Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus appears to be ‘very rare’
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:12 pm
https://nypost.com/2020/06/08/.....rare/

I knew it. I really did not understand how they could claim that asymptomatic ppl. were so contagious. I kept arguing it all along. (especially with one specific poster here)

happyone

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:13 pm
Watch the info change by next week.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:49 pm
Even so, there are 2 important points:

1. It is spread a lot by symptomatic people - including before they express symptoms. There is a sort of asymptomatic contagious phase before you feel sick, similar to some other viruses. So we still have to protect other peopls from ourselves if we feel fine.

2. People are contagious with symptoms- including a list of unusual symptoms. It isn't hard to be symptomatic and still not know you have it. A little bit of GI symptoms or a lone mild headache or 2 doesn't always alarm you that you have covid.

The findings don't change anything.

(Unfortunately, we can't all quarantine for every headache...)

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:57 pm
This was completely misinterpreted. As cozyblanket posted, there are a lot of "symptoms" that appear before one starts becoming deathly ill. Someone could appear to be asymptomatic to a casual observer but there really could be in the early stages.

It was one women in a press conference and it was immediately clarified.

Of course people can model their behavior as they determine but personally I am going to assume that if I venture out, I risk coming into contact with someone who can infect me even if they aren't coughing and sneezing and hacking. So it's really not going to change my behavior or my risk assessment.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:06 pm
Then why has the spread been so stealth?

Not feeling so confident in the WHO right now.
They made a few wrong determinations already with regards to covid-19.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:07 pm
happyone wrote:

Ha. Took about a day. CNN's top story is about the WHO basically backtracking on what they said. "We still dont know yadda yadda" and one doc they reference says asymptomatic transmission is between 30-50%

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09......html

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:09 pm
No, what the title of the thread says is not true.. Really 40% of infections are caused by asymptomatic carriers...
She backtracked:

Quote:
WHO expert backtracks after saying asymptomatic transmission 'very rare'

Maria Van Kerkhove says she accepts models show up to 40% of infections come from asymptomatic people
https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....-rare

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:12 pm
My policy is, wear PPE, social distance as much as possible, and assume everyone else has it and is contagious. Wash hands often, especially when you've been out in public like on the bus or at the store (assuming you aren't wearing gloves.)

If you just assume that everyone on the planet is currently contagious, then you don't have to worry about guessing who has it, how they got it, and if they can pass it on.

Easy peasy.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
This was completely misinterpreted. As cozyblanket posted, there are a lot of "symptoms" that appear before one starts becoming deathly ill. Someone could appear to be asymptomatic to a casual observer but there really could be in the early stages.

It was one women in a press conference and it was immediately clarified.

Of course people can model their behavior as they determine but personally I am going to assume that if I venture out, I risk coming into contact with someone who can infect me even if they aren't coughing and sneezing and hacking. So it's really not going to change my behavior or my risk assessment.

Unfortunately the damage is done. It wasn't the smartest announcement to make, without giving clear implications to policy.
Just means more people will be coming to my kids' (legal) school back yard get-togethers without their masks. More chances my kids will get teased for not going to indoor play dates.
Gee thanks.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Ha. Took about a day. CNN's top story is about the WHO basically backtracking on what they said. "We still dont know yadda yadda" and one doc they reference says asymptomatic transmission is between 30-50%

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09......html

I never believed it.
Why trust the WHO after their history of false statements.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:33 pm
WADR, OP, I really don't get this attitude of "hah! I knew it all along!" about things that are only now being proven.

I'm not trying to pick on you, specifically. I've been seeing this a lot on this site.

If you say, for example, "I think that left-handed people don't get a severe form of the coronavirus" (picking a deliberately bizarre example here to minimize offense)

and amother-rainbow says, "There's no proof that's true, so left-handed people should be as careful as anyone else"

and then later scientists find out that left-handed people really are less vulnerable,

That is not a "nyah-nyah, I was right and amother-rainbow was wrong" moment for you. You had a correct guess, but it was only a guess. She was right to say that you didn't know.

Nobody has been saying that there definitely is asymptomatic spread, that children definitely do spread the virus, that specific regions definitely don't have herd immunity, that people who remember having a scratchy throat in February definitely didn't really have coronavirus (or if they did, definitely don't have antibodies now), that people who test negative and then test positive again are definitely contagious... etc. People have been saying that we don't know and so maybe we should wait until we do know rather than assuming our most optimistic guesses are definitely true.

4g01o

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 3:34 pm
Yes I saw. Now can schools open now please!! Lol

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:24 pm
You know how we can tell? Let's see if there's actually a spike in covid next week after these mass protests.

These protesters are asymptomatic for all intents and purposes. I don't think anyone is going to protest with a fever.

So let's see what happens.

I'm guessing nothing will happen. I'm with the op on this one. Yes, it may be wishful thinking. But it also makes logical sense and that's what's been missing since March.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:31 pm
Soooo funny....not.

If someone says no to the first WHO statement as in I do not believe or trust the WHO then why would you then believe the second !?!

Oh right....most of it is politically agenda driven now.

B"H we have (unfortunately) test cases where we can see what happened, what did and did not work.

And we have thousands of guinea pigs I mean protesters who are crowding together albeit for a just cause so we will see what happens a few weeks from now.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:43 pm
Sorry, I'm not opening the link in the op. But there are two things: asymptomatic and presymptomatic.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 6:45 pm
right right yes of course

B"H the protesters are all crowded together and asymptomatic!
They must be because some dem politicians and some health workers are running over....

please lets not cherry pick our facts depending upon which narrative we want to push

our lives may depend upon it

ultimately all up to Hashem B"H

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:21 pm
Quote:
Nobody has been saying that there definitely is asymptomatic spread, that children definitely do spread the virus, that specific regions definitely don't have herd immunity, that people who remember having a scratchy throat in February definitely didn't really have coronavirus (or if they did, definitely don't have antibodies now), that people who test negative and then test positive again are definitely contagious... etc. People have been saying that we don't know and so maybe we should wait until we do know rather than assuming our most optimistic guesses are definitely true.

There were posters who claimed that the asymptomatic ones were the main spreaders.

I didn't say then that for sure not, and I'm not saying now 'see I told you' because we don't know for sure anything.
I just did not believe it, and I still don't believe it (even though they retracted)

Quote:
If someone says no to the first WHO statement as in I do not believe or trust the WHO then why would you then believe the second !?!

And if someone says yes to the first statement, why would they not believe the second?

I believe what I think makes sense, I don't care who (no pun) says it.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I believe what I think makes sense, I don't care who (no pun) says it.

I believe the earth looks like

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 8:06 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
You know how we can tell? Let's see if there's actually a spike in covid next week after these mass protests.

These protesters are asymptomatic for all intents and purposes. I don't think anyone is going to protest with a fever.

So let's see what happens.

I'm guessing nothing will happen. I'm with the op on this one. Yes, it may be wishful thinking. But it also makes logical sense and that's what's been missing since March.

People keep posting this sentiment and it really irks me.

If there's no spike after the protests all it tells us that the first wave of this virus is hopefully over. Or that it doesn't circulate much in the heat.

It doesn't tell us that you were right about anything. It's probably the same people who had all their excuses why Italy etc. was hit but it will never happen the same in the US. Well US exceeded Italy and you're all conveniently forgetting that, trying to make as if you were right all along that this virus wasn't worth taking heed of.

chicco

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 9:05 pm
happyone wrote:

They have already retracted it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics