Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Maternity leave + vacation a few weeks later- is it ethical?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do I need to tell my boss that I am pregnant/due? November?

As early as possible, like September. I usually tell at the end of the first trimester.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:58 pm
princessleah wrote:
If you need the clinical hours for licensure you’ll probably have to stay for more than a year, no?
Your leave won’t count towards your hours

Many people chose to work full time or part time to get their clinical hours. It can take 10 months- 4 years. Not many people rush to finish it. I just want to finish because I don't want to drag it out. My leave will not count towards my hours. Im not too worried if I have to stay an extra month or two if that means being able to see my family for a week in Israel honestly..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:02 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Are you sure because you mentioned you are a therapist working for an agency. Generally that would make you an independent contractor, not an employee of the school.

Nope I'm not an independent contractor

Bruria

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:37 pm
As early as possible, like September. I usually tell at the end of the first trimester.

Yes as early as possible so they can prepare themselves.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have the job, HR sent me all the info to fill out etc.
Is it inappropriate to ask them what their maternity leave/vacation day policy is?
I dont really want to tell them Im expecting... Im not even 5 months

You should tell them now
Don't wait

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
You should tell them now
Don't wait

I spoke to my professor she told me I only need to tell an employer two months before.
Also, my agency doesnt even know whats happening with schools and if bk yeshivas are opening because of covid so things might be telehealth again....

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 2:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I was in school two of my friends returned a week and a half after their babies. It deff. wasnt easy, but they did it. Is the recovery after a baby really difficult?

To be honest. no. it's not always. No reason to be nerveous.

I feel very energetic after babies. Much much better than before the baby is born. I planned to take longer by my first. I ended up taking about a week or 2 after my first since I worked at home and found I had tons of free time while my baby sleept

If I had to go out of the house I may have taken bit longer. Not everyone feels they need weeks to recuperate

I know my answer will upset many. I'm sorry

baby12x

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 3:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I spoke to my professor she told me I only need to tell an employer two months before.
Also, my agency doesnt even know whats happening with schools and if bk yeshivas are opening because of covid so things might be telehealth again....

That's a good way to make your boss upset at you.
Doesn't matter if its telehealth- you still need to take off.
The more time you give them to prepare for your absence the better

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:12 am
Just curious how the vacation days will affect the children you are seeing. Imagine the child getting used to one therapist and then another and then another.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:37 am

I disagree. Like op said, two months before is standard in the field. Maybe in the corporate world its standard to give longer notice. When I sign a contract it says two months notice before going on maternity leave. Also, putting that aside, I would never ever tell anyone so early. Not before the 5th month. Four months to "prepare" is plenty. But again this is not like corporate world. Agencies don't run like this. You either get someone yourself to replace you or they have an older almost retired therapist that does only maternity leaves.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I disagree. Like op said, two months before is standard in the field. Maybe in the corporate world its standard to give longer notice. When I sign a contract it says two months notice before going on maternity leave. Also, putting that aside, I would never ever tell anyone so early. Not before the 5th month. Four months to "prepare" is plenty. But again this is not like corporate world. Agencies don't run like this. You either get someone yourself to replace you or they have an older almost retired therapist that does only maternity leaves.

In the corporate world 2 months is not enough time, and your bosses would be extremely upset that you hid it. Might actually be impossible to hide it in the corporate field, how else would you explain all the medical appointments?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:52 am
Most bosses and managers appreciate as much heads up as possible (speaking as one). Unless you are concerned about telling them raising problems, you probably should.
Why wouldn't you?

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I ask why you think that?

Because you do not take a vacation just a few weeks after having been missing from work for a considerable amount of time. It's not appropriate and would reflect poorly on your work ethic and responsibility.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:00 am
I'm a therapist in schools. I tell family about pregnancies the latest I can, but I tell my supervisor at about 16-20 weeks or so. They need to find a sub. My supervisor knows before my mother. Tell them soon.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Just curious how the vacation days will affect the children you are seeing. Imagine the child getting used to one therapist and then another and then another.

Ddnt get to all the responses- but please keep this in mind!!
When we sign up to work with kids we take on that responsibility..... maternity leave- obviously take what you need to... but to then go on vacation right after you get back- I don’t know... if it rly is only 2 days I’d say it’s ok but any more than that- how I’ll it affect the students that Your servicing???

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
To be honest. no. it's not always. No reason to be nerveous.

I feel very energetic after babies. Much much better than before the baby is born. I planned to take longer by my first. I ended up taking about a week or 2 after my first since I worked at home and found I had tons of free time while my baby sleept

If I had to go out of the house I may have taken bit longer. Not everyone feels they need weeks to recuperate

I know my answer will upset many. I'm sorry

That’s awesome but I certainly don’t think this is the norm and that women should assume this will be their experience. Wishing this for all moms!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:32 am
Not a good idea, OP. These people are going to be your references for your next job. You need to make yourself look good, not flaky. Yes it makes you look bad to take extra vacation soon after maternity leave, because it creates a hassle for them. Having a baby is one thing, everyone understands, but an optional vacation is not something people will look kindly on when it creates more work and hassle for them, and demonstrates that this job is not your first priority. (Obviously your job shouldn't be your first priority, but pretend that it is when you're at work if you want good references.)

I also would not fly with such a young baby if I didn't have to. Too risky. One of my children got very sick when she was a month old, due to getting exposed to a sibling's cold. Young babies' immune systems aren't the same as ours.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I'm a therapist in schools. I tell family about pregnancies the latest I can, but I tell my supervisor at about 16-20 weeks or so. They need to find a sub. My supervisor knows before my mother. Tell them soon.

Thanks for writing in...
I dont have a supervisor to tell yet so thats not an option. Wont get a supervisor till September

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
In the corporate world 2 months is not enough time, and your bosses would be extremely upset that you hid it. Might actually be impossible to hide it in the corporate field, how else would you explain all the medical appointments?

Oh interesting ok... hmm.
Why would I go to medical appointments during work hours though?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

Thats what I was told....
also my professor is not even Jewish and thats what she told me. I dont want to share too early with anyone. If im competent to work and commute an hour to the school and work a full day I dont want them to know Im expecting if they dont need to know. It doesnt impinge on my ability to be a good therapist
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics