Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Hunter/Tannersville 2020
1  2  Next

Rach3

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:14 pm
Please suggest your best family activity to do in the area this year. Four kids ages 2-12.
We won't have time for much (we will be there iy"H 3 days and 2 nights) so I want to make sure whatever we do is super. any hikes I can do with a 2yr old?
I know that chair lift is closed due to Covid...

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:55 pm
Really?? The chair lift is closed? So surprising.. we were there last year.
That was the main attraction in hunter. There are some very nice parks but I’m not sure what they are called. Maybe you can google parks near hunter mountain?
I’m not sure why they closed the chairlift since it’s outdoors.
We went to jiminy peak this season and the chairlift is open.
In tannersville there’s the grocery/pizza store.
Further out there horseback riding. That was fun for the kids!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:25 am
There's boating on north south lake.
Kaaterskill falls is a nice walk.
There's a little zoo not far, it also has horseback riding outside. I think it's called Bailwick. All animals eat carrots, (I'd recommend you bring your own cut in quarters cuz they charge a fortune for their cup of carrots.)
Near the entrance of Hunter mountain there's a lake with a small man-made beach. The kids loved playing in the sand and you can also swim.
There's a nice playground and another lake on Lake Rd in Tannersville. Nice spot for lunch.
If you enjoy walks and hikes there are many more options you can Google.

Rach3

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:06 am
Thanks so much for your replies.
About the man-made beach, do I have to worry about tznius?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:11 am
I heard the hunter shul may not be open as it normally is. Only tannersville and small minyanim around hunter.

Rach3

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:15 am
Thank you so much for your input. loving this forum. I checked into the minyanim and there are some open so that's good. what about indoor activities in case of rain? any ideas?

syrima

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:23 am
Boating is closed there due to COVID

syrima

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:25 am
indoor activities are not open, except going shopping.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:38 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Thanks so much for your replies.
About the man-made beach, do I have to worry about tznius?

When we went there was only one more frum family there, and some people walking the paths. After a few hours a family in swim wear arrived so we left. It's always good to have another option in case you arrive and it's not tznius. Down the road of Hunter mntn across the street there's a public school that has a nice playground. It's a good plan B.

Rach3

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:06 pm
Thank you!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 10:42 pm
The public school park is closed due to covid.

Man made lake/beach does not have a lifeguard and is not roped off for swimming due to covid.

Stream walking is also an option.

Rach3

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:06 am
Thank you! Where is a stream that we can walk in? is it near the lake?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:49 am
You can check out the Kaaterskill Rail Trail https://www.traillink.com/trai.....rail/
Its by the Mountain Top Historical Society (which is closed) but I believe there is still an old train car at the start of the trail behind the MTHS where you can take pictures before doing the hike along the trail where the railroad used to be. https://www.mths.org/

This area is beautiful in itself to explore even just walking around so hope you enjoy.

Rach3

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:57 am
Thank so much for the link. can I do that with a stroller?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:42 pm
the windham path you can do with stroller, we did it today. 1.5 mile loop, easy walk
kelder farm is great, its a bit of a drive but well worth it. adorable for kids those ages
mine kill state park - falls. you can either go to an overlook spot or go down to the falls.
(no stroller)
bellyre beach is open, boating is well priced there and open. the chairlift only open wknds.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:43 pm
don't do the kaaterson trail - if you look at recent trip advisor reviews, you can't access the simple path to the falls now

Rach3

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 10:17 pm
Thank you! Did they require you to wear masks as Kelder Farm?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 4:25 pm
just when you are indoors by admission. ($13/kid wristband, all inclusive including picking veggies) some ppl were wearing their masks, some on their chins. most weren't at all. it was quite empty when we were there Tuesday. you can easily spend 3 hrs there if you plan to pick vegetables - that takes long cuz you have to walk very far in to find veggies.
yesterday we went to the holiday mountain ski and fun place in Monticello, NY. my kids loved. was pretty empty it was open 12-5 call b4 because I think only certain days/hrs - go carts, bumper boats, bumper cars, fun slide, train, moonwalks, rock climbing. (when we were there paintball and arcade was closed) was a bit expensive. you can either pay per attraction or buy a pkg. we paid $135 for 60 tickets, it kept 6 kids (ages 2-13) busy for a little over 2 hrs. wasnt full, they tell you to wear masks when you enter, but its not enforced at all for outdoor rides.

lkwdgirl

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 10:54 pm
Want to go to tannersville/hunter this summer with just my husband (no kids). Haven’t been there in 24 years but used to spend many summers there as a teenager. What’s the lodging and food situation?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:18 pm
lkwdgirl wrote:
Want to go to tannersville/hunter this summer with just my husband (no kids). Haven’t been there in 24 years but used to spend many summers there as a teenager. What’s the lodging and food situation?

People rent homes from Airbnb.
For shabbos try to find a home within walking distance to the hunter shul. In tannersville there is a kosher grocery with pizza store and minyanim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics