Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What level of protection in the re-opened environment?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:58 pm
I am in the high-risk group. I have been limiting my activities to outdoor exercise twice a day. Laundry is sent out, groceries and medicines are delivered in. No public transport, not even taxis. No cleaner, nobody in the apartment except for emergency repairs.
I'm wondering what, if anything, can change in the current environment. Can't get a straight answer out of the doctor so far.
Wondering what other high-risk Imas are thinking/doing.
TIA

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:14 pm
Don’t know your situation and location, but in our case we were advised on certain restrictions based on local epidemiology and to be very careful because of how many cases there were still in our area.

Personally, I would not rely on protection when going outside and take as much precaution possibly.

ETA in our situation I would allow a repair man to come if needed- and ask for him to wear a mask and sanitize the area after.

We’ve taken cabs to appointments and the all had a division bet front/back and in most cases drivers were wearing a mask. I didn’t make myself meshuga to Clorox wipe seat or Lysol spray, but I was careful not to touch seat & use purell if I did & changed my clothing when I got home.

Last edited by Sunny Days on Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:16 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Don’t know your situation and location,

New York City

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
New York City

I hope you can get through to your doctor, because they can best advise you on your situation.

I edited my response above btw and I would NOT take public transportation in NYC.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:26 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I hope you can get through to your doctor

Only got a message from his Nurse-Practitioner "We just have to be vigilant about social distancing and wearing masks at this time. Handwashing and cleaning shared surfaces."

Not very specific! Sad

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Only got a message from his Nurse-Practitioner "We just have to be vigilant about social distancing and wearing masks at this time. Handwashing and cleaning shared surfaces."

Not very specific! Sad

Ugh, that’s annoying Sad so generic...

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:33 pm
I would say not to go to shul or anywhere else where people are congregating without masks. Don't eat out. If you want to shop, go at 7 a.m. or find out if they have a special hour for the elderly and high risk. If you want to see friends, arrange something outside.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am in the high-risk group. I have been limiting my activities to outdoor exercise twice a day. Laundry is sent out, groceries and medicines are delivered in. No public transport, not even taxis. No cleaner, nobody in the apartment except for emergency repairs.
I'm wondering what, if anything, can change in the current environment. Can't get a straight answer out of the doctor so far.
Wondering what other high-risk Imas are thinking/doing.
TIA

I'm also in a high risk group and have done exactly what you have done since March.

In terms of what I plan to do in the future, it is to basically do the same thing. Any activity I do is a balancing in terms of its importance since everything is risk except being outside. I would socialize with friends and family outside but keep six feet distance and not share anything.

I am not venturing out except in an emergency. I haven't had my cleaning woman since March either because there is no way I would feel comfortable having her in my home for an extended period of time. If I lived in a house where I could open all the windows and stay outside while she cleaned, I might feel differently Smile My friend suggested I use her cleaning lady who has her own car and is very careful - well last week the cleaning woman's husband got Covid19 so I am thankful I didn't take her up on the offer.

I don't think a doctor can really give advice because all they can say is that that certain activities are higher risk than others - e.g. being outside carries almost no risk - being in an enclosed area is a higher risk. I have read that some experts believe that viral load is important so that the longer you are in a place where the virus is circulating - e.g. enclosed room, the more of the virus you are coming in contact with and therefore it would be harder for your immune system to fight off the large dose as opposed to small does - but who knows.

All one an do is weigh the reason for needing to be risk exposure and how important that is.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
the cleaning woman's husband got Covid19 so I am thankful I didn't take her up on the offer.

B'H that you didn't have her in. Refuah shleimah to her husband and her family.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

I am not venturing out except in an emergency.

Wondering if you've considered dental cleaning. My 6-month prophy is mid-July and DDS says all protections would be in place. But I'm not happy about it and I would also have to ask someone for a lift over.
What's your feeling? TIA.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not very specific! Sad

Because they don’t know! Everyone is making their best guesses!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:59 am
My mothers baby steps was to go shopping right when the store opens and is empty. She wears a mask and gloves. This is her only trip out of the week
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics