Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Never going to that area again!!! Please help me find a plac
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:36 pm
I was wondering if anybody know of a fruit and veggie market that has a lot of variety (think stuff you would get at a Mexican grocery like tomatillos and serrano peppers— raw of course for kashrus) near or around Boro park!!

I went to the carnival place in the Arab or Pakistan area a couple blocks from dahill and a block or 2 past avenue C and I got my stuff there.
But on the way back there was an Arab guy giving me the death look — all I saw was hatred in his eyes and it really unnerved me.
I’m terrified to go back to that area so I’d appreciate it if someone can recommend a place in Boro park or near Boro park where I can get what I need and feel safe walking in!
Thanks in advance

The stuff I want (tomatillos, serrano peppers etc) are not in the jewish stores so I have to go to somewhere non jewish to get what I need.

octopus

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:38 pm
I'm not familiar with that store but I do know that area and as a Jewish woman I don't feel safe over there at all! They do look at you with such hatred. It's real!

Last edited by octopus on Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:38 pm
How about Carnival on Ft Hamilton/60 or the other huge place on Ft Hamilton 65th?

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:51 pm
That’s quite a walk like 40 min from my place haha

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:51 pm
But I can always take a car.

Thanks!

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:52 pm
octopus wrote:
I'm not familiar with that store but I do know that area and as a Jewish woman I don't feel safe over there at all! They do look at you with such hatred. It's real!

Yes it was my first time there and it’s so funny whenever we take a car to anywhere the driver goes through that area

Stars

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:52 pm
Is there a Whole Foods near you?

exaustedmom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 4:54 pm
Definitely ft. Hamilton/60th street. Amazing produce

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:00 pm
I prefer 3 Guys from Brooklyn on Ft Hmltn & 65th. But it's far so I don't end up going.
Did you ever try any of the local Mexican Bodegas that carry some produce? They may have the tomatillos and peppers you're looking for.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:02 pm
I think I've seen those veggies at the fruit store on 49th Street & New Utrecht Ave.

Also, PrimeNow delivers in 2 hours with a minimum of $35 or $50 for delivery.
https://primenow.amazon.com/dp.....8UAV6
https://primenow.amazon.com/dp.....8UAV6

And Three Guys from Brooklyn on 65th Street offers delivery with a minimum. They have the best produce and you can just call in your full weeks order of fruits and vegetables at once.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:09 pm
Thank you everyone! It wouldn’t look funny walking in a Mexican tiny place if you’re a jewish woman lol?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:11 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thank you everyone! It wouldn’t look funny walking in a Mexican tiny place if you’re a jewish woman lol?

I walk in to our corner bodega all the time. Random veggies, paper towels, whatever is needed. Growing up, we did the same with our corner Italian bodega. Lemon heads candies anyone? Laugh

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:14 pm
Alright I guess I over think! I actually didn’t step into one get but I will soon lol.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 6:56 pm
Circus fruit on ft hamilton and 60th street also delivers if you have a minimum.

If you live closer to Kensington maybe King Tomato across from Shoprite would have what you need. Or Shoprite.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 7:06 pm
Maybe this place?
https://www.instagram.com/ourismarket/?hl=en

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:28 pm
There are a few fruit and veggie markets on Ditmas. Corner McDonald and 2 on both sides of East 5th

zigi

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:42 pm
corner store for soda etc and eggs. also fruit and veggies when I don't want to deal with the line in the larger grocery store

pause

Post Wed, Sep 02 2020, 11:45 pm
Another vote for Three Guys From Brooklyn

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:00 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

If you speak spanish they are very nice to you
In HS I hated being forced to take a foreign l.
Now Im very happy.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:55 am
When I lived in Brooklyn I shopped at bodegas all the time. My Spanish wasn't very good, so I didn't even try. Everyone there was extremely nice to me. I never had a bad experience with any Mexican run store.

When I lived in Manhattan I went to the Korean markets, and they were always extremely nice, too.

Just steer clear of the Arab/Muslim areas, and you should be fine. I've traveled all over the world and felt comfortable just about everywhere - except in Muslim areas. You're not a coward, you are being perceptive and smart.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries