Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Will the DOE actually end up opening?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:50 am
This thread is so validating. I have PPD and had a severely hard time working with my 4 kids home. They are yummy but dificult kids. My stomach literally churns and turns in knots at the thought of having schools closed and kids home. The phone conferences were a nightmare 😧

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Seems the union has shown their true colors and it is not about the health and welfare and education of the students they claim to serve.
If a teacher is compromised or vulnerable accommodations can be made for them without penalizing and shutting down the entire system against the health recommendations of the AMA and the CDC.

FYI 65% of teachers are at risk. At least 40% of parents etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Everyone knows these excuses about how all these scenarios are more dangerous than the virus are ridiculous and not true
No one died yet from having to learn at home. Not one

Your right nobody died physically from learning at home. But countless have unfortunately died spiritually and emotionally. Homeschooling is equally as dangerous as the virus

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:26 pm
I saw a very interesting point in one of the articles:

If hospitals can assure safety of doctors and nurses who have direct and constant interaction with confirmed COVID cases, why shouldn't schools be able to find a way to protect their teachers while keeping school open?

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I saw a very interesting point in one of the articles:

If hospitals can assure safety of doctors and nurses who have direct and constant interaction with confirmed COVID cases, why shouldn't schools be able to find a way to protect their teachers while keeping school open?

Doctors are not dealing with a small classroom with 25 4 year olds jumping on top of each other. Also special needs kids who need help the most need the most physical contact with their teachers.

That being said I am 1000000% behind schools opening Im just playing devils advocate.

A lot of public school closings boil down to powerful unions and politics.

I am just curious if anyone knows what the wealthy private nyc private schools are really any wealthy private schools are doing as far as school in the fall.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:08 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
Doctors are not dealing with a small classroom with 25 4 year olds jumping on top of each other. Also special needs kids who need help the most need the most physical contact with their teachers.

And teachers are not aerosolizing virus particles for their 4-year-olds, who are NOT confirmed COVID cases.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:25 pm
chocolatecake wrote:

That being said I am 1000000% behind schools opening Im just playing devils advocate.

A lot of public school closings boil down to powerful unions and politics.

I am just curious if anyone knows what the wealthy private nyc private schools are really any wealthy private schools are doing as far as school in the fall.

My coworkers who have kids at Dalton, Brearly and Horace Mann said they assume their kids probably do not have regular in person schooling and know that if they will there will be regulations, which is what they want. Secular people in general, especially from higher socioeconomic classes, are more equipped to have children at home (space, babysitting, resources, etc.)

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:27 pm
Listen: ALL MY KIDS ARE GOING OUT TO DAY CAMP THE ENTIRE SUMMER. They will be going to school and yeshiva this year. All people are out and about.
The problem lies just with Special needs kids???

Where is the sense in this????

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Listen: ALL MY KIDS ARE GOING OUT TO DAY CAMP THE ENTIRE SUMMER. They will be going to school and yeshiva this year. All people are out and about.
The problem lies just with Special needs kids???

Where is the sense in this????

Most people I know did not have their kids in day camp this year (outside of the frum community) lol......

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:39 pm
If doe workers can't work they shouldn't get paid. I'm a doe contracted out worker. If I don't work , no pay. Then let's see how fast they want to get back to work. I'm do sick and disgusted with the DOE. They are an inept entity. If they were a private business they would've tanked years ago for their ineptitude.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Most people I know did not have their kids in day camp this year (outside of the frum community) lol......

How many families with children do you know who are sitting home quarantined????
Kids and adults are out in the streets. Shopping, playing...
Special needs children are suddenly the issue of causing corona!
How stupid can they be???

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:49 pm
https://amp.theatlantic.com/am.....4902/

Teachers are essential workers.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:13 pm
Are you or anyone really going to compare teachers to nurses/doctors in the hospital?

I'm a teacher so let me tell you some IMPORTANT MAJOR DIFFERENCES THAT MAY PUT TEACHERS MORE AT RISK...

1) I dont know of any hospitals that dont have air conditioning while MANY PUBLIC SCHOOLS DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING MAKING IT HARD TO WEAR MASKS AND HARD TO BREATHE/...PLUS HEAT exhaustion/heat stroke can be an issue for teachers and students...a lot of school buildings are old and need a new updated electrical grade to be able to handle air conditioning...

2) many public schools dont even have enough soap for the entire day...so is it really realistic to say kids/adults will wash hands often? No! The schools will not be able to provide all these....a principal even told staff that he knows about how schools should provide hand sanitizers etc...but realistically, he doesnt think he'll be able to provide...
NO HOSPITAL WILL RUN OUT OF SOAP..and not refill...

There are so many other differences in the resources HOSPITALs MUST HAVE To contain the virus that schools will say they'll do/have but wont actually provide resources etc....

Yes, teachers know they are putting themselves at risk for catching sicknesses possibly but it's not the same risk hospital nurses sign up for because SICK KIDS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO COME TO SCHOOL WHILE HOSPITALS ARE FOR SICK PPL.(except for delivering babies...)

Regardless, I do think schools should open so parents should work because ppl need money, but I also know I'm worried.......

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:54 pm
I work in a public school (outside of new york). Was allowed in for a couple days in the spring to pack up my room. While I was there, the head custodian came in to beg for any extra disinfecting wipes I might have-- they didn't have the supplies needed to clean according to the guidelines given. She said they got 1 small bottle of bleach 2 weeks prior for the whole school. That was it. No way schools are going to be cleaned properly.
Crowded bathrooms (kids always waiting in line), teachers regularly use the kids bathroom because staff facilities are inadequate. Always out of soap and paper towels. Windows in classrooms don't open. Not enough room to separate desks 1 or 2 feet apart, forget about 6 feet.
Kids get sent to school all the time under the weather, because parents don't want to keep them home. No way the virus would not be brought in.
Are teachers going to be given the level of PPE gear the way doctors in a covid ward did-- I doubt it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I work in a public school (outside of new york). Was allowed in for a couple days in the spring to pack up my room. While I was there, the head custodian came in to beg for any extra disinfecting wipes I might have-- they didn't have the supplies needed to clean according to the guidelines given. She said they got 1 small bottle of bleach 2 weeks prior for the whole school. That was it. No way schools are going to be cleaned properly.
Crowded bathrooms (kids always waiting in line), teachers regularly use the kids bathroom because staff facilities are inadequate. Always out of soap and paper towels. Windows in classrooms don't open. Not enough room to separate desks 1 or 2 feet apart, forget about 6 feet.
Kids get sent to school all the time under the weather, because parents don't want to keep them home. No way the virus would not be brought in.
Are teachers going to be given the level of PPE gear the way doctors in a covid ward did-- I doubt it.

That's ridiculous - and on the DOE. What does it take to get disinfecting supplies and PPE? A whole lot less than giving out lunches and iPads. Shame on them for waste. For being backward. For red tape. For neglecting the school community.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 5:46 pm
Still won't help with the bathroom situation though.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 5:47 pm
Washing down surfaces is less important than masks/ventilation. Surfaces are not the main source of transmission at all. Not sure why the emphasis on disinfectant and bleach.

A teacher should be able to afford a $1 bottle of hand soap for themselves if that's what they're worried about, if not please post your paypal address and I'll sponsor it.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 6:07 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Washing down surfaces is less important than masks/ventilation. Surfaces are not the main source of transmission at all. Not sure why the emphasis on disinfectant and bleach.

A teacher should be able to afford a $1 bottle of hand soap for themselves if that's what they're worried about, if not please post your paypal address and I'll sponsor it.

Thanks for your absolutely obnoxious response. Fortunately my school district cares about their students and staff. So we will be remote until it is safe to introduce a hybrid model.
Keep your buck to buy some treats for your kids. Sounds like they deserve it.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Thanks for your absolutely obnoxious response. Fortunately my school district cares about their students and staff. So we will be remote until it is safe to introduce a hybrid model.
Keep your buck to buy some treats for your kids. Sounds like they deserve it.

Don't worry, my kids have learned in a virtual school for years. We won't be contaminating you.

But I honestly don't get the emphasis on surface disinfectants. It has long been proven that it's far from the major source of transmission.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Still won't help with the bathroom situation though.

It's an embarrassment that they haven't put out toilet seat covers and Purel dispensers in the stalls like other big organizations have done. Our tax dollars are being wasted and you are suffering.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children