Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone backing out of sending daughter to seminary in EY
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:54 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
All of this was known months ago. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Some people paid 25k because they think it's worth it anyways. Some people didn't, because they understood what the new rules meant. And I guess some people live in lala land and figured that the rules wouldn't apply by the time they came, or wouldn't apply to them...

I'm sorry people are miserable. This set of circumstances IS what they signed up for, though, so I hope they can find the bright side and focus on it.

I have a dd this age that also stayed home. IMO the girls must be telling this persons dd that they are miserable so that she should not feel bad about not going and they are likely not as miserable as they are making themselves out to be. I know I am like this sometimes and I see it from others, if someone asks me how xyz was then if I think they might feel bad that I got to go to xyz then I will say that there was abc problem there.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 9:58 pm
Quote:
I have a dd this age that also stayed home. IMO the girls must be telling this persons dd that they are miserable so that she should not feel bad about not going and they are likely not as miserable as they are making themselves out to be. I know I am like this sometimes and I see it from others, if someone asks me how xyz was then if I think they might feel bad that I got to go to xyz then I will say that there was abc problem there.

My sister is in a sem that is still hoping to start in a few weeks. She has many friends that are there already. At first she was so upset that she couldn't go earlier, and was very jealous of her friends having a blast in seminary. But she said now she hears from them that the "fun" is getting old already. Especially now over yom tov when there's very little structure. The girls are getting very bored and stir crazy.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 10:02 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Quote:

My sister is in a sem that is still hoping to start in a few weeks. She has many friends that are there already. At first she was so upset that she couldn't go earlier, and was very jealous of her friends having a blast in seminary. But she said now she hears from them that the "fun" is getting old already. Especially now over yom tov when there's very little structure. The girls are getting very bored and stir crazy.

I'm sure there is truth to it, just like the truth to the "abc" that I complain about at "xyz", but if they were making the choice again would they rather have stayed home? I doubt it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm sure there is truth to it, just like the truth to the "abc" that I complain about at "xyz", but if they were making the choice again would they rather have stayed home? I doubt it.

This is not my first dd who's gone to seminary, so I can tell you that at this time of year there are plenty of girls wishing they hadn't gone -- in a normal year! YT time is so difficult if you don't have family, going from placement to placement and struggling to find a group of friends to do Chol hamoed trips with.
My dd who is there now is actually calmer and happier than some of her previous sisters because that pressure is just gone. And I have to give kudos to the seminary, who is making every effort to plan amazing and fun activities on campus. She keeps sending me pictures of what they are doing and they all look like they are having a blast. I don't believe she regrets going and not staying at home. And remember, we are taking the long view. This can't last all year.....

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 08 2020, 10:33 am

Your entire post is based on a mistaken assumption. I don't have a dd who is sem age this year. Smile

Goldengrl327

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:03 pm

This is true on some level. We knew months ago (or weeks before they left) that there would be a mandatory 2 week quarantine when they get there and some restrictions on how the school would be able to possibly travel around. I don’t think we were expecting a complete country wide lockdown where the kids are stuck in one place for weeks on end. I don’t know how it is in other semeinaries or yeshivas, but in my sons yeshiva, they cannot leave the campus at all (their dorms and school are on the same grounds). So even though the country lets you go within 1 km or to the food store, his yeshiva is being more restrictive and not allowing it.
I honestly think if his school keeps this up, they’re gonna be left with a lot of empty beds. Most of the other MO yeshivas/seminaries are not treating the kids like this. As a parent I’m furious. I understand the need to be safe, but mental health is important also.
We told our son to give it a few weeks post-sukkot and we’ll reevaluate since the actual program will then be in full swing and not interrupted by the Chagim

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:25 pm
b94race wrote:
This is true on some level. We knew months ago (or weeks before they left) that there would be a mandatory 2 week quarantine when they get there and some restrictions on how the school would be able to possibly travel around. I don’t think we were expecting a complete country wide lockdown where the kids are stuck in one place for weeks on end. I don’t know how it is in other semeinaries or yeshivas, but in my sons yeshiva, they cannot leave the campus at all (their dorms and school are on the same grounds). So even though the country lets you go within 1 km or to the food store, his yeshiva is being more restrictive and not allowing it.
I honestly think if his school keeps this up, they’re gonna be left with a lot of empty beds. Most of the other MO yeshivas/seminaries are not treating the kids like this. As a parent I’m furious. I understand the need to be safe, but mental health is important also.
We told our son to give it a few weeks post-sukkot and we’ll reevaluate since the actual program will then be in full swing and not interrupted by the Chagim

I think most MO schools are. My daughter can’t leave Bayit Vegan. Can’t take public transportation. Can’t visit family etc. At some point, girls may be allowed to pick one host family to go to for shabbos. But only that one host family.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 4:37 pm
b94race wrote:

The whole country is in lockdown. Where do you want him to go?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:00 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
The whole country is in lockdown. Where do you want him to go?

Maybe the the supermarket? Or to just take a walk away from the people you are with every day, even if it's a few blocks.

Being able to walk around in Bayit Vagan gives you some options. If your campus in large, you have some options. If not, you might feel very stuck.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:05 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Maybe the the supermarket? Or to just take a walk away from the people you are with every day, even if it's a few blocks.

Being able to walk around in Bayit Vagan gives you some options. If your campus in large, you have some options. If not, you might feel very stuck.

like I said upthread. These schools are being more strict than the law to avoid quarantine. If your child will be exposed to a sick person in the supermarket they will be all alone in their room for two weeks.

Goldengrl327

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:08 pm
Anywhere beyond the gates of his “campus”. He’s been in bw his room/courtyard/beit midrash and that’s it. He can’t go to the supermarket without a Madrich and they don’t always want to go when he does (they have “scheduled trips” or just to walk around the block. He likes to jog so he hasn’t been able to do that - he just feels stifled.
Some of his other friends in other seminaries/yeshivas have gotten together during Chol Hamoed to get takeout and walk around. Go to the supermarket, bagel store, whatever. He knows he can’t go to families and knows about masking but the school is being extra restrictive

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

I don't know where he is. Some yeshivot have more room than others.

If he's being fed, there's no need to go to the supermarket. He can order online, if he wants snacks.

I'm sure it's hard being stuck, but it would be a nightmare to have covid-19 spreading through a dorm.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:11 pm
b94race wrote:
Anywhere beyond the gates of his “campus”. He’s been in bw his room/courtyard/beit midrash and that’s it. He can’t go to the supermarket without a Madrich and they don’t always want to go when he does (they have “scheduled trips” or just to walk around the block. He likes to jog so he hasn’t been able to do that - he just feels stifled.
Some of his other friends in other seminaries/yeshivas have gotten together during Chol Hamoed to get takeout and walk around. Go to the supermarket, bagel store, whatever. He knows he can’t go to families and knows about masking but the school is being extra restrictive

If he is a jogger perhaps he can ask for special permission to jog in a preselected area. He can promise to show them his watch/run app or something like that.
But he will have to really be mature about it and not cheat meet friends and stuff like that.

Goldengrl327

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
like I said upthread. These schools are being more strict than the law to avoid quarantine. If your child will be exposed to a sick person in the supermarket they will be all alone in their room for two weeks.

I get that but at this point fine. At another yeshiva, Over half the American boys had it and they ended up quarantining the ones that didn’t test positive. And they all recovered and had nothing more than a runny nose. So I get they want to keep it out but at this point it may be better for the high risk kids (who may be in the minority) to be in their own cluster or bubble or whatever you want to call it.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:13 pm
b94race wrote:

Anyone in Israel could have told you that there was a very big possibility that a full lockdown would happen at some point.

I don't understand kids or parents who say they "didn't know". Of course you did. Or you were willfully ignorant

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:14 pm
b94race wrote:
I get that but at this point fine. At another yeshiva, Over half the American boys had it and they ended up quarantining the ones that didn’t test positive. And they all recovered and had nothing more than a runny nose. So I get they want to keep it out but at this point it may be better for the high risk kids (who may be in the minority) to be in their own cluster or bubble or whatever you want to call it.

This is not about covid. This is about the mandatory two week quarantine. Given that just over a month ago the boys did two week quarantine, the yeshiva probably feels like the program is not yet ready to risk handling that again.
The boys need a chance to meet the rabbis and each other.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Anyone in Israel could have told you that there was a very big possibility that a full lockdown would happen at some point.

I don't understand kids or parents who say they "didn't know". Of course you did. Or you were willfully ignorant

... And it most probably will happen again....
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics