Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is the school responsible to pay for therapy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:18 pm
DD's school made some changes and messed up her position "by mistake" as per the school's claim. She struggled this school year as a result and now needs therapy to build her back up. It is costing us $300 per week. We feel the school should help us pay. Is it a reasonable thing to ask?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:19 pm
What does “her position” mean? I’m so confused.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:34 pm
It’s very unclear what you are talking about. Schools do not typically pay for therapy for students or even teachers when they go through trauma or bullying.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:35 pm
Does the school agree that they made a mistake that can only be corrected by paying a therapist $300 per week?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:53 pm
Find a therapist that takes insurance.

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:16 pm
Unless someone is a millionaire (and in that case, you wouldn't feel the necessity for the school to pay for therapy) you should not be paying $300 a week for therapy. That is a ripoff scam. Most therapists even without insurance don't charge that much and as someone mentioned find someone that takes insurance. Many do. There are very fine therapists that take insurance. Furthermore I have found the non-insurance taking therapists to be no better or more effective than the insurance taking therapists. Unfortunately, I've had experience with both. I've never heard of a school paying for therapy even if the school may have been the problem. Good luck with that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:28 pm
There were changes in the school and there was a serious fallout which affected dd negatively.(Sorry for being vague, I'm trying to be confidential) I'd be rich if I could cash in the amount of sorries we were recipients of. Unfortunately, sorry isn't a currency that pays for services. And unfortunately no competent insurance therapist locally. And the school referred us to this therapist and made the arrangements.

QueensMama

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:38 pm
No school is going to pay for therapy for your child. So unless you intend to sue, don't waste energy trying to go down that road.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There were changes in the school and there was a serious fallout which affected dd negatively.(Sorry for being vague, I'm trying to be confidential) I'd be rich if I could cash in the amount of sorries we were recipients of. Unfortunately, sorry isn't a currency that pays for services. And unfortunately no competent insurance therapist locally. And the school referred us to this therapist and made the arrangements.

So the school messed you guys over once and you're letting them do it again by trusting them arrange a therapist for DD? Can't Believe It

Of course they're going to arrange her to be set up with an expensive therapist... They're not paying, so what's it to them?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:35 pm
Frumme wrote:
So the school messed you guys over once and you're letting them do it again by trusting them arrange a therapist for DD? Can't Believe It

Of course they're going to arrange her to be set up with an expensive therapist... They're not paying, so what's it to them?

The school is not one single person...One department did the messup, another is trying to help us and we are trying to get them to pay...

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:36 pm
As someone said above, the only way is it you sue and win.
You will need to hire a lawyer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
As someone said above, the only way is it you sue and win.
You will need to hire a lawyer.

Do we stand a chance negotiating with the school or should we go straight the sueing route?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:42 pm
Can you ask a Rav if you are entitled to withhold this amount from your tuition, for damages?

I would definitely try speaking to them nicely before fighting them.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do we stand a chance negotiating with the school or should we go straight the sueing route?

Sueing is also quite expensive and might even cost you more than the therapy costs. Make sure you have a competent lawer. Many times places you sue will offer a settlement instead of being sued.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would consult with a lawyer in any event to see if you even have a chance of winning. You may not. Your post was very vague. Is it academic or a social issue? Not implementing an IEP?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:54 pm
Your school may be able to help you pay for therapy by tapping into different funding that they have. You should definitely ask them about that.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:03 pm
Also, what do you mean by negotiating? Do you mean, threaten to sue? Don't go that route unless you have already consulted with a lawyer and are fully prepared to do so.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Can you ask a Rav if you are entitled to withhold this amount from your tuition, for damages?

I would definitely try speaking to them nicely before fighting them.

We are considering this when push comes to shove.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I would consult with a lawyer in any event to see if you even have a chance of winning. You may not. Your post was very vague. Is it academic or a social issue? Not implementing an IEP?

Severe social impact.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:39 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Also, what do you mean by negotiating? Do you mean, threaten to sue? Don't go that route unless you have already consulted with a lawyer and are fully prepared to do so.

Negotiating as in lets say, we pay half, school other half.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics