Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Did your daughter/son come with all the school supplies list
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:55 am
The rulers, book covers, picture of your daughter, tissues, and reinforcements. Chumashim, everything! Were you able to get everything before day 1? And everything labeled. the age, gender. Is your child old enough to take care of it by themselves and any other important detail.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:06 pm
I don't like to send everything at once. I find a lot gets wasted. So I send half and then let my children or their norah let me know when they need more.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:18 pm
Yes. I have 6 kids in grades pre1a to 8.

Everybody went on the first day with the full list, labeled for both jewish and secular studies.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:21 pm
I have two who need school supplies. I got their whole list I give myself the first week to get it all to school. No I did not label them. My son in pre1a has a basket for supplies in his cubby with his name on the basket why do I need to label the supplies too? My 4th grader keeps his stuff between his desk and locker and I dont feel the need to label.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:29 pm
Generally yes, but this year was different, a lot of things got sold out/on backorder so I didn't have everything in time. I sent in what I had and I'll send the rest when it comes.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:33 pm
Some teachers in my kids school have a ridiculous policy that if they don't have all supplies on time, they get marked for irresponsibility. So we have everything ready on time. I think that they should start school with basic supplies and if they need specialty supplies during the year, we can send it then. The list is so long and so many things are not used at all or used just a couple of times.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 12:34 pm
Who cares about everyone else? How did it go for you, OP? Are you worried that the administration will come gunning, or your children will be teased, if they didn't bring in everything?

They won't.

But do try to get them what's on the list as soon as you can, it does help. You don't need to label every pencil, limit it to the things that cost more than, say, $5.

And don't forget to quadruple stock up at home on any supplies likely to need periodic replacement (pencils, glue sticks, etc) while they're at back to school sale prices.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 1:06 pm
I always heave everything ready for them before day 1, even the optional things on the list. As a kid, I was always missing half the list because my parents just didn’t care and/or didn’t want to spend the money (which they had, btw). I was always so embarrassed. I will never do that to my kids. I even gave birth 2 hours before school started last year, and my kids went to school on time with all of their stuff neatly organized and their outfits picked out.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 1:17 pm
We don't get our lists until after school starts. Makes the pressure much more intense. Suddenly we need things instantaneously that we had no idea about. Oh well. We've had to get used to it.

lilies

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 2:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We don't get our lists until after school starts. Makes the pressure much more intense. Suddenly we need things instantaneously that we had no idea about. Oh well. We've had to get used to it.

We get a list to have ready for the first day, and then the kids bring home a new list of each teacher's preferences. Banging head
Double the stress.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 2:37 pm
No, I was missing a couple of items, but nothing they needed immediately. I brought everything that was missing, except one thing to the office at lunch on Day #1. And then the last missing thing I sent with my child the morning of day 2. Phew.

Our school does a very reasonable short supply list. No pencils, kleenex, or anything like that, so it was not as challenging as many lists I've seen.

My kids are not old enough to handle it themselves. The oldest is only 6.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 2:41 pm
You can only do your best, if things are out of stock you may be stuck, but I do everything possible to have everything set up for that first day. First impressions are important - you don't want your kid's first impression of school to be a feeling of not being ready. Many teachers will go through the list and if they say "OK everyone take out your composition notebook" and the kid either doesn't have one or doesn't know what it is, they can get flustered and that's not a feeling you want on the first day.

If you don't get the list until after school starts that's a whole different story. But whatever information you have, use it as your mama bear weapon to get your kid started right.

Halevai my kids would be that prepared every day. We don't have the world's most organized genes here. We do our best. But for the first day at least we manage that extra push, firsts are the most impressionable.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 5:45 pm
lilies wrote:
We get a list to have ready for the first day, and then the kids bring home a new list of each teacher's preferences. Banging head
Double the stress.

That's awful. I wouldn't purchase from the first list if I knew this happened every year.

I never get a list ahead of time so I stock up on basics to keep in the house that I know we'll use, even throughout the year when things get lost. Pencils, sharpeners, glue sticks, glue, markers, crayons, hard 2 pocket folders, spiral & marble notebooks. Pencil cases that hold it all.
Binders, Hebrew notebooks, dividers and such I wait for the specifics.

momX4

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:30 pm
Yes. I always sent kids with everything the first day. Usually we dont have busses, so I help them shlep it.

I ordered labels for camp. I use the leftovers to label for school

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:40 pm
I send my kids with all the supplies on their list and everything is labeled. I even label each marker so when it rolls away it can be returned to them. I do this with all my preschool students supplies too so when they are all at the table doing a project they will know which glue stick and markers are theirs. The supplies tend to get mixed up fairly easily, especially at that age.

finprof

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:42 pm
The school supplied everything this year. I guess they were worried about Covid, but usually, yes they do come with everything.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:50 pm
I am wondering if some of this is cultural.
I've been teaching for decades in a chassidish oot school. The girls all come with all of their supplies, personalized labels, looking crisp and fresh in their pressed uniforms. Many get a fresh haircut and all have new shoes.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:53 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Some teachers in my kids school have a ridiculous policy that if they don't have all supplies on time, they get marked for irresponsibility. So we have everything ready on time. I think that they should start school with basic supplies and if they need specialty supplies during the year, we can send it then. The list is so long and so many things are not used at all or used just a couple of times.

That boils my blood.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 6:58 pm
Wanna add that I send everything but half of it. So if they ask for 8 glue sticks I buy 8 buy only send 4 and so on and so forth. In the middle of the year I send more of what's needed.

I taught for a while and felt that the longer the list the less the teacher had an handle on what the plans for the year were.

Also as a teacher I was very strict with my students about keeping their belongings in order. I ended up requiring less.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:13 pm
I'm stunned by all of this. Growing up in England, school supplies were the school's business. Notebooks, textbooks and stationary were all handed out as needed. As you got older the school supplies were rather despised, and people would bring their own pencil case, and later their own folders, but at primary school the basic supplies were always handed out at the teachers discretion.

After we were eleven, we had to provide our own pens and pencils, but there was never an extensive list. They gave out basic recommendations of two pens, two pencils, ruler etc, but really you could get what you liked. Textbooks were handed out by the school, and had to be returned at the end of the year. Notebooks were supplied by each teacher, and we had to take them home and cover them. We used leftover wallpaper, because it was stronger. We supplied our own loose leaf paper, but normally got an initial supply from the school. We went to school on the first day with an almost empty bag.

I suppose that's the difference between private and government funded education, but this thread has really startled me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children