Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you like the name ceilon?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:58 am
watergirl wrote:
Where and what did OP say that makes you think for a second she is not giving a Jewish name? You can think my mother was weird. I don't care. She loved it.

Ahhh- but you have a great personality to go with it.

paintbrush

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Some say Esther actually comes from Ishtar, a pagan goddess...

Esther comes from tanach from Esther hamalka. It may also be similar to a pagen name, but that doesn’t mean that’s where it comes from.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:15 am
Please if you want this name, spell it Céline. Or Celine, MAYBE.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:19 am
Ruchel wrote:

Hi! Welcome back!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:23 am
Ruchel wrote:

Céline is correct, but it is very difficult to type with the US keyboard layout.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:23 am
Ceylon is an actual given name, but it is a place name, completely unrelated.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:42 am
yonabets wrote:
I am french I have a friend she called her daughter Celia (also a french name like Celine)
and in Hebrew she wrote צליה:The Shadow of Hashem (like בצלאל). Maybe you can do that?

Hey, that’s my daughter’s name as well! How funny would it be if I’m the friend Laugh I know I’m not, but very funny 😁

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 21 2020, 10:55 am
On an iPhone to easily get an accent key hold down the key to get a menu of accent.

È
Eèéêëÿëėę

yonabets

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Hey, that’s my daughter’s name as well! How funny would it be if I’m the friend Laugh I know I’m not, but very funny 😁

Very Happy Very Happy

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 5:52 pm
watergirl wrote:
The name I go by is not Jewish. I have a hebrew name, I'm sure OP will also give a hebrew name. But not everyone who has a hebrew/Jewish name goes by it. And that's ok. What is NOT ok is people telling me to my face that my name is not ok. Like, I did not ask for anyone's opinion. And it happens ALL THE TIME when I meet someone for the first time. College teachers at the frum women's college I went to, someone at shul, one neighbor we are close with has family come in from out of town and always asks us to join them for a YT meal when they come and I can always count on one of her family members to educate me that my name is not acceptable.

OP, use the name you love.

Wow. That is so rude. I also mostly go by a non Jewish name. I would be really annoyed if people told me my name is not ok.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 6:05 pm
Ehh no I dont like it.
But I don't like every single name out there.
This just seems like an old ladies name (like Helen)

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 22 2020, 6:27 pm
My English name is Celia.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 3:02 am
My chief rabbi goes by his civil name. It's only not ok on imamother

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 3:13 am
In some communities, it's the norm to go by the Hebrew name. In others, using a shem chol is considered preferable, and that is also a tradition that goes way back.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:36 am
watergirl wrote:
The name I go by is not Jewish. I have a hebrew name, I'm sure OP will also give a hebrew name. But not everyone who has a hebrew/Jewish name goes by it. And that's ok. What is NOT ok is people telling me to my face that my name is not ok. Like, I did not ask for anyone's opinion. And it happens ALL THE TIME when I meet someone for the first time. College teachers at the frum women's college I went to, someone at shul, one neighbor we are close with has family come in from out of town and always asks us to join them for a YT meal when they come and I can always count on one of her family members to educate me that my name is not acceptable.

OP, use the name you love.

And I thought Watergirl was such a cool name. Love the meaning, and it has depth like an ocean. I was considering naming my next DD this. Sea Lion on the other hand...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names