Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o vegetarians and pets and other related thoughts
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:02 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Because chicken soup has chicken in it.

I won't answer for OP. Ask her.

Yes, but you don't have to eat the chicken.
Why do you consider juice from the chicken like the chicken itself?
And veggies cooked it the juice as if they were meat?

I suspect that is a jewish twist to vegetarianism... That because you know the concept of kosher and fleishig, suddenly you will not eat fleishig... but other vegetarians will not have the idea of refusing that...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:14 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Yes, but you don't have to eat the chicken.
Why do you consider juice from the chicken like the chicken itself?
And veggies cooked it the juice as if they were meat?

I suspect that is a jewish twist to vegetarianism... That because you know the concept of kosher and fleishig, suddenly you will not eat fleishig... but other vegetarians will not have the idea of refusing that...

Nah - you're just wrong.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Nah - you're just wrong.

So what's the problem with the veggies boiled in some sort of chicken juice or sauce or soup? Or with the salad that touched the chicken?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:40 am
Ora in town wrote:
So what's the problem with the veggies boiled in some sort of chicken juice or sauce or soup? Or with the salad that touched the chicken?

"chicken juice" is chicken.

chicken shreds.

also - if you don't eat something - finding it on your dinner plate is just unpleasant.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:44 am

chicken shreds.

also - if you don't eat something - finding it on your dinner plate is just unpleasant.

This. And it's not a Jewish thing. I know plenty of non Jewish vegetarians, non of them will eat chicken broth or anything that was cooked or baked with meat in the same pot.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:46 am

chicken shreds.

But here again.
if it's your choice to consider the salad that touched the chicken like chicken, it's not for me to twist myself... your choice - your onus...

In practical life I am accomodating to vegetarians, not so much to vegans...

But I understand that it might be complicated, so I think OP should not condemn her sister-in-law, and not be mad at her.

Many vegetarians and vegans have a kind of double-language... on the one hand they want to think that they are not complicated at all, on the other hand they are angry, like OP, when they can't find anything to eat that fits their peculiar standards...
they do not take full responsability for the practical consquences of their philosophy...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:48 am
Mayflower wrote:
This. And it's not a Jewish thing. I know plenty of non Jewish vegetarians, non of them will eat chicken broth or anything that was cooked or baked with meat in the same pot.

That's a new fluke...
Vegetarians in the 80ies were fine with that...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:50 am
But here again.
if it's your choice to consider the salad that touched the chicken like chicken, it's not for me to twist myself... your choice - your onus...

In practical life I am accomodating to vegetarians, not so much to vegans...

But I understand that it might be complicated, so I think OP should not condemn her sister-in-law, and not be mad at her.

Many vegetarians and vegans have a kind of double-language... on the one hand they want to think that they are not complicated at all, on the other hand they are angry, like OP, when they can't find anything to eat that fits their peculiar standards...
they do not take full responsability for the practical consquences of their philosophy...

My post was not about you.

You clearly have a beef with vegetarians.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:54 am
Mayflower wrote:
You can't understand philosophically that one has a different standard for humans than for animals?

If you buy meat for your dog, you buy meat, animals will be slaughtered for your consumption. It doesn't matter whether in the end your dog eats it or yourself.

So many vegans or vegetarians really have more animals slaughtered for them and their pets, then I who eat meat once a week...

And that's the point where they lose their credibility in my eyes.

Once they lost their credibility, I will not twist into a pretzel to accomodate them...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:56 am
My post was not about you.

No, I don't have a beef.
I just think they are responsable for bearing the onus of their philosophy. And it is morally unjustified to demand the world around them should accomodate them...

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:59 am

Nice pun! Very Happy

I've usually enjoyed my veggie guests because they're usually nice people irrespective of their eating habits. Except one guy (vegan) who was very militant in his veganism and used my shabbos table as a podium to condemn all meat and animal product eaters. I was like "wow... so interesting....' *takes a bite of chicken*

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:59 am
If you buy meat for your dog, you buy meat, animals will be slaughtered for your consumption. It doesn't matter whether in the end your dog eats it or yourself.

So many vegans or vegetarians really have more animals slaughtered for them and their pets, then I who eat meat once a week...

Once they lost their credibility, I will not twist into a pretzel to accomodate them...

credibility as what?

Guest says - I don't eat the following.... you can either accommodate or not.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:00 am
No, I don't have a beef.
I just think they are responsable for bearing the onus of their philosophy. And it is morally unjustified to demand the world around them should accomodate them...

The bolded doesn't mean anything.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:04 am

This is truly one of the weirdest hot takes I’ve ever seen on imamother.

I’m a vegetarian who has pets. They need meat in order to survive. Without it they will get very sick and die. I won’t- I have a choice about what to put in my body based on my beliefs. Also my pets would exist and consume the same amount of meat regardless of whether they were owned by me or someone else. My owning them and buying them meat doesn’t increase the amount of meat being bought in the world, but my choosing not to eat it myself does decrease it.
Also my pets eat a lot of things that I personally find disgusting. Should I be okay with a host wanting me to eat non kosher because I buy non kosher for my pets?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:05 am
The bolded doesn't mean anything.

Yes it means, practically, for this kind of vegetarian.
if you miss out because you don't want to eat meat or what was cooked with meat or what touched meat - too bad for you.
Don't complain that vile host put chicken in the salad or served chicken soup or cooked veggies with chicken.
Eat before you come.
Eat after you get home.
But it's your problem if challa and desert are the only things up to your philosophical needs...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:08 am
Yes it means, practically, for this kind of vegetarian.
if you miss out because you don't want to eat meat or what was cooked with meat or what touched meat - too bad for you.
Don't complain that vile host put chicken in the salad or served chicken soup or cooked veggies with chicken.
Eat before you come.
Eat after you get home.
But it's your problem if challa and desert are the only things up to your philosophical needs...

If you can't accommodate a guests needs - don't invite them over.

If the guest is your brother and SIL - you figure it out.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:10 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
This is truly one of the weirdest hot takes I’ve ever seen on imamother.

I’m a vegetarian who has pets. They need meat in order to survive. Without it they will get very sick and die. I won’t- I have a choice about what to put in my body based on my beliefs. Also my pets would exist and consume the same amount of meat regardless of whether they were owned by me or someone else. My owning them and buying them meat doesn’t increase the amount of meat being bought in the world, but my choosing not to eat it myself does decrease it.
Also my pets eat a lot of things that I personally find disgusting. Should I be okay with a host wanting me to eat non kosher because I buy non kosher for my pets?

I don't think that you can draw this conclusion.
There is a marked for pets, pets are produced for the market, if no-one wants to own pets, less pets would be around, less animals would be slaughtered to produce dog food or cat food...

I mean at this point, anyway, we would have to discuss the basis of your philosophy.

Whether it is about animals being slaughtered...

Because you eating the veggies from the chicken soup or not will not have an impact on the number of chickens being slaughtered...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:13 am
Ora in town wrote:
I don't think that you can draw this conclusion.
There is a marked for pets, pets are produced for the market, if no-one wants to own pets, less pets would be around, less animals would be slaughtered to produce dog food or cat food...

I mean at this point, anyway, we would have to discuss the basis of your philosophy.

Whether it is about animals being slaughtered...

Because you eating the veggies from the chicken soup or not will not have an impact on the number of chickens being slaughtered...

You don't have to do that.

You don't have to decide if you agree with someone's take on animals to determine whether you want to accommodate them.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:14 am
If you can't accommodate a guests needs - don't invite them over.

If the guest is your brother and SIL - you figure it out.

That's the point on which I disagree.

That's why I said: the onus of your philosophy is on you, not on me.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:18 am
You don't have to do that.

You don't have to decide if you agree with someone's take on animals to determine whether you want to accommodate them.

It's a bit like a guest who would tell you that they eat no sugar whatsoever because they are on a diet.
You leave the sugar out of the applesauce or fruit salad (for everyone) to accomodate them.
And then you see them go out and eat icecream. With sugar.

In such a moment, you feel stupid.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette