Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o what have u spent $1000 on?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 3:59 pm
I know someone who has this watch:

https://www.jomashop.com/harry......html

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A different poster said they spent 1000 on a kids wardrobe
I'm trying to think what we ever spent 1k or more on.....
-a menorah
- car
- house
-braces
- plane tix for family to texas
- bris

Can't think of anything else in the last 10 yrs....

Sheitel!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

I am clearly not a maven, but I would not be able to tell the difference between this watch and a $100 watch.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I am clearly not a maven, but I would not be able to tell the difference between this watch and a $100 watch.

Same. I think it's absurd!!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Please, you think you could get a watch with this many diamonds for $100? I’m not saying it’s worth $20,000. Your paying for the name.. but the amount of diamonds would make this watch worth at least $2,000 / 3,000

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:36 pm
Please, you think you could get a watch with this many diamonds for $100? I’m not saying it’s worth $20,000. Your paying for the name.. but the amount of diamonds would make this watch worth at least $2,000 / 3,000

They could be Swarovski Crystal's for all I know. Obviously not a lot about diamonds Very Happy

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:06 pm

The diamonds are likely tiny.

Everyone spends on what they deem appropriate; I'm sure that I'm profligate in some areas, so I can't criticize people who are profligate in others. At least high-end watches are investment pieces that will hold substantial value for a long time. As long as you have the money ....

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:14 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The diamonds are likely tiny.

Everyone spends on what they deem appropriate; I'm sure that I'm profligate in some areas, so I can't criticize people who are profligate in others. At least high-end watches are investment pieces that will hold substantial value for a long time. As long as you have the money ....

Until they get stolen. I guess someone could pull it off an arm Hiding

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:24 pm
QueensMama wrote:
This pair:

https://www.bloomingdales.com/.....D_BwE

They are absolutely stunning... I hope they are comfortable! When do you wear them? How often and what sort of occasion?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:34 pm
This summer we had to replace the back gutter on my house. $1000 for that.

I'm also installing a sump pump in my basement. That's also going to be a pretty penny.

Can you tell I had a problem with my basement flooding this summer?

shanie5

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:26 pm
When I first read about the $20,000 watch, I also thought "oy, vey, what a waste, why would someone spend that kind of money on a watch?"
But then op explained her reasoning. And I bet when she said to herself "One day I will get a nice watch" she was probably hoping for something worth a few hundred dollars. And Hashem has obviously been good to them. No one who struggled hard would spend that kind of $$ on a watch unless they were very well off now So GOOD FOR YOU AMOTHER CHARTREUSE! Wear it in good health and for many many years.

QueensMama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:38 pm
Moonlight wrote:
They are absolutely stunning... I hope they are comfortable! When do you wear them? How often and what sort of occasion?

I thought it was clear from my first post that I was kidding. I guess it wasn't. I do not own a Lexus, a fur coat, or this pair of shoes. I'd never wear these shoes, even if they were free. Not in this lifetime. Smile As for the plastic surgery...not yet. Maybe one day in the far off future I'll want a facelift.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:41 pm
QueensMama wrote:
I thought it was clear from my first post that I was kidding. I guess it wasn't. I do not own a Lexus, a fur coat, or this pair of shoes. I'd never wear these shoes, even if they were free. Not in this lifetime. Smile As for the plastic surgery...not yet. Maybe one day in the far off future I'll want a facelift.

Oh gosh I didnt think u were joking. I thought you were wealthy

QueensMama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:47 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Oh gosh I didnt think u were joking. I thought you were wealthy

Who says I'm not wealthy? It's irrelevant how much my bank account holds. None of these so-called luxury items appeal to me. A beautiful wig, yes. A nice vacation in beautiful resort, yes. A 20,000- watch? I can't fathom why someone would want such an item. Oh wait, I can! To show it off. Somehow I can't imagine this is an item she wears solely around the house for her own pleasure.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:52 pm
QueensMama wrote:
Who says I'm not wealthy? It's irrelevant how much my bank account holds. None of these so-called luxury items appeal to me. A beautiful wig, yes. A nice vacation in beautiful resort, yes. A 20,000- watch? I can't fathom why someone would want such an item. Oh wait, I can! To show it off. Somehow I can't imagine this is an item she wears solely around the house for her own pleasure.

Would you wear your beautiful wig only around your house and go out with a mop on your head? Why can’t the same be true for her beautiful watch?

QueensMama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:53 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Would you wear your beautiful wig only around your house and go out with a mop on your head? Why can’t the same be true for her beautiful watch?

The comparison is illogical to me.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:54 pm

Certainly prettier than my 9.98$ one from Walmart but can’t imagine why this is worth 20 grand?

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:59 pm
QueensMama wrote:
The comparison is illogical to me.

I don’t see why. Any piece of clothing/wig/jewelry anyone gets is what they’d want to wear in public. Not necessarily to show off but part of enjoying the item is using it. While it might be more appropriate to leave the house in rags and only dress up at home, that’s not the way of the world. So your wishing for a beautiful wig is not all that different than others wishing for those Jimmy Choos we thought you own.

QueensMama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:11 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I don’t see why. Any piece of clothing/wig/jewelry anyone gets is what they’d want to wear in public. Not necessarily to show off but part of enjoying the item is using it. While it might be more appropriate to leave the house in rags and only dress up at home, that’s not the way of the world. So your wishing for a beautiful wig is not all that different than others wishing for those 4K shoes we thought you own.

I'll try to explain, but I feel like we're talking two different languages.

I own several beautiful wigs. They are bouncy and glossy and the exact color my hair used to be. When I wear my wigs, I feel young and beautiful. I wear then indoors and outdoors because feeling young and beautiful is the way I like to feel. When I go to a beautiful resort, I enjoy being wined and dined. I enjoy seeing beautiful scenery. I enjoy plush beds and soft linens. I. Me. My body enjoys these luxuries. Does that make me a small person to enjoy such luxuries? Not related to my current point.

Now what would posess a person to buy a $20,000 watch in a world with numerous beautiful watches that don't cost the amount of $$ that could feed a family for a year? Does it tell time better? Does it feel different on the arm? is it the only way to get a beautiful timepiece? Does she look more beautiful in it?

It is a status symbol. It is a way to signal to the world that you've made it. It isn't for her, but for others. I have no other way to explain such a purchase. Perhaps you do. I'm willing to hear it.

(OP does not need to justify her purchase to me. It's her $$, her choice of how to spend it. But since she chose to let us know all about it, I feel free to let my opinion be known about it as well.)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:17 pm
QueensMama wrote:
I'll try to explain, but I feel like we're talking two different languages.

I own several beautiful wigs. They are bouncy and glossy and the exact color my hair used to be. When I wear my wigs, I feel young and beautiful. I wear then indoors and outdoors because feeling young and beautiful is the way I like to feel. When I go to a beautiful resort, I enjoy being wined and dined. I enjoy seeing beautiful scenery. I enjoy plush beds and soft linens. I. Me. My body enjoys these luxuries. Does that make me a small person to enjoy such luxuries? Not related to my current point.

Now what would posess a person to buy a $20,000 watch in a world with numerous beautiful watches that don't cost the amount of $$ that could feed a family for a year? Does it tell time better? Does it feel different on the arm? is it the only way to get a beautiful timepiece? Does she look more beautiful in it?

It is a status symbol. It is a way to signal to the world that you've made it. It isn't for her, but for others. I have no other way to explain such a purchase. Perhaps you do. I'm willing to hear it.

(OP does not need to justify her purchase to me. It's her $$, her choice of how to spend it. But since she chose to let us know all about it, I feel free to let my opinion be known about it as well.)

The person I know wears it under her sweater, and nobody sees it. It was a 50th anniversary gift from her husband.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics