Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Excess Skin after WLS

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:48 am
I'm considering having the gastric sleeve done, and I have approximately 110 lbs I need to lose. I'm terrified of staying with saggy skin, and really do not want to do surgery to repair that. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:56 am
Not really. Slower loss may allow skin to recover slowly, but otherwise it's the luck of the draw. the younger you are and the less you have to lose, the better your chances. If your skin is still elastic, it may bounce back. If the connective tissue tore like the elastic in old underwear, it won't. In that case, surgery is pretty much the only solution.

Don't let the fear of excess skin deter you from losing weight. Nobody ever died of excess skin.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:51 pm
If I ever finish losing all my weight I’ll have lost 180-200 pounds. I already have excess skin and it annoys me far less than being 110 pounds more did.

I’m even willing to do it twice if need be.

Jason Fung says that fasting long enough to regularly encourage autophagy will solve excess skin issues, but I
Am not willing to fast that long.

I did not do bariatric surgery. You’re welcome to search my story on this site or pm me to hear what I did.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:57 pm
If one loses a lot of weight, where else beside for just hanging out, will the skin go? It was holding all of the fat, but once that fat is lost, there is still the skin that was holding the fat.

Can I ask, why would you not want to repair the excess skin? It will make you feel so much better, even better than if you stay with it. You will have lost over 100 pounds only to live with a constant reminder of what was there, with the sagging skin.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:01 pm
I believe excess skin is only a concern when losing weight so drastically, hence my concern. I am looking for tips on how to avoid it, if there are any, so I have the best shot.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:56 pm
I did the sleeve a few months ago
I had 100 pounds to lose
So far I lost about half
I have no sagging skin at all
We’ll see what happens when I (hopefully soon!!) Lose another 50 lb
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise