Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need suggestions where to move
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:47 am
I second Houston. Sounds EXACTLY what you're looking for.
The housing prices though have gone up significantly, so definitely do your research

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:01 pm
mpf wrote:
I didn't get any message

Idk, can you try messaging me?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 1:49 pm
The young couples I know in Hollywood Florida are married more like 5-8 years and very very modern Orthodox. There is (before corona) a new Young couples minyan in YI of Hollywood and not one woman there covered her hair outside of shul.
I'd suggest NMB

raich

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:17 pm
North Miami Beach, too

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:56 pm
raich wrote:
North Miami Beach, too

Is it affordable? Do you live there?
Are there young couples?

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Messaged you

I replied. Doesn’t seem like my message is going through

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:46 pm
I think Northeast Philadelphia would really work for you. The greatest thing about it is how chilled it is, compared to NY and Lakewood. There is a large mix of people from all over the spectrum. Many young families. A few school options. And tons of hospitals, if that's where you work. Salaries are big-city while the community has the warm out-of-town feel. Housing is the cheapest you'll find in a frum community on the East coast, plus there are tuition vouchers. There is no keeping up with the Joneses here. It's an affordable and friendly place to live.
We're just over an hour away from you, you can pop in to visit for a day or a Shabbos. Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions ☺️
Your specifications are pretty broad and you got a lot of recommendations - you should definitely check out the OU Community Fair if you're still looking next time it comes around. Here are some resources:
https://www.biozshul.org/move-.....=true
www.jcor.org
https://www.ou.org/fair/

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:34 pm
TeachersNotebook wrote:
I think Northeast Philadelphia would really work for you. The greatest thing about it is how chilled it is, compared to NY and Lakewood. There is a large mix of people from all over the spectrum. Many young families. A few school options. And tons of hospitals, if that's where you work. Salaries are big-city while the community has the warm out-of-town feel. Housing is the cheapest you'll find in a frum community on the East coast, plus there are tuition vouchers. There is no keeping up with the Joneses here. It's an affordable and friendly place to live.
We're just over an hour away from you, you can pop in to visit for a day or a Shabbos. Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions ☺️
Your specifications are pretty broad and you got a lot of recommendations - you should definitely check out the OU Community Fair if you're still looking next time it comes around. Here are some resources:
www.jcor.org

My husband actually spoke to a Rabbi from there today. It sounds like it may be a great option. Though it’s a bit confusing to come check it out now.

How Long ago did you move there?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 8:38 pm
What about airmont?

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
What about airmont?

Where’s that? Do you live there? Please tell me more about it

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 9:53 pm
KayF wrote:
My husband actually spoke to a Rabbi from there today. It sounds like it may be a great option. Though it’s a bit confusing to come check it out now.

How Long ago did you move there?

I hear you. It's not simple to find people to stay by these days, and the shuls aren't doing much extra socializing these days. 😬 I wonder if we can arrange a bunch of front yard visits for you with different people in the community? Heads of schools or whoever else you might want to meet?

We moved 3 years ago. We've been really happy here, bH.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
My husband is from Lakewood/Florida and I’m from Brooklyn. We lived in Boro park till I finished college and recently moved to Lakewood cuz it was easy and cheap. We are very open minded and more out of town Ish/chilled. We feel like people are judging us that we aren’t “normal” like most people around here. For example I barely get dressed up and I don’t wear a wig besides to work or a Simcha. We want a place that people are just accepting of everyone, where everyone is just friends with one another no matter what religious level they are on. We Want a place where we wouldn’t feel the need to prove anything to anyone. We saw a few communities but when we explained what we are looking for and where we come from they responded that they aren’t at all like Lakewood as if they had something against it and were trying to prove to us that they are “different”. We aren’t against any type of people or any religious level we just want to live in a place where people are themselves/no peer pressure. We are very young, married a year and a half about to have our first child. I’m a sonographer and my husband is a very hard worker with experience in many areas.

Looking for someplace cheap and affordable, preferably in warmer climate.

Does this exist or are we dreaming?

Baltimore! Everything you describe is Baltimore!

thatworn

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:21 pm
TeachersNotebook wrote:
www.jcor.org

What schools are there in this community? Boys, girls elementary age and girls' high schools? Any Chabad schools? Any Bais Yaakov? I looked it up and only say day school type options but I am not sure exactly what I am looking for. Is the whole community living pretty much within walking distance of each other? Are there playgrounds that people can walk to?

thatworn

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:23 pm
KayF wrote:
Where’s that? Do you live there? Please tell me more about it

Airmont is a suburb of the area referred to as "Monsey", which is actually a bunch of villages that merged to make one very large, rapidly expanding community.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:23 pm
Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby, I
Oh, somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
Clouds high over the rainbow, makes all your dreams come true, ooh
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top
That's where you'll find me, oh
Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Oh why, oh why can't I? I
I see trees of green and red roses too
I'll watch then bloom just for me and you
And I think to myself
Oh, what a wonderful world

Donuts

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:26 pm
thatworn wrote:
Airmont is a suburb of the area referred to as "Monsey", which is actually a bunch of villages that merged to make one very large, rapidly expanding community.

We are looking for out of Ny and NJ

mra01385

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 11:32 pm
How much is housing in north east philadelphia and what type of school is the boys elementary school? Is there a boys hs there too?

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 2:44 am
thatworn wrote:
What schools are there in this community? Boys, girls elementary age and girls' high schools? Any Chabad schools? Any Bais Yaakov? I looked it up and only say day school type options but I am not sure exactly what I am looking for. Is the whole community living pretty much within walking distance of each other? Are there playgrounds that people can walk to?

Elementary schools:
Politz Hebrew Academy - community school that follows das Torah (under Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky), separate boys and girls from 1st grade, located very close by, what I would consider out of town bais yaakov, Torah umesorah affiliate;
Caskey Torah Academy - located in the Mainline, another Jewish community 30-40 minutes away, separate boys and girls in 4th grade, Torah umesorah affiliate;
Politz of Cherry Hill - also 30 minutes away, modern Orthodox, separate boys and girls in 3rd grade;
Abrams Hebrew Academy - located in Yardley, 30 minutes away, coed diverse student body
The Lab School - also located on the Mainline, non-traditional education methods, such as mixed age classes and child-led learning etc, I believe they are coed until 5th? But they currently only go to 4th grade? Not sure of the details, they are on the newer side.
TIDE Academy - (Torah im derech eretz), new school in the northeast, an Acton academy, I think it goes until 2nd grade right now.
The chabad elementary is in Overbrook Park, around 30 minutes away. I don't know anything about it.

Girls High Schools:
Kohelet Yeshiva HS - modern Orthodox, separate gender for most classes. I'm not in the parsha, so I don't know much about the high schools yet. I just know that Kohelet is always bringing in top internationally renowned speakers for the community.
Kosloff Torah Academy for Girls - Torah umesorah affiliate, all girls.
None of the high schools are in the Northeast proper.

The whole community of Rhawnhurst is within walking distance. That's the neighborhood I live in within the Northeast. I'd estimate it's probably a 40-45 minute walk from one extreme end to another, but I don't usually have to walk more than 25 minutes to get somewhere on Shabbos.

There is one playground within walking distance. To be honest, it's not the best one around here, though we still go often. We also often drive to bigger ones 5 minutes away by car during the week. The cool thing we have is access to Pennypack park within the neighborhood. It's huge and full of trails, a stream, picnic areas... It's beautiful.

Hope that helped!

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 3:00 am
mra01385 wrote:
How much is housing in north east philadelphia and what type of school is the boys elementary school? Is there a boys hs there too?

Housing is generally in the 200 thousands. I've seen some for low 300s. Property tax is also lower than NY and NJ. Keep in mind the vast majority of houses in the neighborhood is 3 bedroom, some 4.

I spoke about elementary schools in the post above. There are also a lot of boys high school options, but I'm not in the parsha, so I don't know specifics.

The Mesivta: An affiliate of Torah Umesorah. An all-boys yeshiva high school.
• Foxman Torah Institute of Cherry Hill: An affiliate of Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim in Queens, NY. An all-boys yeshiva high school.
• The Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia: A mesivta and bais medrash for boys, under Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky.
• Yesodai Hatorah: Yeshiva high school for boys. A satellite of Mesivta Yesodei Yeshurun in Queens, New York.
And Kohelet, which I spoke about in my previous post, applies here as well.

None of these schools are in the Northeast proper.

I hope that helps!

smileyface:)

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 9:35 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Housing is generally in the 200 thousands. I've seen some for low 300s. Property tax is also lower than NY and NJ. Keep in mind the vast majority of houses in the neighborhood is 3 bedroom, some 4.

I spoke about elementary schools in the post above. There are also a lot of boys high school options, but I'm not in the parsha, so I don't know specifics.

The Mesivta: An affiliate of Torah Umesorah. An all-boys yeshiva high school.
• Foxman Torah Institute of Cherry Hill: An affiliate of Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim in Queens, NY. An all-boys yeshiva high school.
• The Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia: A mesivta and bais medrash for boys, under Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky.
• Yesodai Hatorah: Yeshiva high school for boys. A satellite of Mesivta Yesodei Yeshurun in Queens, New York.
And Kohelet, which I spoke about in my previous post, applies here as well.

None of these schools are in the Northeast proper.

I hope that helps!

You write so clearly!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating