Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Today
1  2  3  Next

Are you fasting today?
Yes I am fasting  
 31%  [ 61 ]
No, I'm not fasting but I'm pregnant/nursing  
 30%  [ 60 ]
I am fasting and I'm pregnant/nursing  
 2%  [ 5 ]
I'm not fasting and I'm not pregnant/nursing  
 35%  [ 70 ]
Total Votes : 196

momlife

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:49 am
Are you fasting?

momlife

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:51 am
I am fasting today, just stopped nursing and haven't done this in a while.
I'm nervous about it and will go as long as I can.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:53 am
I am not fasting because of a different health issue.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:54 am
No, I only fast yk and 9 av as I get terrible migraines and get extreme dizziness.
When I fast, it takes days to get back to myself.
And I asked a rav about this a few years ago and was told this is fine.

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:56 am
Of course. I fast all obligatory fasts. We don't hold that healthy adult women with no extenuating conditions are exempt just for being female.

What's a non-obligatory fast? BaHaB, yahrzeit and any others prefaced by "some have the custom to fast on ______."

Brachie69

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:59 am
Yes and working. Feels like many around me have become more relaxed with it but don't understand why.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:00 am
I'm nursing full time and not fasting.

oakandfig19

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:03 am
Not fasting (not pregnant as far as I know) because it triggers a lot of anxiety for me since I’ve fainted in the last (not on a fast day but I know I have a tendency). And this one is super hard for me since it ends so late...

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:17 am

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:22 am
Similar story to shabbatiscoming. I get unbearable migraines when I get dehydrated. I can't take care of myself or my family. I push my way through it twice a year but that's all I can handle.

keym

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:22 am
Trying.
Taking it hour by hour.

ETA everyone who is fasting, please be careful. It's HOT outside, humid and can get dangerous fast, especially with Corona (masks make most more sweaty, people spend more time outside).
Ask a Rav if you start feeling too thirsty, headache, etc.

Last edited by keym on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:24 am
Yes.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:29 am
I'm not fasting, im pregnant. But even when I am not pregnant I only fast yom kippur and Tisha be'UV. I think a lot of chassidisha people do that, actually that's what my family does.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:31 am
Not fasting. We hold that having a baby under two puts you in the category of nursing even if you're not technically nursing.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:44 am
zaq wrote:
Of course. I fast all obligatory fasts. We don't hold that healthy adult women with no extenuating conditions are exempt just for being female.

What's a non-obligatory fast? BaHaB, yahrzeit and any others prefaced by "some have the custom to fast on ______."

Interestingly, my father-in-law, as a Belzer Chassid, does not hold of women fasting. However, my husband (who is a lot more litvish than chassidish) and I spoke to our Rav (chassidish-gone-litvish) and he said there's no heter for me not to fast. [I come from litvak descent and always fasted when I was single so this wasn't a problem for me.]

So when I'm not pregnant/nursing, I have to pretend I'm not fasting for my FIL so he doesn't get offended!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Similar story to shabbatiscoming. I get unbearable migraines when I get dehydrated. I can't take care of myself or my family. I push my way through it twice a year but that's all I can handle.

Our Rav also told me that caring for my children is my first priority, so when I fast, I need to break it as soon as I feel I can't care for them.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:47 am
I'm not fasting because I'm pregnant, and I'm still nursing, though not every day. (I have a feeling my baby will want to tandem nurse when the littler one is born, so I want to keep up the skill/ reflex.)

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:48 am
zaq wrote:

This. It's hard to understand the rationale behind not fasting just because you're a woman. Last I checked, women also mourn the destruction of Yerushalayim.

Every year, millions of Muslim women fast dawn to dark for the full thirty days of Ramadan. They don't all drop dead. We should be ashamed that so many among us can't even show a fraction of their devotion.

To clarify, I'm talking about healthy women who are not pregnant or nursing.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:49 am
I’m trying to fast until chatzos.
I feel guilty that I’m not doing the whole thing because I really should.. no excuses now.
I get so hungry that turns into weakness and I end up in bed. I’ve done it for years but for some reason it’s become harder for me.
My family members all fast and I can’t let them know that I won’t be.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
This. It's hard to understand the rationale behind not fasting just because you're a woman. Last I checked, women also mourn the destruction of Yerushalayim.

Every year, millions of Muslim women fast dawn to dark for the full thirty days of Ramadan. They don't all drop dead. We should be ashamed that so many among us can't even show a fraction of their devotion.

To clarify, I'm talking about healthy women who are not pregnant or nursing.

You can’t understand why a woman, who may have her period/ be pregnant/ post partum/ caring for multiple small children might have a harder time fasting than a man? Interesting. I wouldn’t compare us to Muslims either, as we are rachamim.

I grew up fasting all the fasts, while the women in my husband’s family fast only YK and 9 Av, so he can’t understand why on earth I’d volunteer to fast the “minor” fasts.

Ironically, I had to force myself to eat this morning despite having no appetite as I am sick and needed to take my meds with food.

May everyone who is fasting have an easy fast!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note