Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much do you spend on kids shoes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:24 pm
I live in NY, have one son and he started walking in February. I lucked out because someone in the neighborhood had a shoe store in her basement and was going out of business . I stocked up on shoes for $20-$25 each. These are the shoes you would find at the frum higher end kids shoe stores in Brooklyn/Lakewood/five towns/Monsey. All were European.
I'd like to order my son more shoes now since he's outgrown his shabbos shoes and almost outgrown his weekday shoes. I'm just blown away that these shoes retail for $65-$120. Is this normal?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:30 pm
I only buy sale styles at stores like stride rite. Always below $40 but ideally much lower. My kid outgrows them in 3 months. We don’t shop in frum stores: I don’t care for the styles and couldn’t/wouldn’t pay the prices even if it did

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:30 pm
$120 is way overpriced but yes, shoes for kids are very expensive. There are ways around it, like knowing when to shop end of season sales.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:31 pm
Why does a one and a half year old need shabbos shoes? You get one pair for shabbos and weekday. Or sandals for $35

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:32 pm
I try to buy on sale when I can but otherwise anywhere from 60-100 for.shabbos and less for.weekday.

ETA: for babies I spend much less and generally only buy one pair unless I need for a wedding or something.

bsy

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Why does a one and a half year old need shabbos shoes? You get one pair for shabbos and weekday. Or sandals for $35

I dont do Shabbos shoes for babies. And I only buy on sale or the same companies on Amazon. I spend up to 40.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:36 pm
We try to find good quality shoes online for around $75. Yes the most up to date versions are $110 even online. If we have a hard time with fit we go to the store and suck up the $110 cost.
For shabbos we spend around $30 online.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:37 pm
No more than $40. I buy Sketchers generally and its always buy one get one half off, so 2 pairs (one for each kid) cost around $50-60 for both. And Sketchers last for ever.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:38 pm
I spend 60-80 on weekday shoes for an elementary aged boy because its the only pair of shoes they get all year in addition to shabbos shoes that I get cheap at nordstrom rack etc. I spend around 40 maximum for a toddler because their feet grow so fast I dont see the investment.

giselle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:41 pm
For my older kids, I spend the Jewish prices, because it’s hard to find nice dressy shoes in non Jewish stores. But for a toddler, you can easily find cute options online.

zigi

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:46 pm
60 for addidas or nike for the boys shabbos shoes it depends. they don't always wear them etc.
40 and under for the girls. I like to buy good brands on amazon like primigi since I know that they will last. the local shoe sale that has shoes for 40$ or childrens place etc and lands end

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:49 pm
My kids are hard to fit so I go to the Jewish stores for everything other than weekday sneakers and crocs/natives. It’s a fortune but I just can’t deal with ordering 20 pairs online and none of them fitting. I try to buy when they have their sales rather than buying new full priced erev yontif.

bk

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:00 pm
This has been bothering me for a long time. Why are the frum shoe stores so expensive? How much does manufacturing the shoe cost? Is there a high markup?

signed,
Someone who's kids are getting older and is struggling to find shoes (for the girls and boys shabbos shoes) on sales to avoid the exorbitant charges in the frum stores.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:02 pm
I buy European Frum stores. I buy only on sale for about $30-$40 a pair. I buy them at off season times. 9/10 times they fit when we need them. When it doesn’t I resell them.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:16 pm
I try to get for under 50. The cheaper the better. I try for good brands.

tothepoint

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:52 pm
I’ve been very successful buying from okaaspain.com
Very good quality Spanish shoes for a fraction of the price as local stores. They tend to run a bit to the larger end

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:59 pm
mommyhood wrote:
My kids are hard to fit so I go to the Jewish stores for everything other than weekday sneakers and crocs/natives. It’s a fortune but I just can’t deal with ordering 20 pairs online and none of them fitting. I try to buy when they have their sales rather than buying new full priced erev yontif.

This.
With wanting to buy cheaper and corona, I tried ordering online.

I ended up going to a local store & basically only one expensive brand fit.
No sale.

I googled stride rite and all different brands. They didn’t gave good reviews for my child’s foot.

I gave in

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 2:59 pm
tothepoint wrote:
I’ve been very successful buying from okaaspain.com
Very good quality Spanish shoes for a fraction of the price as local stores. They tend to run a bit to the larger end

cool! never heard of them before. website looks nice. how long does it take to ship to usa? is shipping free?

tothepoint

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 3:04 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
cool! never heard of them before. website looks nice. how long does it take to ship to usa? is shipping free?

No shipping is around 15 euro I think but it’s still considerably cheap. I think my total order was $40. Item arrived 2 days later with DHL

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 3:11 pm
I bought my daughter all her shoes local. New year school shoes are usually around $100. I replace them around January when there are sales for $40-$50 and hope those last until sneaker season. Local sneakers aren't that expensive, maybe also $40-$50. Since sneakers are a more comfortable and forgiving cut I have done sneakers online. It involved ordering 2 pairs and reselling one of them.
I only buy shabbos shoes if we have a simcha, last year and this year bh we did but shoes were $100+. Now for summer my daughter wanted shabbos shoes as well and I didn't want to spend that so we got something online at Target for $12. She's happy with it and it works for me. May do the same for winter shabbos shoes this year.
Local shoes are expensive, but for a shoe that she'll wear every day to school I think its somewhat worth it. I got a second pair/bootie on Amazon for $25.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics