Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tuition in Florida compared to NJ

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:11 pm
Hi!
I am really hoping to move to Florida this summer (2021) and I am worried that I won't be ale to afford tuition with the salaries being less there. If anyone from the NY/NJ area moved to Florida with kids (Boca Specifically) can you tell me how they compare as far as tuition costs and tuition discounts?
please only write if you actually know-thank you!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:13 pm
Doesn't the school tell you how much tuition will be and if you can get a discount? Also, where in New Jersey are you? Tuition in Teaneck is a whole lot higher than tuition in Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:16 pm
I have k'h have a bunch of kids- and some would be in hs and some in elementary- I am just trying to get an idea of the mentality there- Over here I get a discount but my daughters hs with her break is still extrememly expensive and I am wondering how it would be over there. I know there is step up there and maybe that changes how they treat tutition?

real

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:09 am
I would be interested to know as well

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:04 pm
bump- anyone know?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:16 pm
I'm pretty sure that tuition in Florida is free

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:20 pm
yeshiva tuitoin? can't imagine it's free

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:20 pm
I have Family in Boca. There is a tuition reduction program called Step Up funded by the state, that helps with your tuition, drastically. Google for details and ask your potential schools if they accept it, any legal school should. Which schools are you looking into?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yeshiva tuitoin? can't imagine it's free

There's some sort of tax voucher program. And some other types of state grants awarded to families.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:24 pm
Can you google the schools and see what they charge before discounts?
That wouldn't really tell you anything if you get significant scholarship, but, if you are talking scholarship and not list price, you are going to have a very hard time getting information here anyway as nobody would know your situation. Furthermore, with the financial crisis of 2020, with more people needing assistance and fewer donations come in, not sure how you anticipate information.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure that tuition in Florida is free

It's not free. There's a state voucher called Step Up for Students for income eligible families that gives about $6,000 (the amount changes each year) towards tuition. However, tuition in Florida schools is not comparable to the low tuition in the Tri-State area. Tuition is about double or more of the voucher amount.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
It's not free. There's a state voucher called Step Up for Students for income eligible families that gives about $6,000 (the amount changes each year) towards tuition. However, tuition in Florida schools is not comparable to the low tuition in the Tri-State area. Tuition is about double or more of the voucher amount.

Just to clarify, the lowest income families get the full step up scholarship but there is somewhat of a sliding scale so families earning a bit more can still get something. Agreed that tuition costs tend to be much higher in FL than in NY. So step up just evens it out in that sense, but only for eligible families. Families can apply for a scholarship from the school too and will get it if needed, same as NY. I don't know that anyone really pays less in FL than in NY. Every family is paying quite a bit, even after step up, unless they're seriously struggling.

Lol free tuition. Not unless you put your kids in public school.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
There's some sort of tax voucher program. And some other types of state grants awarded to families.

Step up is the only program, and it starts at age 5. There is vpk for age 4 which covers around $4000 (tuition is around $11000 and up for 4 year olds).

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 4:25 pm
So let’s say someone makes under 200k, and they have 6 kids in school— their bill will be around 6k per month; how after taxes, mortgage and living expenses can people pay that?
And if they make over 200k, their tuition bill would be about 9-10k per month!

How do non-wealthy people with many kids do it?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 4:53 pm
I just looked up HA of Miami. It is a little less than Frisch if that is helpful information.

You can’t compare without specific schools and with out a set of specified haskafic type it is completely impossible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating