Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How is this going to work?
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:12 am
My boys had their first day of school yesterday. Lakewood. No masks, no social distancing, no keeping classes kinda sperate from each other. Regular- shmegular. Line up of all grades in the gym. Lunch in the lunch room. You get the picture.

One of my boys has a friend who wasn't there. Turns out he's in quarentine, was exposed to known cases of Covid19. He'll be missing the first week of school.

A friend is sick, waiting for test results to come back, but pretty sure based on symptoms, exposure, that she has Covid19. She asked the school what to do about her kids, they said send them, if your positive they'll need a 2 week quarentine.

Is this how the school year is going to function? A revolving door of quarentining kids? With the school not following any of the CDC guidelines, won't the whole school need to shut down if one kid tests positive? Will there be distance learning for the boys who need to be home for two weeks at a shot?

Am I the only one worrying about this stuff? Lakewood seems to thik Covid is over. I have no ideas. I know my boys (especially my 5 and 7 year olds) will not keep masks on all day. They'd try, but they'd keep them on the way they keep their yarmulkes on. Sometimes on their heads, but more often in their hands, in their pockets, in their mouths... I'm tired of quarentining and being careful. But I just don't see how this is going to work.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:19 am
That’s the problem with schools who aren’t taking the guidelines seriously.

The schools who are putting all preventive measures in place and enforcing them can likely expect to see fewer issues as the year begins.

It’s a pity that the right wing schools are so shortsighted that they can’t see the bigger picture of how their negligence and cynicism is going to negatively affect their own communities.

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:21 am
Im not in lakewood, but our school in NYC has not informed us of any precautions or guidlines they are takeing. I dont feel comfortable sending my kids to school, but at the same time I know there will regress in social development if I keep them home too long. I asked my doctor what he thinks, but he didnt have an answer yet since school didnt give any info yet. I feel like the only nut considering not sending to school

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:21 am
They did this in Israel, and within a few weeks we had a massive spike that has almost met the same statistics of the Purim weeks. Read the article. This is your future.

Anything to get the kids back in school, right?

https://www.calcalistech.com/c......html

Second wave: Israel registers record-breaking 1,300 new daily Covid-19 infections
The government imposes a lockdown of Beitar Illit, where 16% of test results returned positive
Ynet News, CTech10:2808.07.20

The second wave of the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak is washing over Israel, with the Coronavirus National Information and Knowledge Center reporting a record-breaking 1,319 new confirmed infections over the past 24 hours, an all-time high since the disease first hit the country in March. The previous daily record was 1,140, recorded six days ago. This was the third time this week that the number of newly diagnosed crossed the 1,000 people mark.

The number of dead patients as a result of complications caused by the virus has reached 343, after 12 people passed away over the last two days. A slight decrease in the number of critically ill was recorded, currently standing at 83 people.

As the number of sick increases, Israeli health officials on Tuesday ordered hospitals to reduce activity in some outpatient clinics and surgical departments in order to redirect all staff and resources to fighting coronavirus. The Health Ministry told the heads of Israeli hospitals they must cut 30% to 50% of their non-Covid-19 care in outpatient clinics and "bridge the gap" in treatments by offering medical advice online.

The government decided to impose a lockdown on the city of Beitar Illit, which was set to go into effect at 1 p.m. The city recorded 179 new confirmed cases over the last seven days, with 16% of tests conducted there returning positive.

Other high risk zones include the cities of Kiryat Malachi, Bnei Brak, Modiin Illit, Raanana, Jerusalem, and Tel Aviv.

The second wave has resulted in a series of government decisions to reinstate some of the restrictions put in place during the first wave of the outbreak. They were designed to help curb the spread of the disease, which had all but disappeared from the country by the end of June.

The new restrictions that place caps on public gatherings delivered a blow to many business owners, particularly in the hospitality and events industry who had just resumed normal business following the first wave.

Bar, restaurant, and event hall owners now say that without significant financial assistance from the government their businesses will collapse. On Monday, the government voted to once again close gyms, night clubs, bars, and events halls. Restaurants and cafes, while remaining open, will be restricted to 20 diners inside the premises and another 30 in open air spaces.

Prof. Siegal Sadetzki, head of the public health services in the Health Ministry, announced on Tuesday her resignation for the post with a letter slamming the government response to the coronavirus pandemic. In the letter, the official who became a household name amid the outbreak by appearing in daily press briefings, criticized the reopening strategy of the economy following the first wave of coronavirus infections.

"Our achievements during the first wave vanished following the wide and quick reopening of the economy," wrote Sadetzki. "The transition following the first wave was wider and more hasty than in other Western nations," she said. "The treatment of the virus and the way decisions were made fundamentally changed, resulting in the steep rise in morbidity."

On Tuesday morning, the Israeli parliament (Knesset) voted to grant the executive branch permission to bypass the legislature when making decisions on combating the virus. The move was widely panned with critics decrying the move, claiming it curtails Israel’s democracy. The law granting the government freedom from parliamentary oversight was limited for a month, with the option of extending it if the need arises.

salt

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:24 am
That's kind of how it was when the schools opened up in Israel in May/June.
Classes closing and opening, quarantining, unquarantining, teachers coming, going, etc.

It's either that, or not opening at all.
And kids don't keep masks on the whole time - that's the reality.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:28 am
salt wrote:
That's kind of how it was when the schools opened up in Israel in May/June.
Classes closing and opening, quarantining, unquarantining, teachers coming, going, etc.

It's either that, or not opening at all.
And kids don't keep masks on the whole time - that's the reality.

Kids will keep the masks on if it’s enforced, until they get used to it and it becomes second nature.

Do you also not enforce rules in your home because kids naturally don’t want to follow rules?

happyone

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:29 am
I'm very prepared that our children may very well be home on and off this year.
I'm also preparing for the possibility that we may have another lockdown.
That includes preparing for a work at home model- printer, office space, file cabinet, creating space in the house for potential virtual / distant learning , making sure we have enough phone lines, additional freezer space and enough crafts to keep both my children and myself sane.

I laughed at some that went all out before purim. I'm laughing no more.
Hopefully all will resume to normal soon with the coming of a new year!
This Rosh Hashana brings on a whole new level of prayers!

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:29 am
Kids were going to camp all summer, so I see school as a continuation, nothing new.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:32 am
We are all concerned. Please keep finger pointing out of it. Our RW schools are all being very strict in our city as are all the schools. As yidden we know achdus can only help us all.
If someone has an issue with the way their school is handling it productive approach would be to gather like minded staff and parents and talk to your administration and partner up for team minded solutions at your school.
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:44 am
It really might be kids are home more then regular this year my school is live streaming classes. keeping classes separated no lunch room staggering recess and carpools. So just incase of a positive case they don't have to shut down the whole school. We also have to fill out a health form every morning. Anything to keep school open I will do. I rather my kids home 2 weeks then the year
My worry is the regular winter colds

salt

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Kids will keep the masks on if it’s enforced, until they get used to it and it becomes second nature.

Do you also not enforce rules in your home because kids naturally don’t want to follow rules?

If you're asking me personally, I do enforce rules in my house where necessary, and my kids usually follow them. And if I were a teacher I would probably try and enforce masks and SD in the class, but unfortunately I am not a teacher in my child's class (well lucky for the pupils actually Very Happy ).

I was just relating what my kids told me when I asked them - 'does every child in your class keep their mask on when they are not eating, and sit 2m away from everyone else when they are eating, and never touch each other?'
The answer was no, no and no.
That is reality. I still send my kids to school, and tell them to keep their masks on and wash hands regularly.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 7:51 am
I don’t know where you guys live, but my kids school send out a plan about following all CDC precautions
Mask when not SD. SD whenever possible. Lunch in classroom. Not sure but I think no recess.
Desks 6 feet apart . Mandatory quarantine when going on vacation. iPads provided to all kids in case distant learning is needed . No transportation.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:02 am
DVOM wrote:
My boys had their first day of school yesterday. Lakewood. No masks, no social distancing, no keeping classes kinda sperate from each other. Regular- shmegular. Line up of all grades in the gym. Lunch in the lunch room. You get the picture.

One of my boys has a friend who wasn't there. Turns out he's in quarentine, was exposed to known cases of Covid19. He'll be missing the first week of school.

A friend is sick, waiting for test results to come back, but pretty sure based on symptoms, exposure, that she has Covid19. She asked the school what to do about her kids, they said send them, if your positive they'll need a 2 week quarentine.

Is this how the school year is going to function? A revolving door of quarentining kids? With the school not following any of the CDC guidelines, won't the whole school need to shut down if one kid tests positive? Will there be distance learning for the boys who need to be home for two weeks at a shot?

Am I the only one worrying about this stuff? Lakewood seems to thik Covid is over. I have no ideas. I know my boys (especially my 5 and 7 year olds) will not keep masks on all day. They'd try, but they'd keep them on the way they keep their yarmulkes on. Sometimes on their heads, but more often in their hands, in their pockets, in their mouths... I'm tired of quarentining and being careful. But I just don't see how this is going to work.

This is so dangerous.

HakarasHatov

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:07 am
Simple1 wrote:
Kids were going to camp all summer, so I see school as a continuation, nothing new.
cases were low in the summer, now its poping up accross communities.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:07 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I don’t know where you guys live, but my kids school send out a plan about following all CDC precautions
Mask when not SD. SD whenever possible. Lunch in classroom. Not sure but I think no recess.
Desks 6 feet apart . Mandatory quarantine when going on vacation. iPads provided to all kids in case distant learning is needed . No transportation.

I really hope that's not True recess is so important. my school they are staggering recess so the whole school isn't outside at once. also if the kids are playing outside they don't need to wear a mask. My school is taking precautions to the max!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:11 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I really hope that's not True recess is so important. my school they are staggering recess so the whole school isn't outside at once. also if the kids are playing outside they don't need to wear a mask. My school is taking precautions to the max!!

As long as kids can SD while outside, and the teacher supervises hand washing as soon as they return to the classroom, I think that recess could work, and should work. It will just take a little bit more vigilance on the part of the recess monitors.

SYA

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:17 am
What concerns me most is that if a parent has to quarantine, then the children should be in quarantine too and not be allowed into school.

If the parent was exposed there's a high chance she is coming down with it and within 2 weeks will have symptoms. In the meantime she is contagious. Her kids being home with her are now also potentially contagious. They could have caught it from her and their symptoms may soon emerge. Sending them to school just spreads the virus further.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:17 am
How do you think it would work if you wear masks and SD? First of all, everyone I spoke to agreed that it's really hard to wear masks for more than an hour. Imagine 9 to 4,5 four days a week, 9 to 12,2 the other two days - or wearing masks all day? For the rest of the school year? How is that even possible and how does that even make sense?

In addition, masks only work if you're going in and out and meeting new people. These kids will be in the same classroom day in and day out for the rest of the year. At some point, whatever one kid has everyone will be exposed to - masks or no masks, plexiglass or no plexiglass.

I'm laughing when I see the schools that put in plexiglass between the seats. Do they really think kids are going to sit eight hours a day in one little spot and not move? Don't you have to take off the masks to eat snacks and lunch? The masks/plexiglass are just window dressing in my opinion, and have no useful value whatsoever.

DVOM, the honest truth is that 98% of the kids I know - polled - have either gotten it or been exposed to a close family that has gotten it. So even if one or two kids who were not exposed before finally get it now, it's not going to spread the way it did in March and April. At least according to the info. we now have (that antibodies confer at least short term immunity).

That said, it's going to be hard for anybody who has not gotten it yet but is at high risk. I honestly don't know what they can do.

SYA

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:25 am
My boys' yeshiva and daughters' school have both sent out a covid policy.

Every child from pre1a will be given a cloth mask the first day. Younger grades will be encouraged to wear it all day but older ones it seems is mandatory. At times when SD is not enforceable, like by the bathroom, dismissal.... Masks will be mandatory.

Younger grades are having clear barriers by each desk (for both students and teachers) as younger children may take off the masks even though it'll be strongly encouraged.

Washing stations and Purell all around the building with frequent washing like before and after recess, lunch...

Temp checks before entering the building for all.

There are more rules but I don't remember all.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 27 2020, 8:31 am
I think that I probably have one of the few smart phones in the neighborhood and I mentioned to a couple of neighbors that Hatzolah of Rockland sent out a warning and they were totally unaware of this. One of them said that this news gets around eventually.
The frum publications that are free at grocery stores seem to have put information regarding the virus at the end of the publication. In other words, the reader sees numerous ads for the fun that can be had out there in shops and restaurants and don't forget to sponsor a kiddish in shul for all of your friends! Anyone reading these publications will assume that the doom and gloom are over and normal life has resumed.
People are also adverse to raising kids under a cloud of tension and anxiety (like my Great Depression and WW11 parents did) and don't want their kids to be aware that there is anything to be concerned with.
Personally, I believe that it will be a miracle if this doesn't cause another major spread and of course, everyone will blame the Jews.
I would rather homeschool than be part of this but I am not raising kids anymore so nobody is going to listen to me.
In some places, if people remove their kids from school, good luck getting back into one!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics