Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight. Loss surgery in Mexico
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:31 pm
Hi all,

I am not looking for advice on whether to do weight loss surgery, nor about Mexico.

Rather, I would appreciate any information on finding a competent and trustworthy doctor in mexico.

I don't know how to begin finding out information of this nature, and I hope a kind imamother can give some leads...

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all,

I am not looking for advice on whether to do weight loss surgery, nor about Mexico.

Rather, I would appreciate any information on finding a competent and trustworthy doctor in mexico.

I don't know how to begin finding out information of this nature, and I hope a kind imamother can give some leads...

Please don’t do it there. Do research about stories that happened,

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:03 pm
Do you live in NY?
Did you check if your insurance will cover it?
My dd had hers covered by united healthcare.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:35 pm
we had an excellent experience there. I did my research very well and was extremely satisfied .

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:37 pm
Best two.options are Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Cuevez.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:44 pm
I always thought going to Mexico for surgery was a little like eating sushi from a gas station... just a terrible and dangerous idea. But over the last few years I have met several people who have done it for various cosmetic procedures as well as weight loss surgery and I have yet to hear of a negative experience.
I don't have any personal information on doctors, OP, but wish you much luck.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:50 pm
amother ruby, I think Ortiz is a very common name-- probably akin to saying Dr. Cohen-- so maybe you should give first names/more identifying info. (I also think it sounds very scary to have elective surgery in a third world country, but admittedly I know nothing about this.) Hatzlacha OP, and wishing you a safe successful surgery if/when/wherever you decide to have it, and a refuah shelaima!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:54 pm
Thanks.

I'm asking for a relative. (Really! )

I've done bariatric surgery in NY, and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

This relative wants it, needs it, but is having trouble with insurance coverage.

Amother ruby,
Do you have contact info for these drs?
Thank you very much

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:03 pm
Renew Bariatrics +16196180733
San Diego based docs operating in Tiajuana Mexico just 20 mins from California. Ask specifically for Dr. Cuevez.

Dr. Ortiz
(866) 584-7009
Obesity Control Center

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:37 pm
Dr Ortiz in OCC is supposed to be excellent.
Also renew bariatrics (where dr cueva is) has a few drs.
Dr armenta is also supposed to be excellent.
Go onto their Facebook page and you’ll see real life stories of people going now.
It’s amazing.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
we had an excellent experience there. I did my research very well and was extremely satisfied .

Same here - used OCC (Dr. Ariel Ortiz)

turca

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:06 pm
I’m from Mexico City.
While we do have excellent hospitals and drs ( unfortunately only for people that could afford it), where exactly are u planning to recover? How much Spanish do you speak? Of course the dr speaks English, but u want to know what is going on around, don’t u?
In Tijuana? In a private clinic?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:13 pm
Please be careful. Remember that you have to factor in "travel and treatment in the time of corona" when this decision is made.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:21 pm
I had my surgery at OCC with Dr Ariel Ortiz.
The experience from beginning to end has been incredible. A close family member had it done prior to me in a top NY hospital with one of the best doctors in the field and I have to say my experience was far greater.
My results were Bh fantastic as well.
It’s a couple of years now and I continue to enjoy the benefits of this decision, I couldn’t get it covered by insurance and this was a very good option.
I spoke to others who had it done and everyone highly recommended this Dr/ facility.
While there I met ppl from the U.S. that were doctors and nurses who also came to do the procedure there and they told me many of their colleagues had come as well with very positive outcomes.
Best of Luck

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:04 am
I really appreciate the help- thank you everyone, for chiming in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 01 2020, 6:56 pm
Hi!

I'm back with some follow up questions.

My relative is scheduled to meet with dr Cuevez in about three weeks from today.

She us trying to figure out the logistics that such a trip entails.

Can anyone share their experience please? Where did you/ your accompanying family stay, what did you do about food, and is there anything else she needs to know?

Thank you very much

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 4:38 am
Hi! I was just at renew for sleeve surgery.
Dr. Armameta did mine.
Bh all was great - only downside was nurses didn’t speak English well. They understood basic words like pain... the coordinators keep popping into the room who speak English well so that was good. Bh Bh all worked out.
You need to get to San Diego before 11 am, they pick you up - take you over the border to the clinic. Over there they do an ekg and blood work bring you to your room. A few hours later that day is surgery. Stay 2 nights in hospital. Get discharged on the 3rd morning. Some ppl opt to go to the hotel, and some people go back to the airport which is what I did.
If you get there on a Monday, surgery in afternoon you can leave Wednesday back home or to a hotel for another overnight stay.
If you want I can pm you

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:57 pm
Hi amber!

Thank you!

I would love to pm you!

Are you on site now? I would disclose my SN briefly to enable you to contact me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:06 pm
Here’s my 2 cents. Please really do your research before going to a clinic in Mexico. My MIL DIED after receiving (what I believe to be poor) medical care in Mexico (to save $) instead of being treated here in the US. I don’t want to go in specific details, but I think it very likely she would still be alive if she had received care here in the US.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Here’s my 2 cents. Please really do your research before going to a clinic in Mexico. My MIL DIED after receiving (what I believe to be poor) medical care in Mexico (to save $) instead of being treated here in the US. I don’t want to go in specific details, but I think it very likely she would still be alive if she had received care here in the US.

I was gonna suggest not doing surgery overseas without a life insurance policy and a cemetery plot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise