Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
What features/recipes would you like in a new cookbook?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:38 am
I'd really like to publish a cookbook, and am working on recipes.

What features/formats do you like?

What categories do you want it to have?

What do you look for when buying a new cookbook?

Your input please!!

rikismom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:53 am
Easy supper menu's without any weird ingredients.Just plain good stuff with a variety.
Good Luck LOL

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:55 am
Less margarine and shortening. I hate the hydrogenated fats in much of kosher cooking.

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:56 am
rikismom wrote:
Easy supper menu's without any weird ingredients.Just plain good stuff with a variety.
Good Luck LOL
I second that. "Have at home" ingredients and fuss free, healthy recipes.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:57 am
Rachael Ray has a cookbook like that, it's really great. I also like how she'll start off with one recipe, and give options for swapping different ingredients to make different variations.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:59 am
I have a cookbook called Superfoods for Babies and Children. On the sides of the pages it has little bits of nutritional information about the ingredients. Like if the recipe has tomatoes in it, it says things about tomatoes. I love reading about all the good things I'm cooking with. Also I second the amother above me. It seems that all the new cookbooks are about "gourmet" and fancy cooking but not really for the health conscience cook. I'm sure there are plenty of gourmet cooks out there in the real world that don't use non dairy creamer in every other recipe!!!

lamplighter

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 11:01 am
I like beautiful cookbooks. I get a lot of ideas from the pictures and the variations. If every recipe isnt chockful of flour, sugar, whip, pastry - that would be a major plus.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 11:27 am
OP here

Thanks for all your responses.

I was thinking of a very down to earth style (no fancy gourmet, although I love recipes that are super easy and make it look like you patchked around for hours), easy, on hand ingredients. I would focus on healthy, but not rule out margerine completely.

I would like to include lots of quick recipes that don't rely on 15 packaged or canned food in one recipe. Maybe I'll put an icon near the quick ones.

And of course, gorgeous photos.

Am I missing anything?

Purplehair

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 11:35 am
Recipes with as little cleaning up afterwards as necessary (I.e. one bowl and/or pot)

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 1:07 pm
I had an idea for a cookbook once, and since I'm not likely to write it, go ahead and let me know if you like the ideas. They are actually not just my ideas but something I've seen in other books and I'm combining them together.

If I could I would have the recipe on the left. A small box underneath that told something about the recipe, where it was from originally, an interesting factoid about an ingredient or historical data about how something was first used, or some person or event connected with the recipe or an item in the recipe.

THEN on the right, I would have a go with list. Other items that would help make a complete menu.

So it would be divided into thirds, a large section taking up most of the left hand space. A smaller right hand section and a thin section underneath.

Anyway, that's my idea.

WaitingtoDeliver

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 1:30 pm
I second all the above posters. But without the following, many of my friends would not buy the book, PICTURES WITH EVERY RECIPE.

I enjoy cookbooks for the eye-candy appeal as well as the great ideas, and hate when there are 5 pictures in the $35 book.

anuta

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 1:33 pm
I love cooking and cookbooks..

My criteria for a great cookbook are:

1. Pictures. I prefer less recipes in a book, but with pictures, than many recipes packed on a single page...

2. Speaking of layout, one recipe per page. Tips and background for each recipe is nice too..

3. No prepared mixes/powders/canned broth. This is my pet peeve. Of course if you base your soup on canned chicken broth, you can put anything in there and it will taste good, I don't need your recipe, I can do it myself. There are lots of vegetarian soup recipes that are based on ...gasp... water! I grew up eating those and this is what I want to see.

Onion soup mix... NO NO NO. Creamed something soup can - NO!
You get the idea...

4. Simple and tasty is good. Staple ingredients is good too.

5. Use of different types of grains, not only rice and barley...

6. Margarine-free parve desserts. Some egg-free too (not a health issue, but an allergy issue for my family)>

anuta

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 1:35 pm
OP, where are you getting your recipes? And are you publishing it in a regular publishing house (I.e. we'll be able to buy it in a store), or as a community cookbook?

anon

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 2:29 pm
1. Pictures with each recipe

2. Healthy, or relatively healthy.

Mommish

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:06 pm
Hinda Rochel, I love the idea of "goes with." I can never figure out what to serve on the side. I like ideas for a complete meal. Ideas for a large crowd are also good. I also like when the cooking techniques are explained.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:40 pm
I also like when the cooking techniques are explained.[/quote]

lol, same here. I feel like I know the world of cooking, and love to learn new things, but when a recipe called to temper something, I almost lost my cool! Bh I figured it out on my own!

I love cookbooks too.

like many of u said, PICTURES are very important. but not just any pics. classy, clear, pretty photos. I have a cookbook that has great recipes, but the pics are sooo unproffessional, they make me loose my appetite. (there is even spilled soup on the rim of a soup plate!! and its a proffessional cookbook, no less!!)

clear, concise recipes. nothing too complicated.
good, simple,homey food
no outlandish ingredients.

myfriends715

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 7:49 pm
how about on the side adding in a variation of what you can do w/ the leftovers of that recipe for the next night (2 suppers in 1)

queen

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 8:27 pm
pictures in my opinion as well can make or break the cookbook and push sales----

however from someone who deals with production (producing) books, the photography (when done professionally, which is what I'd suggest) can be very pricey.

Looking at the Kosher by Design series- those images were taken professionally and by an excellent photographer and food stylist. That is not cheap.

mommalah

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 12:30 am
It would be nice if there's be recipes using whole wheat flour, oil instead of margarine, not "take a pkg of whip, mix it with powdered pudding, along with strawberries in syrup" etc... Recipes with real, raw ingredients would be nice.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 8:42 am
OP here

Thank you all.

I'm nowhere near the publishing stage. I'm just working on developing recipes and want to know what to focus on.

I was also thinking of including photos of some of the more complicated steps and how to do them, not just the finished product.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics