Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is my husband the only one not going to minyan??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:27 pm
There are so many mitzvos that are obligatory prior to minyan! Whatever your dh does, he should be firm with his decision and so should you. I know, easier said than done! B hatzlocha

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Nonsense!!!

Why would you say that??

This was said by a Lakewood rav who has published Seforim.

I did not say it’s wrong. I said ask. Because your rav May or may not agree with the one I heard yesterday.

It’s definitely not a decision to be made privately.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:35 pm
my husband is a doc and thinks others wont want him at minyan which is out door with twenty people

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:41 pm
My DH isn't going either. I know of one minyan that is keeping guidelines fully, with the Rav watching the people the whole time - a massive shul with big windows and limited amount of people all 6 feet away wearing masks.

DH would totally go to that one - if it wasn't in a far neighborhood.

Young and no health issues - but were being very careful still.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:43 pm
We live in Israel. DH is in upper 40s and prediabetic. he did participate in porch and park minyanim but will not go inside now. He's not the only one and we have heard first hand from people who went to our shul that many are not following the rules, so DH doesn't want to take chances.
The numbers are going up here.
We still order groceries online and we only do outdoor activities.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Why would you say that??

This was said by a Lakewood rav who has published Seforim.

I did not say it’s wrong. I said ask. Because your rav May or may not agree with the one I heard yesterday.

It’s definitely not a decision to be made privately.

"The shechina is only in the shul"!!
"He asked a doctor it's not dangerous anymore"!

Sorry , it's a big big nonsense!!!
(I don't care how many books he wrote)

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:05 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
"The shechina is only in the shul"!!
"He asked a doctor it's not dangerous anymore"!

Sorry , it's a big big nonsense!!!
(I don't care how many books he wrote)

The doctor didn’t say it’s not dangerous anymore. He said it’s ok to be in shul.
For the record this specific shul has 3 doctors and one paramedic who daven there. They’ve been coming for the last few weeks...

etky

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We live in Israel. DH is in upper 40s and prediabetic. he did participate in porch and park minyanim but will not go inside now. He's not the only one and we have heard first hand from people who went to our shul that many are not following the rules, so DH doesn't want to take chances.
The numbers are going up here.
We still order groceries online and we only do outdoor activities.

DH - upper 50's and asthmatic has not gone back either.
He feels (and I agree) that even with all the good intentions, there is no way to be sure that 50 people (that is the number currently allowed) are actually wearing their masks properly and at all times during the entire service.
There is just too much risk involved.
Our street minyan folded unfortunately when shuls reopened. I have since found a different street minyan that I feel comfortable attending on Shabbat but DH was put off by the fact that most of the men there do not wear masks. As a woman, I stand very far away and no one comes up to me so it doesn't bother me.
We are also still ordering groceries online although we will pop into the macolet for a couple of minutes if we really need something urgently that can't wait.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:31 pm
For me the question has always been: where else (if anywhere, of course) is he going?

If he’s going to the supermarket, to Target, to see friends or family (socially distanced or Course) to the park, to work: then certainly be Should also go to shul

But if he (you) truly don’t leave the house (which from day 1 I’ve never understood and can’t imagine except for the most high risk Among us) If you truly go nowhere and see no one then no he shouldn’t go to shul

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:38 pm
To answer your question although many responses were that there husbands don't go. I am stating a FACT not going to shul is 1% at this point 99% of men are going. I am not saying he should or shouldn't. I am not talking about oot, I have no clue what they are doing.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:40 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
To answer your question although many responses were that there husbands don't go. I am stating a FACT not going to shul is 1% at this point 99% of men are going. I am not saying he should or shouldn't. I am not talking about oot, I have no clue what they are doing.

This is your estimate. (Not a fact.)

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:45 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
This is your estimate. (Not a fact.)

Yes I may be off by 2 or 3% not necessarily.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
For me the question has always been: where else (if anywhere, of course) is he going?

If he’s going to the supermarket, to Target, to see friends or family (socially distanced or Course) to the park, to work: then certainly be Should also go to shul

But if he (you) truly don’t leave the house (which from day 1 I’ve never understood and can’t imagine except for the most high risk Among us) If you truly go nowhere and see no one then no he shouldn’t go to shul

It's different. If DH sees a store is crowded and people aren't wearing masks, and he can't stay 6 ft away he won't go in. If it gets crowded - we will leave. When you are davening you are looking into a siddur - you aren't exactly focusing. It would be frustrating to go in and out all the time.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:59 pm

You are clearly an authority. Where do you live that you are so well versed in what everyone is doing?
Are you in a community that has had underground school?
Your neighborhood is not a microcosm of the world.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:10 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
It's different. If DH sees a store is crowded and people aren't wearing masks, and he can't stay 6 ft away he won't go in. If it gets crowded - we will leave. When you are davening you are looking into a siddur - you aren't exactly focusing. It would be frustrating to go in and out all the time.

I hear you. The minyanim that my husband and dad go to are extremely strict with rules.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You are clearly an authority. Where do you live that you are so well versed in what everyone is doing?
Are you in a community that has had underground school?
Your neighborhood is not a microcosm of the world.

OK, The OP asked is her husband the only one not going. I answered 99% are going. That means 1% are going. Can you please tell me in which city you think I am wrong. Flatbush, Bor Park, Monsey, Teenack, Passaic 5 Towns. I have siblings in all these places and they told me that I am basically on target. Please enlighten me, which city are you so well versed in that you think there are more then 1% not going.
Fyi I live in Flatbush every shul is open since shvoues.
I don't think the op should feel guilty. My father in law is 70 has not left his house for 3 months to each there own. He is from the 1% yes.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:34 pm
OK, The OP asked is her husband the only one not going. I answered 99% are going. That means 1% are going. Can you please tell me in which city you think I am wrong. Flatbush, Bor Park, Monsey, Teenack, Passaic 5 Towns. I have siblings in all these places and they told me that I am basically on target. Please enlighten me, which city are you so well versed in that you think there are more then 1% not going.
Fyi I live in Flatbush every shul is open since shvoues.
I don't think the op should feel guilty. My father in law is 70 has not left his house for 3 months to each there own. He is from the 1% yes.

Shuls in my neighborhood are limited to 10 men. Depends on the shul but large ones probably get 100 men on a pre covid Shabbos. So 90% may not make the cut. My husband ‘got in’ to a shtiebel minyan that he doesn’t normally go to. But there are definitely lots of men who still aren’t going

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:46 pm
My husband is early fifties, a doctor and has Crohn’s disease
He is not going to Shul, people are extremely nonchalant about distancing

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:57 pm

First of all, I don’t live in NY.

Second of all, if it’s really true that 99% of all people are going to shul, I am astonished. There is no way that 99% of frum people aren’t high risk and/or don’t have family members who are high risk.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 4:59 pm
I am just curious if the ppl who arent going to minyan arent going anywhere else either? Not to work, not to stores etc? Are you fully keeping social distancing in all other aspects aside from minyan?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics