Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Has a/o here overcome crazy fear of driving?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 6:08 pm
I freeze when I realize I'm in control of this huge ton of machinery. Whenever I have to make a turn or maneuver around a car- I freeze and the instructor does it for me. Then I give up my lessons. Then I'm sooooooooooooo down on myself.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

smile

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 6:23 pm
Sounds very familiar to me. that's why I am scared to START learning how to drive.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 6:26 pm
smile wrote:
Sounds very familiar to me. that's why I am scared to START learning how to drive.
I can't believe that there aren't solutions to this problem, like very patient, warm teachers.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 6:30 pm
OMG! just yesterday my mother told me that if I wanted to get my lisence she'd pay for drivers ed! when I was 1 I took drivers ed, but never took the driving test bc I feel exactly how you feel! its crazy fearful!

middy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 6:46 pm
I was in a car accident when I was learning to drive at age 18. I was so scared I didnt try again for another 10 years. eventually I had to do carpool so I took months of lessons until I finally got over my fear.

mimivan

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 7:32 pm
I can't stand driving...I had an accident involving a deer about 10 years ago, had always hated driving before then, and just gave up driving after that...in fact, that is one of the reasons I initially moved to NY was because I wouldn't need a car.

I think I may have to learn over again someday, but I'm in no hurry.I live in Israel and licenses are expensive and hard to get. Do you need to drive and do you need to get over this fear? I'd just as soon not drive, because it is a justifiably scary thing and not a crazy fear at all...

Maybe your fear will someday make you a better (I.e. more defensive) driver...

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 8:58 pm
Join the club, I am also in the same boat and I don't mind remaining there quite frankly. I'll pay you to drive me anyday................

zigi

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 9:01 pm
I'm not afraid of driving, but of the test, I get too tense and freeze up and do really badly. I drive to the test noramally as soon as the trooper comes in the car forget about it!

realeez

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 9:30 pm
I drive (got my license a couple of years ago) and really hate it especially in this rotten weather. I do it when I really have to like for carpool and try to walk otherwise as much as possible!

supermommy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 9:57 pm
I live in brooklyn and NEVER drive here. But I drive out of town (with a lot of nerves and shvitz) Maybe you should try to drive in a "safe area" like a parking lot or quite neigborhoods untill you get used to it and then you can move onto bigger streets.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 10:05 pm
I once resolved to get my driver's license and my husband gave me the wheel of an SUV to try in a huge parking lot in New Hampshire while we were on vacation there. It was fun, but I was too scared to actually go for the lessons.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 12:13 am
Why are a small percentage of women so much more scared than others to control the wheel (I'm one of them)?

Any guesses?

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:08 pm
last winter I tried driving just a few feet and instead I turned the entire car and went halfway up a mountain, only reason I stopped going was bc I drove into a snow bank. It took 3 men to get the car out and it took abt 2 hours.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:09 pm
I prefer not to drive, but do it if I have to. I never drive on the highway alone.

I know why I'm afraid of driving - it's because I never drove consistently when I was younger. It's hard to get comfortable with it later in life.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:30 pm
I am working on it Sad

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:43 pm
I was 42 when I got my license.
I hated it everytime I got behind the wheel.
I was morbidly afraid of getting on the highway.
I was constantly afraid I would hit someone.
I thought I was alone and nuts.
I am glad I'm in Israel now and just need to use the bus. I've always preferred pounding the pavement.

HOWEVER. If you can overcome it do, it does make life easier for you.
Now if only we could all go back to horses, I think I would feel much happier.

TightRopeWalker

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 5:58 pm
I was in an accident when I was 18 that was completely beyond my control. Driving after that became hard because I realized I wasn't only driving for me, but for all the those other careless crazies out there too. The clincher was I was found at "fault" because I was a reckless teen so to speak and the other driver a responsible older gentleman. It took several years of pushing myself to drive until I was comfortable. Highway driving was VERY hard, but I am proud to say the heart palpitations are gone!

SingALong

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:27 pm
since I was in a car accident as a little kid, driving always made me nervous. whether somone else was drivng, or busses, whatever, I was tense.
my DH really wanted me to drive so we went to a huge parking lot lat at night. there were hardly any cars since most stores were closed. I even practiced paralel parking near parked cars!!!getting used to the driving when there were no other cars to worry about really helps.
it still took me 3 tries to pass the test cuz I was so nervous. the first year I still drive nervously and was very tense, and of course, no hhigh way driving.
but now its 2nd nature, after5 years of practice. good luck to anyone who wants to ttry driving if you are scared. find something that can calm you when you are nervous and try to use that as a soothing method when practicing.

Earnest

Post Sat, Feb 16 2008, 8:27 pm
I am SO there. It was a miracle I got my driver's license on my 3rd try, at 40 yrs of age. It was mamash so helpful that my kids were teens then and also getting their licences. I rarely drive now. If I ever have to move or visit out of CH (and I have mixed feelings about living in NYC-CH ) knowing how to drive is a neccessity. In "normal land" people drive like civilized human beings, so I'd probably get over my fear of neighborhood driving quickly. Driving on highways terrifies me...If I forced myself to get a lot of practice, I'd learn to handle it. I need to get (1) a really big life insurance policy, so Ch'v, my DH would be taken care of...(2) a car in perfect mechanical shape and (3) a car I could consider a 'disposible' car......Mmm...maybe a rental? LOL

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 12:07 pm
msycms wrote:
since I was in a car accident as a little kid, driving always made me nervous. whether somone else was drivng, or busses, whatever, I was tense....but now its 2nd nature, after5 years of practice. good luck to anyone who wants to ttry driving if you are scared. find something that can calm you when you are nervous and try to use that as a soothing method when practicing.
Like what?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics