Home

Is the school responsible to pay for therapy?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Jul 03 2020, 5:27 pm
Stars wrote:
Is this therapist licensed? Why do I have a strong feeling she isn't?
How are you even keeping your kid in the school that damaged her so much?

Because sometimes this is the right thing to do. And the therapist isn't from our community so I like that she isn't subjective about the school, us as parents, and dd. I just feel that the school is responsible to pay at least partially for a grand error on their part that hurt dd socially.
Back to top

amother




Brown
 

Post  Fri, Jul 03 2020, 5:36 pm
I just don't see what leverage you have to negotiate. Schools don't pay out for this kind of thing unless there's a lawsuit or some sort of threat to do so. Because, once they agree to pay out for one kid, there will be families lining up to request the same. Not to mention it can be seen as an admission of guilt or negligence and makes them vulnerable to lawsuits.
If you spoke to the principal today and he said he was going to present it to the board, sounds like he was just saying that to get you off his back.
Since you refer to a social thing, I assume it's something along the line of bullying. That is very hard to prove. In cases like that, if they go to court and parents win, they don't get money. They get a plan which ensures their child doesn't have any classes with the bully etc. The case that I know of that won, was pretty severe, with the bully making actual physical threats, which was corroborated and documented by teachers.
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post  Fri, Jul 03 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because sometimes this is the right thing to do. And the therapist isn't from our community so I like that she isn't subjective about the school, us as parents, and dd. I just feel that the school is responsible to pay at least partially for a grand error on their part that hurt dd socially.


I think you're being quite unrealistic. This isn't happening. You can withhold tuition but they won't waive the chov, and if she still has years left in school you can't expect them to allow her back.
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post  Fri, Jul 03 2020, 6:33 pm
It sounds kind of unrealistic.
Then again, it got me to thinking. I mean, theoretically, if the school, let's say, accused your child of stealing and then told everybody that she was nuts and not to be her friend, that's slander. Maybe they would be liable to pay.. not sure. follow up with the principal. I'm sorry you were hurt.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:08 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Since you refer to a social thing, I assume it's something along the line of bullying. That is very hard to prove. In cases like that, if they go to court and parents win, they don't get money. They get a plan which ensures their child doesn't have any classes with the bully etc. The case that I know of that won, was pretty severe, with the bully making actual physical threats, which was corroborated and documented by teachers.

No, it isn't bullying. But it is social damage caused directly by a negligent error the school admits too. Lets see where this takes us.
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post  Sat, Jul 04 2020, 4:54 pm
From your original post it sounded like real damage happened - social damage is very hard to quantify. There is absolutely know reason to be spending 300$ on a therapist for social issues - even of your dd became suicidal because of social damage there are fantastic therapists who could help her for less the 300$

I doubt the school is responsible for something like this - in general if you can't win a lawsuit/din torah then they aren't responsible, and unless you are leaving something out - doesn't sound like you can win a lawsuit/din torah.

Find a different professional who you can afford.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post  Sat, Jul 04 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We spoke to the principal, who was offensive at first, buy mellowed when he learned the entire story. He offered to present the situation to the school admin.

I can’t decode these cryptic clues. It is impossible to figure out what you are talking about.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Sat, Jul 04 2020, 10:47 pm
My daughter sustained severe physical injury in school. Another child pushed her, she fell down the steps- broke her collar bone and had Acl tears in both knees- one of which required immediate surgery- and she still has issues now despite years of therapy. We were very upset bec we had informed the school multiple times of issues with this particular child and they pushed it under the rug.
Anyway, we felt that our daughter should be compensated and our medical bills should be paid and the school had insurance so why not? Our Rav, however advised us not to sue unless we had plans to move out of town because he felt the fall out would be too great.
We went ahead anyway, spoke to lawyers and everyone felt we didn’t have a case anyway so we dropped it.
Back to top

amother




Burgundy
 

Post  Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:36 pm
I would never sue my childs school
ever
your daughter probably needed therapy before this social thing happened
I have plenty of kids in therapy .one is at a reading therapist the school recommended.
shes 150 an hour. should I sue the school for the 150 a wk?
so confused
doesnt seem like you have a case
you are going down the wrong path
deal with the issues with your daughter and dont take it out on the school
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, it isn't bullying. But it is social damage caused directly by a negligent error the school admits too. Lets see where this takes us.


What does “social damage” mean? and why does it require a $300/session therapist?
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 4:42 am
There was a girl in my grade who was definitely at least average intelligence, socially normal, and because of her birthday she was the youngest one on the grade.

One year her grades fell but she was still passing, and at the end of the year the school talked to her parents and said "she's so young, let's hold her back a year, it will be better for academically, socially, win-win", parents agreed. Long story short, it was way worse for her socially and she dropped out of school at 16.

It was the school's mistake, but the parents did agree. Just sad all over.

OP, is it something like this?
Back to top

Frenchfry




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 5:04 am
When you say "her position", do you mean like a student council job?
Back to top

amother




Burlywood
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 9:26 am
Maybe it was one of those stories where the school/a teacher falsely accused her of something and the students believed it. That would be the school's fault and cause major social damage.

Does dd want to stay in the school?

I don't think the school will pay, or that a lawsuit makes sense if you are staying. Any chance the school could/would hook up a donor/sponsor?
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Does anyone not feel comfortable with school starting?
by amother
52 Today at 10:08 am View last post
Play therapy monsey area
by amother
6 Yesterday at 8:56 pm View last post
School or School Program for Children with ADHD
by amother
2 Yesterday at 8:01 pm View last post
Girls school shoes 6 Yesterday at 2:21 pm View last post
After-school babysitting in brooklyn
by kermit
2 Yesterday at 10:47 am View last post

Jump to: