Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Easy lunch ideas for a public school teacher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 4:55 pm
I've made my way with peanut butter sandwiches in recent years (they have no policy against it), but I'd like a little variety.

What are some easy ideas?

I don't like tuna, egg salad, cream cheese, and quinoa.

Java

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 4:57 pm
Salad in a tupperware with dressing in another small container, maybe a bag of chinese noodles or nish nosh crackers too
Yogurts are good if that fills you up enough
Leftover schnitzel or meat sandwiches if you have a fridge at work
baby carrots or mini peppers , chumus or another protein or avocado and pita chips or crackers

Stars

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 5:05 pm
Crackers and guacamole
Fruit, yogurt, granola
Soup in a thermos with bread or crackers
Fruit smoothie in a thermos
Overnight oats
Muffins and fruit
Fried rice with suateed veggies
Fresh cut veggies with dip
Chickpeas and corn roasted In the oven with some spices

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 5:09 pm
I am the queen of tradition soup and oatmeal packets.
I also take a milk from the kitchen and keep a box of cereal in a hidden spot.
When I feel fancy, I’ll make a cold macaroni salad.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've made my way with peanut butter sandwiches in recent years (they have no policy against it), but I'd like a little variety.

What are some easy ideas?

I don't like tuna, egg salad, cream cheese, and quinoa.

Feta, mint and cucumber in a pita
Mashed chickpea salad sandwich
Tomato mozzarella basil sandwich
Chicken salad sandwich
Turkey and honey mustard sandwich

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 5:14 pm
I enjoy a package of turkey breast quickly made into a sandwich.
Keep melba toast and tuna pouches at work for emergencies. Kind bars and natural fruit leather too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:29 pm
bananas4bananas wrote:
Salad in a tupperware with dressing in another small container, maybe a bag of chinese noodles or nish nosh crackers too
Yogurts are good if that fills you up enough
Leftover schnitzel or meat sandwiches if you have a fridge at work
baby carrots or mini peppers , chumus or another protein or avocado and pita chips or crackers

These are all good ideas, some of which might be workable.

I usually take a yogurt for breakfast, so I wouldn't want another one for lunch.

Salad and dressing I do from time to time, but usually only if it's leftovers or if I buy one. I don't have the patience to prepare salad just for lunch on a specific day.

Leftover schnitzel or meat sandwiches is what I used to do at least once a week, as we do have a fridge. However, it seems to me that other teachers are scandalized by the idea of putting food in a public area at this point. There's a lot of hysteria about the virus. The idea of it wouldn't bother me personally, but I feel funny.

I often bring pretzels/peppers/carrots and chumus, but I don't find that it's enough for lunch. I come home really hungry and ready to collapse... just in time to start Mommying.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I enjoy a package of turkey breast quickly made into a sandwich.
Keep melba toast and tuna pouches at work for emergencies. Kind bars and natural fruit leather too.

I must have posted about this last year, since I think I remember these very same suggestions.

The problem is the fridge area, as I mentioned above.

Kind bars and fruit leather don't do it for me, even in a pinch.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:31 pm
Hard boiled eggs
Soup (mini crock pots are wonderful for reheating thinngs)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:31 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Feta, mint and cucumber in a pita
Mashed chickpea salad sandwich
Tomato mozzarella basil sandwich
Chicken salad sandwich
Turkey and honey mustard sandwich

What's mashed chickpea salad?

I would try the next few but for the fridge issue... do you think I should just go for it anyway?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:32 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Hard boiled eggs
Soup (mini crock pots are wonderful for reheating thinngs)

I actually brought soup in a thermos today. I just find it somewhat annoying.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I am the queen of tradition soup and oatmeal packets.
I also take a milk from the kitchen and keep a box of cereal in a hidden spot.
When I feel fancy, I’ll make a cold macaroni salad.

I don't think we have hot water!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:34 pm
Stars wrote:
Crackers and guacamole
Fruit, yogurt, granola
Soup in a thermos with bread or crackers
Fruit smoothie in a thermos
Overnight oats
Muffins and fruit
Fried rice with suateed veggies
Fresh cut veggies with dip
Chickpeas and corn roasted In the oven with some spices

Thanks for the ideas. I see lots of teachers bringing such things.

Do most of these things hold you over for lunch, though? I feel like I need something more substantial to get me through. Most of these are more breakfast foods for me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
These are all good ideas, some of which might be workable.

I usually take a yogurt for breakfast, so I wouldn't want another one for lunch.

Salad and dressing I do from time to time, but usually only if it's leftovers or if I buy one. I don't have the patience to prepare salad just for lunch on a specific day.

Leftover schnitzel or meat sandwiches is what I used to do at least once a week, as we do have a fridge. However, it seems to me that other teachers are scandalized by the idea of putting food in a public area at this point. There's a lot of hysteria about the virus. The idea of it wouldn't bother me personally, but I feel funny.

I often bring pretzels/peppers/carrots and chumus, but I don't find that it's enough for lunch. I come home really hungry and ready to collapse... just in time to start Mommying.

It’s funny because whenever I bring chicken (like leftovers) from dinner I DONT out in the fridge and it’s totally fine because it’s only out for a few hours. Any food I bring I never put in the fridge. But if you feel strongly are refrigerating you can always get a lunch bag with an ice pack. I also work in a public school btw and I live off bagels and cream cheese and pasta 🙈

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I must have posted about this last year, since I think I remember these very same suggestions.

Use an insulated lunch bag with mini ice packs. That's what I do.
For me personally, I agree, A yogurt etc is not very filling.
I either eat a sandwich or cold pasta salad, mostly. I need carbs to fill up. Sometimes I will spread cream cheese between those larger Israeli brand crackers and eat a few of those.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Use an insulated lunch bag with mini ice packs. That's what I do.
For me personally, I agree, A yogurt etc is not very filling.
I either eat a sandwich or cold pasta salad, mostly. I need carbs to fill up. Sometimes I will spread cream cheese between those larger Israeli brand crackers and eat a few of those.

Oh, smart! Do you have separate bags for dairy and meat? (Or do you never bring meat?)

Also, how do you make sure that you actually put the ice packs back in the freezer? Knowing myself, I will forget. Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
It’s funny because whenever I bring chicken (like leftovers) from dinner I DONT out in the fridge and it’s totally fine because it’s only out for a few hours. Any food I bring I never put in the fridge. But if you feel strongly are refrigerating you can always get a lunch bag with an ice pack. I also work in a public school btw and I live off bagels and cream cheese and pasta 🙈

I actually don't care too much about the refrigeration and have often done just that. I just thought I was a nutcase...

I can't eat bagels due to TMJ issues. Sad

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh, smart! Do you have separate bags for dairy and meat? (Or do you never bring meat?)

Also, how do you make sure that you actually put the ice packs back in the freezer? Knowing myself, I will forget. Can't Believe It

I put all my food in plastic containers or sandwich bags before putting it into my lunch bag. So I don't need a actual separate lunch bag.

I buy several mini freeze packs at a time--you can easily find a package that comes with a few. That way even if I forget one to put the pack back in the freezer I always have a reserve of already frozen ones.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually don't care too much about the refrigeration and have often done just that. I just thought I was a nutcase...

I can't eat bagels due to TMJ issues. Sad

Not a nut case at all! (Or at least I don’t consider myself to be lol). I read your previous post and there’s no reason you need separate milchigs and fleishigs lunch bags since I assume you’ll have your food wrapped up or in ziplocs etc. and in terms of ice packs you can just get a bunch like these: Fit & Fresh Cool Coolers Slim... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C.....share

That way you don’t have to worry if you forget it in your bag.

And yeah I totally need carbs to be full hence my usual bagels or pasta but if you can’t have bagels then maybe cream cheese sandwiches on regular bread? Pizza? Wraps? Quesadillas if you can be bothered to make it ahead of time. And then leftovers from dinner....

I am picky (don’t like fish, non melted cheese, quinoa, etc) and need carbs so super healthy lunches are out for me!)

ETA just realized you don’t like cream cheese so maybe some other type of spread like a dip you like in a sandwich? Or bring pita and a dip?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I bring a turkey sandwich with me and keep it in my handbag until lunch. I don't use the fridge.
I keep shelf stable items at work in case I forget lunch. Beef jerky, rice cakes, tuna, crackers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics