Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Now that schools are opening and winter will be coming......
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:40 am
Will I need to keep my kids home as a precaution it they have a sore throat or the sniffles?
If my dc has a fever for a day which does happen every so often will I have to quarantine for two weeks?
Before everything was shut down and we were just learning about Covid my son got sick. After he was better I kept him home for a week just as a precaution because I didn’t want him to give it to any other kids just in case he had it. Everyone thought I was crazy but I didn’t want to take a chance.

So now if your kids have the sniffles and cough will you be keeping them home?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:46 am
I always wished parents would keep their kids home when they have a bad cold. Colds are so contagious!
Or a sore throat without fever.,..
Maybe now our kids won’t be sick all winter!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:48 am
No. My kids have seasonal allergies and always have sore throats and the sniffles.
My DS is in school for a week and he vomited twice in school yesterday . Of course I picked him up from school. Two other kids in his class have a stomach bug too and were sick in school yesterday. It seemed to have been a 12-24 hr bug, because he’s feeling perfectly fine now. But vomiting is also a symptom of Covid in kids. I will assume it was a stomach bug and will not keep him home because of the possibility of Corona.
But, my kids have been symptomatic with Corona when I was sick with it back in March, so that’s why I have an easier time assuming it’s something else.

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:48 am
You shouldn't be sending your kid to school sick regardless of COVID19... If you know your child has PND, asthma, allergies etc and have discussed it with your it's different.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:51 am
Each school should very clearly set the expectations.
Our school is making parents sign a contract that we won’t send kids sick and need a negative covid test to return to school after symptoms (or wait 14 days(

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:56 am
Apparently there are supposed to be rapid tests coming out that are only $5 and these are more accurate than the previous rapid tests so this might be a game changer. Probably insurance will cover it because it sounds like it is done in a doctors office.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:00 am
My kids school said that if someone will send a sick child to school, even a cold or cough, they'll have to be isolated till someone comes to pick them up. They claim they'll be very strict with it.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:02 am
southernbubby wrote:
Apparently there are supposed to be rapid tests coming out that are only $5 and these are more accurate than the previous rapid tests so this might be a game changer. Probably insurance will cover it because it sounds like it is done in a doctors office.

Do you realize how disruptive it is to have to leave work in the middle of the day to pick up your kid and bring them to wait in the Dr office for a rapid test? Multiple times a year times however many children you have?

boots

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:13 am
wonder if the school nurse could do a rapid test or if that would open a whole other can of worms.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:16 am
My kids school asks us to to this self screening every day.

Self-Screening Questionnaire

You will receive a daily text reminder to self-screen your child for Covid symptoms. By sending your child(ren) to school, you are acknowledging that you've screened them and that they do not have any of the following symptoms.

1. Have you had a body temperature over 100 degrees Fahrenheit or have you used a fever reducer in the previous 24 hours to treat a body temperature over 100 degrees Fahrenheit?

2. Do you have a new cough that you cannot attribute to another health condition?

3. Do you have a new or worsening sore throat that you cannot attribute to another health condition?

4. Do you have new shortness of breath that you cannot attribute to another health condition?

5. Have you recently developed a complete loss of smell or taste?

Basically if my kid has symptoms that can be attributed to strep, an ear infection, seasonal allergies I dont have to keep them home. If I have any questions there is a full time school nurse that we can call and ask too. I think its pretty reasonable.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:46 am
naomi2 wrote:
Do you realize how disruptive it is to have to leave work in the middle of the day to pick up your kid and bring them to wait in the Dr office for a rapid test? Multiple times a year times however many children you have?

Hopefully urgent care centers will open before work and school hours. The whole situation sounds disruptive.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:56 am
Ours says your child will be waiting in a designated area for you to pick them up if they show up with symptoms.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:59 am
southernbubby wrote:

Hopefully urgent care centers will open before work and school hours. The whole situation sounds disruptive.

And who will watch my other kids before and after school hrs? Or should I just bring all of them along to the urgent care?
People don't seem to realize that " just wear a mask" "just get tested" " just stay home" has so many ramifications. It is an imposition on my life that is not worth containing this virus which can't be contained anyway. I feel very much like my freedoms are being imposed on and the restrictions are getting tighter as this virus weakens. Why?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Will I need to keep my kids home as a precaution it they have a sore throat or the sniffles?
If my dc has a fever for a day which does happen every so often will I have to quarantine for two weeks?
Before everything was shut down and we were just learning about Covid my son got sick. After he was better I kept him home for a week just as a precaution because I didn’t want him to give it to any other kids just in case he had it. Everyone thought I was crazy but I didn’t want to take a chance.

So now if your kids have the sniffles and cough will you be keeping them home?

You will need to keep the kids home as a precaution when they have a sore throat or the sniffles.

If your child has a fever for a day (no other covid symptoms), you will need to keep them home until they are fever free for 24 hours without the assistance of Tylenol.

Mothers

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:08 am
naomi2 wrote:
And who will watch my other kids before and after school hrs? Or should I just bring all of them along to the urgent care?
People don't seem to realize that " just wear a mask" "just get tested" " just stay home" has so many ramifications. It is an imposition on my life that is not worth containing this virus which can't be contained anyway. I feel very much like my freedoms are being imposed on and the restrictions are getting tighter as this virus weakens. Why?

I think everyone realizes that it is often uncomfortable and it’s very inconvenient for all of us, but when weighing inconveniences against saving lives - which should win out?

amother
Emerald

naomi2 wrote:

It's way less disruptive than having to stop working for several months. I think most will choose this in order to avoid the need for any further lockdowns.

But, yes, some people will never learn.

Chayalle

thunderstorm wrote:
No. My kids have seasonal allergies and always have sore throats and the sniffles.

I also have seasonal allergies, and I usually get them right before Pesach when the trees start blossoming..... That's pretty much what I thought I had the week after Purim, until I lost my sense of smell entirely and realized I had the coronavirus.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:11 am
naomi2 wrote:

Getting tighter? It was less tight for you in March when you were under stay-at-home orders??

If that's the case, sure. Keep your entire family at home until this all blows over. The rest of us will continue taking the precautions neccessary in order to ensure that life can be as normal as possible this year.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:17 am
Its actually is not about inconvenience. It is about not looking carefully at the big picture because face it, life is busy.

Heres the equation.

Child has symptoms, you suspect it is probably nothing. You need to go to work, really, really do.

If you send your kid and mask it with otc meds and your child was covid+ which probably looks like nothing much on most kids then the whole class of children might be sent home for 2 weeks. So thats 30 mothers who cant figure out childcare for 2 weeks instead of one mother figuring it out for a few days (probably, but even if it was 2 weeks, 30 vs 1 and the 30 includes the one).

If it will be a problem for your schedule, find a great place to do rapids and make plans now to how you will handle it so you dont have a huge last second scramble. Chances are all school children will have at least one cold, cough or sniffle over the entire winter. So plan for it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 8:35 am
naomi2 wrote:

So would a school or a class shut down if anyone comes down with it? What are working parents supposed to do if that happens? What is the policy regarding healthy children with infected family members? Are you saying infected people should simply go out in public and whoever catches, catches? Do we really know what winter, with all of the usual viruses, in addition to coronavirus will bring? Do you have proof that the virus has weakened? That's great news if it's true.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics