’s a long story, and I don’t really want anyone recognizing me on here. I’ve even tried neighboring cities and they don’t want Lakewood kids because Lakewood should take care of it’s own problems.

And ‘I’d be wary of a school that accepts everyone’ is exactly the problem here.

I don't think that being "wary of a school that accepts everyone" means that people don't want their kids schooled with "everyone" - I think it's more that, sadly, accepting everyone is usually a sign that the school is desperate. When I was getting my daughter into school, we were urged to go to Ateres Tzipora who "accepted everyone" and we were leery of it simply because the school was very mismanaged, and that's why they took everyone - because they needed the students. I was very relieved that we didn't send there when they shut down and left their students floundering.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:06 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Bais hachinuch gives you a very hard time to get in unless you offer a lot of money. Witnessed it with my friend, regular normal heimish family.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need all ages from primary to 8th

You don't need to answer but I'm just super curious how such a phenomenon happens that you are a Lakewood resident and don't have a school for ANY of your kids?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I don't think that being "wary of a school that accepts everyone" means that people don't want their kids schooled with "everyone" - I think it's more that, sadly, accepting everyone is usually a sign that the school is desperate. When I was getting my daughter into school, we were urged to go to Ateres Tzipora who "accepted everyone" and we were leery of it simply because the school was very mismanaged, and that's why they took everyone - because they needed the students. I was very relieved that we didn't send there when they shut down and left their students floundering.

Out of town kids are assured a place in school. I have friends in Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit. Kids go to school together there and the kids are way more down to earth than in town kids.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries